Fertilizer spreaders

Only for tams on tillage equipment there would have been next to nothing sold tillage wise. If you have a guy getting 60% and registered for vat it makes a machine very cheap. Was talking to one sales man and he was saying anyone over 50 is been put out of tams and they are ringing lads who applied to see if they are actually going to buy something and apply for tams. He said what ever money is left will be divided out and that will be that. Even guys approved might not get there full amount. Like what you are saying Nash I can't see any new tams out for along time. This virus is going to cost a fortune and EU are pulling back on grant aids
A lot of inaccuracies in what you were told there. Certainly no discrimination against over 50’s. Anyone under 40 get an additional 20 ranking points, after that age isn’t looked at any further.
Some lads with open approvals are being contacted to see if they are still hoping to go ahead as DAFM have money put aside to pay them and if they know the grant isn’t going to be claimed it can be removed and the money go back into pot allowing others to be approved.
Money is divided out at approval time, that’s why there are tranches and a ranking system. Anyone approved will get their money if project go ahead and everything is above board.
I could see them getting tighter on specs and inspections, particularly on building projects though.
TAMSII finishes at the end of the year for new applications. Hard to see it being extended in the current climate.
Last point, TAMS was never intended to put money into farmers pockets, it was designed to get ‘technology’s &facilities’ onto farms

As a farmers son who got the road and not the land, I am a bit out of touch, but in a strange way something came up that has me wondering of the demise of trailed fertiliser spreaders? The (yellow) Vicon looked like it was poised to lead the market, well in dairy areas anyway, maybe around the '80s - am I right in assuming the trailed didn't cut it and I wonder why? For ground pressure alone they looked ideal for our Irish soil conditions.

As a farmers son who got the road and not the land, I am a bit out of touch, but in a strange way something came up that has me wondering of the demise of trailed fertiliser spreaders? The (yellow) Vicon looked like it was poised to lead the market, well in dairy areas anyway, maybe around the '80s - am I right in assuming the trailed didn't cut it and I wonder why? For ground pressure alone they looked ideal for our Irish soil conditions.
I ran a three tonne Vicon from I978 until 1999 and have not used a mounted in all that time. How many top links would I have worn out in 42 years. Apparently you are not allowed into Co Meath with a bogey spreader.

I ran a three tonne Vicon from I978 until 1999 and have not used a mounted in all that time. How many top links would I have worn out in 42 years. Apparently you are not allowed into Co Meath with a bogey spreader.
So what's the story then? Now I am out of farming but wouldn't the trailed option travel lighter, could be tugged with a 135, sure only a few ton, the LGP tyres do the lifting? What k,ind of farming were you at? You retired? I am doing a project that goes back to Harry Ferguson investing the 3 point linkage - simple as it appears, but hasn't ever beet bettered, well tweaked but the basics still the same, amazing in many respects. Also a story behind why it was required, to do with machines designed for prairies, by the BIG Americans, maybe Donaldo needs reinventing?

A lot of inaccuracies in what you were told there. Certainly no discrimination against over 50’s. Anyone under 40 get an additional 20 ranking points, after that age isn’t looked at any further.
Some lads with open approvals are being contacted to see if they are still hoping to go ahead as DAFM have money put aside to pay them and if they know the grant isn’t going to be claimed it can be removed and the money go back into pot allowing others to be approved.
Money is divided out at approval time, that’s why there are tranches and a ranking system. Anyone approved will get their money if project go ahead and everything is above board.
I could see them getting tighter on specs and inspections, particularly on building projects though.
TAMSII finishes at the end of the year for new applications. Hard to see it being extended in the current climate.
Last point, TAMS was never intended to put money into farmers pockets, it was designed to get ‘technology’s &facilities’ onto farms
That's what a sales man said to me. Guys in their 50s aren't even getting looked at. Is there a carry over of applications from tams 1 into tams 2?

So what's the story then? Now I am out of farming but wouldn't the trailed option travel lighter, could be tugged with a 135, sure only a few ton, the LGP tyres do the lifting? What k,ind of farming were you at? You retired? I am doing a project that goes back to Harry Ferguson investing the 3 point linkage - simple as it appears, but hasn't ever beet bettered, well tweaked but the basics still the same, amazing in many respects. Also a story behind why it was required, to do with machines designed for prairies, by the BIG Americans, maybe Donaldo needs reinventing?
Mostly Tillage now but was doing 50/50 livestock and tillage when we started . As regards retiring I do not see myself making bird boxes in the mens shed but have a vison of being moored stern to the quay in Monte Carlo surrounded by empty whiskey bottles talking of five tonne wheat crops to anyone that would listen .
The three point linkage was a thing for its day and should have been parked when tractors started getting bigger . The problem with it was it worked too well . . I ended up using semi mounted ploughs where the top link was only needed when you were turning . Take the simplicity of a Euro hitch and modern electronics like gone has on his plough and you would get more output from a more robust system that is fully integrated into the tractor .

