Crush Headgate

I want to build a new crush. Existing one can take 3 cows. Was thinking of new one to take 10 cows. Is this too many if your trying to fill the crush on your own? I see with 3 cows that sometimes it can be difficult to get the first cow to move all the way in meaning the last 2 start to back out etc. How hard is it to fill a crush with 10 cows? Also, does a crush fall under the farm safety grant?

I have come across 2m gates ideal to make the crush with very strong steel. Just wondering as these gates are second hand would they be approved under the grant? These gates will be gone by tomorrow so must decide if I will buy them.

I want to build a new crush. Existing one can take 3 cows. Was thinking of new one to take 10 cows. Is this too many if your trying to fill the crush on your own? I see with 3 cows that sometimes it can be difficult to get the first cow to move all the way in meaning the last 2 start to back out etc. How hard is it to fill a crush with 10 cows? Also, does a crush fall under the farm safety grant?

I have come across 2m gates ideal to make the crush with very strong steel. Just wondering as these gates are second hand would they be approved under the grant? These gates will be gone by tomorrow so must decide if I will buy them.

Bit of studying for you: http://grandin.com/design/design.html
Also worth studying her on Youtube.

Some ant-backer uppers in the race would help?

i dont know where you stand for a grant, but secondhand stuff isnt grant aidable.
or not that i know of anyways.

as for a long crush, i have one here that ill hold ten cows,
tbh, its just as hard to fill as a 4 cow one.

the lth of the crush wouldnt worry me as much as they way id have of filling it, i put a curved entrance into mine, it tapers from about 7' wide down to just the width of the gate.
its a good job for geting them in.

Is it okay to use 5 of the 2m gates to make the crush or use permanent fixed steelwork (wall running on one side)?

Is it okay to use 5 of the 2m gates to make the crush or use permanent fixed steelwork (wall running on one side)?

id like gates on the side of our crush instead of wall and pipes. did a crush this way for a man, with a step for vet to stand on at opposite side, very good job for testing, pourons, or any work at cattle. have heard curves entrance will make it easier to fill and less backing out, anyone used the anti reverse bars or butteryfly gates?

jesus i wouldnt know, what kind of gates are they for starters?

and would you ever need to open them....

personally, if it was me, id be buying 50mm galv pipe and posts and just concrete the whole lot in.

jesus i wouldnt know, what kind of gates are they for starters?

and would you ever need to open them....

personally, if it was me, id be buying 50mm galv pipe and posts and just concrete the whole lot in.

Had animals go down in the crush ocasionally, very handy to be able to open the side, I've just the section behind the head gate opening and an animal went down at the back of the crush and we had to cut out 2 bars to free him.

Had animals go down in the crush ocasionally, very handy to be able to open the side, I've just the section behind the head gate opening and an animal went down at the back of the crush and we had to cut out 2 bars to free him.
yeah, id agree with that.
mind you, ive never really needed to do it.
there is a calving gate just behind the head gate on mine, so i can open it, other than that its bars all the way down.

I've two gates on mine one after the head gate and the second just behind that so if I have an animal in the head gate in can open the second gate and walk in behind her instead of climbing over the bars, very handy for doing A.I or any kind of work at the back of the animal, easy access is worth anything

My father bursted his hand up badly last week doing something he shouldn't have been doing with the crush [emoji29] It will need to be made a little more user friendly.

Any of ye lads have a recommendation for a simple removable backing bar? I see some on the Internet for a few 100 and more much simpler ones for a lot less. Have no problem making one either if anyone has done that.

Also for the head scoop, are any of these demountable? This would be a must here given the shed and does it need to have a clear space on both sides of the head gate (something we don't have)

Thanks.

My father bursted his hand up badly last week doing something he shouldn't have been doing with the crush [emoji29] It will need to be made a little more user friendly.

Any of ye lads have a recommendation for a simple removable backing bar? I see some on the Internet for a few 100 and more much simpler ones for a lot less. Have no problem making one either if anyone has done that.

Also for the head scoop, are any of these demountable? This would be a must here given the shed and does it need to have a clear space on both sides of the head gate (something we don't have)

Thanks.

Our morris scoop is de mountable, simply has a small length of box section on the crush that it slides on to, then two bolts tighten down on it. Have never taken if off mind you. But we have had it mounted to the side we least use so it's not a problem as such.

Would a bar stuck through with a 'ratchet' type slide on the race not work as a backing bar, seriously simple, you o have to be fast putting it in, but it works.

(you see the ratchet in this vid) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbxkHdjK8Xo

I was thinking more like the first one to be honest.

What were you thinking Michael?

I think [MENTION=2898]diesel power[/MENTION] made his own :thumbup:

I was thinking more like the first one to be honest.

What were you thinking Michael?

