Combines

A local TX combine crashed on the road at the weekend, I would know the owner but not very well, he is ok thank God.
I saw a photo but won’t post it as it may be poor taste to the gentleman involved.
He was travelling down a gentle but long hill and apparently something went on the hydrostatic drive and she gathered pace down the hill clipped the ditch and rolled. It looks to be a complete writeoff.
Should the brakes still function on those if the hydro motor fails? One would assume it surely should.

A local TX combine crashed on the road at the weekend, I would know the owner but not very well, he is ok thank God.
I saw a photo but won’t post it as it may be poor taste to the gentleman involved.
He was travelling down a gentle but long hill and apparently something went on the hydrostatic drive and she gathered pace down the hill clipped the ditch and rolled. It looks to be a complete writeoff.
Should the brakes still function on those if the hydro motor fails? One would assume it surely should.
The brakes should work but I know a case of a NH self propelled where it was coming down a steep hill, driver decided to change down a gear and then discovered the brakes weren't working, once in neutral it was a runaway.

62? saw a video last night of a 62 on its side. they were trying to roll it back onto the wheels. some amount of damage done. what surprised me was where some of the damage was. combine on its right and yet the left took a beating too

The brakes should work but I know a case of a NH self propelled where it was coming down a steep hill, driver decided to change down a gear and then discovered the brakes weren't working, once in neutral it was a runaway.
On the Deutz
If the splined collar on the output shaft to the reduction hub at either wheel slides over you lose drive. The breaks are on this shaft so at best you have one brake. The handbrake is on the differential. The y can be driven for a long time in dusty conditions without using the brakes and you might not realize one or the other are not working.

62? saw a video last night of a 62 on its side. they were trying to roll it back onto the wheels. some amount of damage done. what surprised me was where some of the damage was. combine on its right and yet the left took a beating too
Yes a TX 62. It didn’t just flip onto its side it rolled over at least 360 if not more. He was lucky to come out of it with minor injuries.
Edit, of course it was 360 plus 90 as it ended up lying on its side.
Corrected again!!!

Last edited:
On the Deutz
If the splined collar on the output shaft to the reduction hub at either wheel slides over you lose drive. The breaks are on this shaft so at best you have one brake. The handbrake is on the differential. The y can be driven for a long time in dusty conditions without using the brakes and you might not realize one or the other are not working.
Brakes are a major source of combine fire around here. On flat ground brakes are rarely used on hydrostatic combines and calipers have a habit of getting stuck out when they are applied. There are a fair few combines operating with the brakes disconnected. Obviously not an option on hilly ground.

Brakes are a major source of combine fire around here. On flat ground brakes are rarely used on hydrostatic combines and calipers have a habit of getting stuck out when they are applied. There are a fair few combines operating with the brakes disconnected. Obviously not an option on hilly ground.
I pour water on the callipers before I drive on the road . Handbrake on beeper is important to have working.

Ya I'll second that, never use the breaks on the combine, this year I changed from 4th to 2nd and started rolling so I touched the brakes smell of burning half way round the headland brake was slightly stuck, could have easily resulted in a fire. On the silage harvester I'd use them occasionally getting in a tight gate or if you needed to turn real sharp, that little bit of use stops any locking on issues.

I left the handbrake on our MF307 combine years ago as I drove across one field in second gear to get to another. Halfway there I could smell the burning. Luckily nothing ignited but I made sure the warning light was working on the next combine.

Seen that video too & a few photos, only for the number being visible you wouldn't even know what range it was, lucky man to be alive.

Did it end up at 6 o Clock ?
Ah I’d say twas earlier as he was heading out to cut a field😂😂.
The best bit would have been if he could have put out the unloading auger he could have started unloading and the grain would have fallen back into the tank to keep the cycle going. Perceived Yield would have been massive.

The combines still going well .

That’s something you’d expect to see on a former collective farm in Germany.

Did Mahon & McPhilips sell them? I think I have a brochure on Fortschritt combines (in green) in my collection.
Fortschritt made a massive range of agricultural equipment from ploughs to off road lorries to milking machines and even food processing equipment.

That’s something you’d expect to see on a former collective farm in Germany.

Did Mahon & McPhilips sell them? I think I have a brochure on Fortschritt combines (in green) in my collection.
Fortschritt made a massive range of agricultural equipment from ploughs to off road lorries to milking machines and even food processing equipment.

Traynors sold them , as far as I remember

The rougher of the E514 would have cut a lot of corn, peas & beans here, he had an E512 before that, the E514 went into semiretirement for a time in the nineties when he bought an E526, but it was not good and when he retired from contracting he sold it and bought the second E514.

He bought the second one for parts but allowed it was better than his own so didn't break it. I think he has another 1 for parts

Lynch and Mac Carthy in Cork sold a lot of Fortschritt self propelled forage harvesters when they started up first back in the late seventies early eighties. They seemed to go fairly well but they didn’t stick with them for too long.

Back