Drilling a new well for a farm

Hard on the heart as in pulling electrical energy towards the rods? There probably is some connection though I never heard that about it. That sort of energy understanding is from a different pay grade.

Neither of the local men use steel rods .
A forked Hazel stick is the rod of choice .
The lads who bored the well.here in 98 used to cranked old type car radio aerials for want of a better description. One in each hand , and when they crossed over one another , that was supposed to be the spring . I got the neighbour to try around that well with the Hazel rod . He said that was no spring of any sort there, but a fair pull about 15 ft away .

Most drilling outfits will divine themselves . Most people would also get a diviner of their own acquaintance to try it .
The general rule seems to be , that if the different diviners come up with different places , if the well owner insists on using the place that their diviner chose , as opposed to the well borers diviner , they will stay drilling , until they find water , or run out of rods , and the well owner will be responsible for the bill , however big that ends up at .

Neither of the local men use steel rods .
A forked Hazel stick is the rod of choice .
The lads who bored the well.here in 98 used to cranked old type car radio aerials for want of a better description. One in each hand , and when they crossed over one another , that was supposed to be the spring . I got the neighbour to try around that well with the Hazel rod . He said that was no spring of any sort there, but a fair pull about 15 ft away .

Most drilling outfits will divine themselves . Most people would also get a diviner of their own acquaintance to try it .
The general rule seems to be , that if the different diviners come up with different places , if the well owner insists on using the place that their diviner chose , as opposed to the well borers diviner , they will stay drilling , until they find water , or run out of rods , and the well owner will be responsible for the bill , however big that ends up at .
I wouldn’t be familiar with any hazel bushes or trees around here. I just tried it using ordinary electric fencing steel wire. Each piece about 2 ft long and bent at 6 inches for a handle. It definitely pulled and crossed over a few spots, no piped water underneath this area but there are piped drains for storm water but it didn’t follow a pipe. One of the kids got a pull in a spot too, the others had no reaction. They thought it was hilarious.

Years ago I met a neighbor out for a walk and he showed me how to divine. He had a few gun dogs with him . He turned his back and got me to take a hair off one of the dogs . I handed him the hair and he held it in his hand along with a forked hazel twig . It dropped straight at the dog I had taken the hair from. Maybe he could see the disgruntled face of the dog that had a hair plucked from him. He also held a bit of a clay drainage pipe in his hand and claimed to be following the underground land drain. The man is still alive and must be near a hundred years old . I called into him a few years ago with letters his father had sent my father in the 1930.s His father was huntsman for the local fox hounds and was a great horseman.

Years ago I met a neighbor out for a walk and he showed me how to divine. He had a few gun dogs with him . He turned his back and got me to take a hair off one of the dogs . I handed him the hair and he held it in his hand along with a forked hazel twig . It dropped straight at the dog I had taken the hair from. Maybe he could see the disgruntled face of the dog that had a hair plucked from him. He also held a bit of a clay drainage pipe in his hand and claimed to be following the underground land drain. The man is still alive and must be near a hundred years old . I called into him a few years ago with letters his father had sent my father in the 1930.s His father was huntsman for the local fox hounds and was a great horseman.
Sounds like old man Thackaberry, he’d hold a raw ingredient in one hand and swing a pendulum to detect for allergies in a person.

Sounds like old man Thackaberry, he’d hold a raw ingredient in one hand and swing a pendulum to detect for allergies in a person.
Used to have farmers going all over Wexford looking for their stolen car trailers. He used to Devine allergies as well. He was right about Wexford.

Used to have farmers going all over Wexford looking for their stolen car trailers. He used to Devine allergies as well. He was right about Wexford.
I last saw him in the mid 1980s and he was an old man then. I won’t ask what he had to say about Wexford...

I am thinking about getting a well sunk in a field away from the farm. Atm I am using pasture pumps and battery fences as I dont have mains power. Theres an esb line running through the field. Does anyone know how much a connection would cost?

I am thinking about getting a well sunk in a field away from the farm. Atm I am using pasture pumps and battery fences as I dont have mains power. Theres an esb line running through the field. Does anyone know how much a connection would cost?
Here it would be extortionate

Ask the ESB for a quote, worst that can happen is that you will waste 20 mins on a phone call / meeting with the lad that quotes you if its too expensive

The minimum seems to be around €2k . Although how they come up with this figure seems to be a dark art.
Number of poles required/distance
Is there capacity in the existing line.
Transformer available or required .
Attitude of the the assessor.

A well here was bored 20 years ago now, 90 foot of steel liner in her, 400 foot deep she finished out at, or so the lads who owned the rig did. Dry as snuff, not a sniff off water. No liability on our part for payment, this was how it was with this driller anyway.

