Deutz Tractors

How un reliable were they? Always heard about horror stories on mk 1's but no one ever really could say what went wrong and to go for a mk3. Might have a chance at a 00 120 at small money, were they a decent tractor or should I steer clear?
Looked at it today, its not without its problems

-Clutch pedal is slow to return, it comes up 75% of the way and then slows way down as it returns fully.
-brake fluid leak inside at the brake pedals, presume it needs a new master cylinder.
-Slight grind going into 5th if youre too quick with it but you can comfortably float it into it with no grinding.
-Lift controls are a bit off I think (Not a deutz expert) seems to want to come up fully no matter what way you move the toggle and is lowering with a button underneath the toggle switch.
-PTO wouldn't engage but swapped wires on the solenoids outside and it works perfect off the diff switch, so thinking either broken wire or fuseboard, all other electrics seem to be working.
-Someone broke the ends on the rockshaft and welded them backup, doesnt really bother me too much for the work it will be doing.

Packs seem fine and it has power, will only be doing 200 odd hours a year, drawing cattle, slurry and an odd bit of agitating, no lift work really bar the agitator, still tempted even with its faults given the price, just how afraid should I be? Any ideas on the clutch pedal? Its not too far from me and I might get it this weekend to try out.

Edit, its an early mk2 (plated 00) with preselect shuttle.

Looked at it today, its not without its problems

-Clutch pedal is slow to return, it comes up 75% of the way and then slows way down as it returns fully.
-brake fluid leak inside at the brake pedals, presume it needs a new master cylinder.
-Slight grind going into 5th if youre too quick with it but you can comfortably float it into it with no grinding.
-Lift controls are a bit off I think (Not a deutz expert) seems to want to come up fully no matter what way you move the toggle and is lowering with a button underneath the toggle switch.
-PTO wouldn't engage but swapped wires on the solenoids outside and it works perfect off the diff switch, so thinking either broken wire or fuseboard, all other electrics seem to be working.
-Someone broke the ends on the rockshaft and welded them backup, doesnt really bother me too much for the work it will be doing.

Packs seem fine and it has power, will only be doing 200 odd hours a year, drawing cattle, slurry and an odd bit of agitating, no lift work really bar the agitator, still tempted even with its faults given the price, just how afraid should I be? Any ideas on the clutch pedal? Its not too far from me and I might get it this weekend to try out.

Edit, its an early mk2 (plated 00) with preselect shuttle.
When you say someone broke the ends off the rock shaft, do you mean the rock shaft that lifts the link arms on the back of the tractor? If so, I’d run a mile. A tractor that received that kind of rough care will probably have a very questionable internal condition too…..

When you say someone broke the ends off the rock shaft, do you mean the rock shaft that lifts the link arms on the back of the tractor? If so, I’d run a mile. A tractor that received that kind of rough care will probably have a very questionable internal condition too…..
Yes, id say a trailer got wedged in the hitch, very little wear on the lift itself.

So been doing some testing this evening on the PTO, have power coming from the switch as far as the P3 socket on the fuse board, but nothing coming back out, so I take it my PTO module on the board is finished, is there anyway to bypass this without losing the mudguard buttons? I'm thinking of just wiring it into the beacon button to get me going but rather do the job rightish, without splashing out on a new board. TIA

So been doing some testing this evening on the PTO, have power coming from the switch as far as the P3 socket on the fuse board, but nothing coming back out, so I take it my PTO module on the board is finished, is there anyway to bypass this without losing the mudguard buttons? I'm thinking of just wiring it into the beacon button to get me going but rather do the job rightish, without splashing out on a new board. TIA
@Deutz638

Having a new issue with the 120mk2 having sorted most of its other issues and putting 50hours on it all going well until today, getting a warning “no gearbox oil pressure” warning. Backend oil is upto level mark(it was a bit low but has been topped up). Fuses are fine. Code 10 was coming up on RH screen but isn’t coming up now.

Drove about 20 miles between two trips this morning, loaded some bales onto the trailer and set for home when about a km from outfarm warning pops up, pull in flick off tractor and started again and warning there almost straight away, tried a few times same thing so limped back and left it there for two hours, topped up backend oil and set for home again thinking it was down to low oil, drove 11km without issue, topped the bales in the yard and stopped up on the phone for a few minutes with trailer down warning pops up again. Comes on for a few seconds, time varies from 1-2 seconds to maybe 10 seconds tops. Seems to happen in any gear, even neutral and any splitter. Anyone any ideas, thinking faulty sensor, anyway to check other than pressure test, don’t have tools to do that. Tia.

That warning comes up on mine if you tip a big trailer that empties the backend, never seen it happen otherwise

Nothing being tipped on mine, thinking and hoping it’s either the pressure sensor or the filters, anyway to test to pressure sensor with a multimeter?

Checked with multi meter

Line down to sensor giving 11.47v
Battery with tractor running only giving 13.79
Tractor off 13.2

Could it be electrical 🙄 no warning at all once sensor is disconnected, I would have thought it would beep constantly with no input?

Is that Jade Green or whatever they are calling it now?
Java green I think they call it, I think it looks well, good few black coloured ones about too I think the Java green looks well, nice to drive but the screen/ terminal and gps would lack a bit of tech compared to the fendts or Deeres in my opinion.

Contractor would be jd out and out. On his second deutz now. Put strong hrs on his last one in short space of time and never gave a days bother.

Back