@Brenboy
Apart from maneuverability.
In countries like America they had space to fit twin wheels to get the traction to go pulling a drawbar machine with ease.

Over here the draught control was needed to be able to keep pulling a machine on narrow wheels.
Twins were just a pain to be putting on and off to go on the road.

That's what a sales man said to me. Guys in their 50s aren't even getting looked at. Is there a carry over of applications from tams 1 into tams 2?
We’ll it’s not because of their age!
The only link between TAMS I and TAMS II is in the ranking points for TAMS II. You get points for not having claimed anything in TAMS I

The only link between TAMS I and TAMS II is in the ranking points for TAMS II. You get points for not having claimed anything in TAMS I
i applied for a grant on a dribble bar for my existing tanker and i didn,t get it as i was 1 point short despite getting top marks in every section bar the age group one , what more could i have done bar applying for less money than what dribble bars are costing ? which is what i,ve done when i reapplied but the advisor said that may be not enough due to the carryover from the last tranche and the volume of new applications

If you had reduced your proposed costings by 1% it would have given you another 5 points and got you over the line. Unfortunately there’s a good chance that there will be a flood of applications for the rest of the year just to get approval incase they ever decided to go ahead with purchase later Which will push ranking points cutoff higher

Would point ranking on age not be discriminating on aswell in a indirect way?

Would point ranking on age not be discriminating on aswell in a indirect way?
To be fair it is to a point as under 40’s do get an extra 20 points. The 60% grant lads are kept separate though.
My main point is there is no discrimination on age apart from the 20 points for being under 40. From what I’ve seen the main way lads are boosting points is reducing proposed costings.
For the LESS example, derogation farmers are given preference as get 25 marks for being in derogation, and also get more marks based on their higher stocking rate.
Ranking sheets are available on DAFM website if anyone wants to assess where they stand in the ranking system

You can apply for something you're not going to buy at the same time and reduce its cost by a good bit. That will give you extra marks.

You can apply for something you're not going to buy at the same time and reduce its cost by a good bit. That will give you extra marks.
But I’d it not still the case that if you apply for 2 things under the one application they will only pay out once both have been completed/ purchased? We were warned about that when getting the Harrow that if we were getting anything else at the same time to apply in a separate application incase

But I’d it not still the case that if you apply for 2 things under the one application they will only pay out once both have been completed/ purchased? We were warned about that when getting the Harrow that if we were getting anything else at the same time to apply in a separate application incase
Definitley not. I applied for fencing and a mobile sheep handling race a while back. Both would have been in on the one application. Got approval but wasn't in a position to be buy the race then. Got paid out on the fencing no problem. I've applied for the race again so hopefully the application is successfull by this time.

Mostly Tillage now but was doing 50/50 livestock and tillage when we started . As regards retiring I do not see myself making bird boxes in the mens shed but have a vison of being moored stern to the quay in Monte Carlo surrounded by empty whiskey bottles talking of five tonne wheat crops to anyone that would listen .
The three point linkage was a thing for its day and should have been parked when tractors started getting bigger . The problem with it was it worked too well . . I ended up using semi mounted ploughs where the top link was only needed when you were turning . Take the simplicity of a Euro hitch and modern electronics like gone has on his plough and you would get more output from a more robust system that is fully integrated into the tractor .
Have trailed artificial spreaders disappeared, and if so I am wondering why? Is it that big tyres can take 2 tonnes while maintaining low ground pressure? Would have to have v wide tyres on trailed spreader to match that?

Have trailed artificial spreaders disappeared, and if so I am wondering why? Is it that big tyres can take 2 tonnes while maintaining low ground pressure? Would have to have v wide tyres on trailed spreader to match that?
They haven't disappeared, got much larger instead, Amazone, Rauch and the likes all make trailed spreaders, even Irish manufacturers do.. https://www.agrispread.com/

Looking at a budget fertilizer spreader, local lad quoting me 2.5 for a rocha and I see an altro one on done deal in Cork.(long way from home but anyway) Anyone any experience of either brand?

In the market for a new spreader at the min, looking at a bogballe M35W plus Isobus 2.5T / amazone ZAV super profis hydro L2700.
bogballe coming in €5.5K + vat more than the amazone... both same spec like for like. Wondering am I missing something or are they just worth that bit more...

Back