Dairying

Yes 75 cows in total no other animal
Yes mood has improved I would say .
I think people around me seem pleased that I gave them up because as ye know I was doing a lot of complaining!
What I miss most about the cows is the grazing,dry cattle can do alot of walking and in poor weather and can do alot of damage .
Also with the dry cattle like I have 5 bunches which is not ideal .

What 5 bunches do you have, and how can you reduce that? 1st yr of no replacements here, and I'm certainly not missing not having that extra bunch of animals, I'd be off putting them in paddocks right now normally.

2 bunches of 40 yearlings each (contract rearing heifers)
1 bunch of 2 year olds
1'bunch of one year old bullocks
I bunch of calves .
I can't reduce it because if weather gets messy again I would even have to split the bigger bunches in half as well ...

I actually have a somewhat similar dilemma here, if I lost my rented land, and derogatory disappeared I'd be back to about 80cows also (without any followers). I absolutely need to put in more cubicles here for the milkers which I will be this summer in some format or other, however retrofitting 40 cubicles in an existing shed for about 60k with a dairywashings tank is looking a much much more safer idea than my original bigger plan of 60 Cubicles in a major yard redesign that looks like it won't stop at 150k. Just milk afew less cows moving forwards then.
You're a very long time talking about putting in these cubicles....

2 bunches of 40 yearlings each (contract rearing heifers)
1 bunch of 2 year olds
1'bunch of one year old bullocks
I bunch of calves .
I can't reduce it because if weather gets messy again I would even have to split the bigger bunches in half as well ...
What do you want the bullocks for? Just get rid of them and keep your system simple

Yes 75 cows in total no other animal
Yes mood has improved I would say .
I think people around me seem pleased that I gave them up because as ye know I was doing a lot of complaining!
What I miss most about the cows is the grazing,dry cattle can do alot of walking and in poor weather and can do alot of damage .
Also with the dry cattle like I have 5 bunches which is not ideal .
How do you know you wont be complaining if you get back into cows?

I need the bullocks because I wouldn't have enough cattle otherwise.

Isn't that what ye are here for to listen to me complaining 😂 !!
Why do you need so many cattle?

Are you growing too much grass?

Cut back on fertiliser or lease out a few acres, or sow a bit of barley.

I do sell 1st cut silage and I would have to sell 2nd cut if it is Only contract heifers I would have for the winter and it's a thing I don't really like doing like lads can bog the place with fertiliser and I can't say much about it .
And I don't want to take on a second lad with heifers it can get messy then so then I have to buy calves to make up the slack if I only had the heifers my numbers would be small and it's not that I am putting out much fert it's just all young grass and well looked after .
Cows would sort the above problems but obviously create there own but if I did go bk it would be OAD I would be looking at for a number of reasons ...

I do sell 1st cut silage and I would have to sell 2nd cut if it is Only contract heifers I would have for the winter and it's a thing I don't really like doing like lads can bog the place with fertiliser and I can't say much about it .
And I don't want to take on a second lad with heifers it can get messy then so then I have to buy calves to make up the slack if I only had the heifers my numbers would be small and it's not that I am putting out much fert it's just all young grass and well looked after .
Cows would sort the above problems but obviously create there own but if I did go bk it would be OAD I would be looking at for a number of reasons ...
It took some balls to be fair to you to get out of cows at the end of 2022 after the most profitable year in dairying of all time. Its not really clear to me why you want to go back milking cows, if its OAD then financially you'll almost probably be as well off at the contract rearing. Talking about cows doing less tramping of ground in wet weather than young stock etc is a bit of a mute point really. Put them in the shed if the land is wet. Finding it hard to manage grass due to more groups of stock is a bit the same, couldn't you just join the two groups of heifers for instance? It's going to take even more balls to get back into cows than it took to get out of them.

Imo listening to your plight…. Your issue is you don’t like having cattle inside in February March and April.

Here is a potential system for you. Buy 100-120 calves each spring. Set up an auto calf feeder and adapt the sheds you have for €20k.

Rear the calves indoors till maybe mid may. Cut and early first cut for your own use the first week of May last. Sell a bit of later First cut. Calves graze after grass for the first month or so (obviously watch for the summer scour etc)
They graze away for the first year and you start housing around 15th October. As ground conditions get worse you drop your group size to stop the tramping. Housing the heaviest calves bit by bit. You may even get away with keeping the lightest 20 calves out fully.

Keep your calves till a year of age and sell in dribs and drabs from 1st march to 1st May. Don’t bother with spring grazing as you’ll be aiming for an early first cut and you’ll have the farm cleaned off after a winter of grazing light cattle.
Obviously if you stay contract rearing you’ll have heifers for a second grazing season for at least this way you could potentially only have 2 bunches of cattle. If you were contract rearing for a farmer you could do a deal too but all his calves to minimise rush and make sourcing easier
Imo the best profit in dairy beef is the first year of you aim to sell to the grass buyer. In the second year you don’t have as much profit but your workload is a fraction of the rearing stage.

take a few hedges out, increase the paddock size, put that 2 bunch heifer group into 1, and get rid of the bullocks, get a second equally large group of contract heifers as the previous 2 to make 1 more group, sell all your silage, or

get rid of all of the cattle and sell all your silage

ever though about arable? maybe some spring barley?