I think [MENTION=2898]diesel power[/MENTION] made his own :thumbup:

I haven't really decided on any particular type really. I thought the second one might be handy, as the cattle are supposed to be able to walk under it, and then it closes behind them. That appealed to me as I'm always alone when handling cattle, and so many times the first beast to go into the crush usually goes right to the front and then proceeds to promptly reverse back down pushing back any others that were following in. :angry: :D

I haven't really decided on any particular type really. I thought the second one might be handy, as the cattle are supposed to be able to walk under it, and then it closes behind them. That appealed to me as I'm always alone when handling cattle, and so many times the first beast to go into the crush usually goes right to the front and then proceeds to promptly reverse back down pushing back any others that were following in. :angry: :D

Or like this fecker did, licked the headgate and wouldn't go through :rolleyes:

Nabbed him on Saturday by opening it to the last :rolleyes: and closing it as he went along.

Wouldn't let me do it yesterday.

Only thing I see with the butterfly is would it suit nervous cattle and those of all sizes?

Of the backing bars ive looked at the ones that hinge up as they go forward seem a better idea to me, the ones that hinge straight forward would worry me that they could get wedged under the ribs if an animal go forced back ontop of it.

Also I'd be a keen to see that there's a decent lump of a plate welded on the end of the bar rather than just a plastic cap

Nabbed him on Saturday by opening it to the last :rolleyes: and closing it as he went along.

Only thing I see with the butterfly is would it suit nervous cattle and those of all sizes?

I wasn't even thinking about the butterfly one, although it is interesting, and aimed at solving the problem I mentioned. Their ordinary backing bar is hinged some way that allows it to lift as cattle walk under it, and it locks once it drops behind them..... in theory anyway. It has the advantage of also being used as a backing bar is intended, ie sliding it up behind whatever is in the crush to keep them tight.

With the morris type head lock you can leave it open and the gate and with mine i can walk up behind then and grab the rear handle to lock them:thumbup:

http://www.morrislivestockequipment.co.uk/2.html

Not sure if they make just a head gate, but if they do.... look no further!

Have the vary width clipping crush here, with a digital weigher, fantastic bit of kit, well built and their easy to deal with, can make alterations to suit you.

so have i!!:thumbup2:
loverly crush to use
love the fact it has the handle both ends so you can walk the animal in and lock it with out getting in front of the beast

hope ye dont mind me askin lads, do you find the opening side gates are handy enough to use or are they a bit fidly opening and closing them, like would you say it would be easier if it was a bit lower and you could reach in over it just to do there backs?

basically, im looking at the first side panel on our crush atm, going to build a new panel for it as, its to high when working on weanlings, but a bit low when theres big cattle on a platform scales. Im thinking of making a panel with 4 doors, 2 up top for shaving backs/working on smaller cattle, and then 2 under for the odd times feet need to be worked on.

anyone else got anything they would add to a side panel if they were doing one? kinda throwing all the possible ideas around in the head atm as would like to get it set up right the first time.

dont need to set it up for calving or caesareans as we have a seperate pen set up for that should the need arise,

hope ye dont mind me askin lads, do you find the opening side gates are handy enough to use or are they a bit fidly opening and closing them, like would you say it would be easier if it was a bit lower and you could reach in over it just to do there backs?

basically, im looking at the first side panel on our crush atm, going to build a new panel for it as, its to high when working on weanlings, but a bit low when theres big cattle on a platform scales. Im thinking of making a panel with 4 doors, 2 up top for shaving backs/working on smaller cattle, and then 2 under for the odd times feet need to be worked on.

anyone else got anything they would add to a side panel if they were doing one? kinda throwing all the possible ideas around in the head atm as would like to get it set up right the first time.

dont need to set it up for calving or caesareans as we have a seperate pen set up for that should the need arise,
I would add a removable deep shelf, shallow bucket type thing for holding wormers, dehorners & the like...everything sits on the wall here, till the wind blows it off or a cow knocks it.

I would add a removable deep shelf, shallow bucket type thing for holding wormers, dehorners & the like...everything sits on the wall here, till the wind blows it off or a cow knocks it.

Not a bad idea that! We do generally use the hook drenched, so stick the loader over the crush and hang the bottle from it, can hang the clippers from it with a Bungy cord to, if using pour ons it's normally bottle on the back with a piped applicator yoke, but would still be handy!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417045103.937154.jpg
This is what I had been thinking of, the top panel could fold down, or the 2 doors could open out, was going to keep it the same height as the rest of race, but after running cattle up the crush last few days I wondered would it be aswell go higher and go with 4 opening doors, especially when there would be a scales in the bottom. I welded on another couple of tabs today to raise the panel up just to try it out and see what it's like when we next use the crush, but it'd be far to high to work on weanlings

Back