Cow down

Have suckler cow calved 6 days no issues.went out last night an she wouldn't get up.same this morning. Got vet out said was e.coli mastitis. Not eating very much.am injecting her for next couple days.hard to no how she will fair.any ideas anything I can give to give here a good pick me up.turned her this evening

Have suckler cow calved 6 days no issues.went out last night an she wouldn't get up.same this morning. Got vet out said was e.coli mastitis. Not eating very much.am injecting her for next couple days.hard to no how she will fair.any ideas anything I can give to give here a good pick me up.turned her this evening
What age is the cow.
Is there pressure on her udder.

7 year old .no calf is sucking away.watery substance in 1 quarter no crud quarter not hot to touch.vet said e.coli

Had a very good vet here years ago pumped water with some powder mixed in straight into the vein to dilute the poison in the blood. Worked very well. Never seen it done before or since.
There's boluses you get to give for mastitis. Would be no harm.
https://countryfarmsupplies.com/pro...id=c7c2e915b&pr_rec_pid=8455127990615&pr_ref_Ivy no harm either to get some interest in eating back. Country farm supplies sell Humates for stock. That would soak up the poison in her system. But it would also soak up antibiotics. So it'd be solely a personal call.

We pumped 2 buckets of warm water mixed with whatever he put in it down the throat. The calf has quarter emptied with her lying down. I'm after ideas to get her up

I'd be giving her electrolytes, and I would give her a bottle of calcium.
Keep strugging out the quarter and bathe it if it gets hot.
I wouldn't try to get her up, she will have to do that herself.

Had a very good vet here years ago pumped water with some powder mixed in straight into the vein to dilute the poison in the blood. Worked very well. Never seen it done before or since.
There's boluses you get to give for mastitis. Would be no harm.
https://countryfarmsupplies.com/pro...id=c7c2e915b&pr_rec_pid=8455127990615&pr_ref_Ivy no harm either to get some interest in eating back. Country farm supplies sell Humates for stock. That would soak up the poison in her system. But it would also soak up antibiotics. So it'd be solely a personal call.
You might have the same vets as us so P mc M in Galway, what it was was cooled boiled water mixed with a electrolyte powder the same as you'd give a calf and pumped into the vein. He put in 3 or so litres of the mixture in and it saved her really I'd say

I’ve put many bottles of cal mag in the vein. Being in a low mag area it was all we ever used (just as an insurance)
Just be aware that there is no mg in the calcium bottles any more, you need the magniject aswell just be sure not to put it into the vein or you will kill them

Just be aware that there is no mg in the calcium bottles any more, you need the magniject aswell just be sure not to put it into the vein or you will kill them
I’m more than 20 years away from cows now. Did occasionally put 20mm of straight mag into a 100mm bottle of straight calcium. Didn’t know they stopped doing calmag

You might have the same vets as us so P mc M in Galway, what it was was cooled boiled water mixed with a electrolyte powder the same as you'd give a calf and pumped into the vein. He put in 3 or so litres of the mixture in and it saved her really I'd say
This was a Cork vet working in a wexford practice. He's gone now for a few years. The boiled water and electrolyte is ringing bells now alright.
My father and myself were amazed at him doing it. This vet was always a league ahead of any that ever called here.
One we had was on her last legs and very weak and straight away it picked her up.
Vets since it'd be pumping down the throat.

Back