The reason (I am thinking let me stress that point well ) of going bk is first of farming on heavy ground so not ideal
Get much rain and ground gets wet fast,so like cows would only be in the 1 field/plot for a short time as ye know so do less damage and this can't be done with dry cattle,if I join up the 2 bunches of heifers they would plough the place even if I gave them a 10 acre field get a wet night or 2 and it's wrecked .

A few good points there there uptown 125,no I don't mind having cattle insude them months .
That's alot of calves to scourse and alot to get scour

No ground not good enough for tillage
It took some balls to be fair to you to get out of cows at the end of 2022 after the most profitable year in dairying of all time. Its not really clear to me why you want to go back milking cows, if its OAD then financially you'll almost probably be as well off at the contract rearing. Talking about cows doing less tramping of ground in wet weather than young stock etc is a bit of a mute point really. Put them in the shed if the land is wet. Finding it hard to manage grass due to more groups of stock is a bit the same, couldn't you just join the two groups of heifers for instance? It's going to take even more balls to get back into cows than it took to get out of them.

The reason (I am thinking let me stress that point well ) of going bk is first of farming on heavy ground so not ideal
Get much rain and ground gets wet fast,so like cows would only be in the 1 field/plot for a short time as ye know so do less damage and this can't be done with dry cattle,if I join up the 2 bunches of heifers they would plough the place even if I gave them a 10 acre field get a wet night or 2 and it's wrecked .

A few good points there there uptown 125,no I don't mind having cattle insude them months .

then why not rotationally graze your bunches aswell?

You’re going milking cause you think you have to go milking. Not cause you want to go milking. That’s what got you into your middle in the first place. You think you’re special with heavy land. All of the west of Ireland has land heavier than yours I can guarantee and most of them ain’t dairying. You’re getting way over fussed about cattle doing damage. This is gone beyond a joke now!

We’re all sick of it at this stage. You need to go share farming in some way shape or form cause you haven’t the decisiveness to make any decision and you’ll doubt yourself forever more.

Imo listening to your plight…. Your issue is you don’t like having cattle inside in February March and April.

Here is a potential system for you. Buy 100-120 calves each spring. Set up an auto calf feeder and adapt the sheds you have for €20k.

Rear the calves indoors till maybe mid may. Cut and early first cut for your own use the first week of May last. Sell a bit of later First cut. Calves graze after grass for the first month or so (obviously watch for the summer scour etc)
They graze away for the first year and you start housing around 15th October. As ground conditions get worse you drop your group size to stop the tramping. Housing the heaviest calves bit by bit. You may even get away with keeping the lightest 20 calves out fully.

Keep your calves till a year of age and sell in dribs and drabs from 1st march to 1st May. Don’t bother with spring grazing as you’ll be aiming for an early first cut and you’ll have the farm cleaned off after a winter of grazing light cattle.
Obviously if you stay contract rearing you’ll have heifers for a second grazing season for at least this way you could potentially only have 2 bunches of cattle. If you were contract rearing for a farmer you could do a deal too but all his calves to minimise rush and make sourcing easier
Imo the best profit in dairy beef is the first year of you aim to sell to the grass buyer. In the second year you don’t have as much profit but your workload is a fraction of the rearing stage.

Thinking about this post it's no bad idea,just to buy that many calves and rear them would be the big issue ..
Any idea is there a bit of profit out of it ?

Thinking about this post it's no bad idea,just to buy that many calves and rear them would be the big issue ..
Any idea is there a bit of profit out of it ?
It won’t match tax free leasing but it’s probably your best bet.
But your calf for €150
1.5 bags of milk replacer €75
Bedding €50
Meal - 500kg in the year being very generous €200
Silage €120
Grazing fertiliser €70
Costs at €670
Aim for €850 average.
€180/head.
100 head
€18k
…. The equivalent of 15 good cows on OAD haha

It won’t match tax free leasing but it’s probably your best bet.
But your calf for €150
1.5 bags of milk replacer €75
Bedding €50
Meal - 500kg in the year being very generous €200
Silage €120
Grazing fertiliser €70
Costs at €670
Aim for €850 average.
€180/head.
100 head
€18k
…. The equivalent of 15 good cows on OAD haha
there's a fella over on boards currently waffling about 800/head at 30 months 🤣

there's a fella over on boards currently waffling about 800/head at 30 months 🤣
I see him alright but he’s the exception. He’s depending on the first man to lose their shirt rearing calves. Which is probably the right system but not one which is easily achieved imo

Though it is probably fairly important to time the market. A better system for dairy beef tbf is buy calves in august/september. That way you have none of the work of rearing them, if they’re done poorly you can make up for lost time and most of the time you’ll buy them for cheaper than you rear them. €400 would generally buy you nice Angus heifers that time of year. Keep them for 7 months of winter off €120 of silage and €120 off meal and they should be worth €850 in April. Leaving you €200/head

Back