Down the field to beside the old well that was pounded 30 years before, only 40 foot of liner was needed here & water was got at 160 foot.

I put in a power point to drive an electric fence, iirc €300 3 yrs ago, had to be mounted on a wall so I buried a wall section for a silage pit, 2 waterproof boxes, one for ESB and the other for fuse and socket, had to be at least 30 metres from a pole if the pole held a transformer, it was €8 a month last year, €14 a month now, cost me around €800 in the end by the time I had the wall section, 30 metres of ducting, boxes and electrician and ESB paid,

Have you a stream at present running trough the field .I am asking because a solar pump might be a better idea .check out post 9289 on dairy chit chat over on farm and forestery on board,ie .it will give you an idea what I am on about

Have you a stream at present running trough the field .I am asking because a solar pump might be a better idea .check out post 9289 on dairy chit chat over on farm and forestery on board,ie .it will give you an idea what I am on about

There is a river running through the land. Atm I am using pasture pumps out of it for water. I am using battery fences for power and its extra work keeping them charged and moved plus their not really up for the area I am trying to cover.
If I could get a mains connection it would be solving the water and the electric fence too.

could go 12v submersible and solar panels.

There is a river running through the land. Atm I am using pasture pumps out of it for water. I am using battery fences for power and its extra work keeping them charged and moved plus their not really up for the area I am trying to cover.
If I could get a mains connection it would be solving the water and the electric fence too.
im currently putting in a solar system and its to do exactly as you want to do above. 20ltr a min pump,(may double this up to 40ltr a min pump), 60psi, 6joule PEL uniziger fence and solar panel and battery. hopefully all done for 2k. its pumping 300m each way in 40mm pipe, over a 15m rise on the run. hope it will supply 80 to 100 cattle

im currently putting in a solar system and its to do exactly as you want to do above. 20ltr a min pump,(may double this up to 40ltr a min pump), 60psi, 6joule PEL uniziger fence and solar panel and battery. hopefully all done for 2k. its pumping 300m each way in 40mm pipe, over a 15m rise on the run. hope it will supply 80 to 100 cattle
Keep us updated on that. Maybe a few pictures please.
I looked at that kind of setup ,galvanised box with panels on the lid, pump and control inside. The pumps were very small like the ones on a quad spot sprayer. Low output and nothing to protect the setup from frost.

I put in a power point to drive an electric fence, iirc €300 3 yrs ago, had to be mounted on a wall so I buried a wall section for a silage pit, 2 waterproof boxes, one for ESB and the other for fuse and socket, had to be at least 30 metres from a pole if the pole held a transformer, it was €8 a month last year, €14 a month now, cost me around €800 in the end by the time I had the wall section, 30 metres of ducting, boxes and electrician and ESB paid,
Is there a meter on that supply.

Keep us updated on that. Maybe a few pictures please.
I looked at that kind of setup ,galvanised box with panels on the lid, pump and control inside. The pumps were very small like the ones on a quad spot sprayer. Low output and nothing to protect the setup from frost.
Will do. Its been put on the long finger as when I got the notion to go at water, it has turned updating two of my own farms and making it a 10k job. Great to see a group of animals drinking from the trough and the water level staying constant

It would only be low output if you want. You can keep adding on more pumps. (Need more solar and battery) Say put two 6gls pumps working together and now you have 60ltrs a minute at 60psi leaving the pumps. Reducing friction loss on such a system is everything, hence I have laid 40mm pipe and only going 300 metre distances to troughs. Solar is great for water supply as when greatest draw is on to pump water, its usually top solar production

I am currently on mains water at home ,but meter is knackered .When they get around to replacing it .I intend to install rain water harvesting instead of a well with mains backup.Only 40 acres and 40 cows and half inch piping to 40 gal.troiughs at present .What capacity holding tank would one need for rain water harvesting ,I would intend on using solar pump to pipe water to troughs .Might need to upgrade troughs and piping to 3/4 inch.
In my book this system would be a win win for everyone in regards greenhouse emmisions ,pity no bit of a grant to encourage more of it

I am currently on mains water at home ,but meter is knackered .When they get around to replacing it .I intend to install rain water harvesting instead of a well with mains backup.Only 40 acres and 40 cows and half inch piping to 40 gal.troiughs at present .What capacity holding tank would one need for rain water harvesting ,I would intend on using solar pump to pipe water to troughs .Might need to upgrade troughs and piping to 3/4 inch.
In my book this system would be a win win for everyone in regards greenhouse emmisions ,pity no bit of a grant to encourage more of it
I think rain water off roofs is frowned on (at least by Bord Bia) for drinking water because of possible bird contamination/salmonella/etc.

Back