Grass Growth Rates

Currently getting highest growth rates of the year at circa 80. Growth rates have really flattened on my ground over the last few years. Now getting much greater shoulder grow for some reason

It's some contrasting country. In Galway it is exceptionally wet and growth was poor for the last 4 weeks up to last Monday. It dried out a bit and growth did kick on noticeably over the last 7 days, but any hope of a late housing of animals has been blown out of the water. We will have everything on slats by mid october.

Not as much rain in Leitrim, but not able to handle half as much as galway. Last week dried out ground well too. It is the norm for us to start housing cattle from 10th october onwards. That certainly won't change. But some groups of cattle will have a run out until november 1st.

Some of you guys talking about close drought conditions wouldn't be 50 miles from us in galway. The variance in such a small distance is incredible.

I spread lime in a place in the middle of January at 2t/ac, picture taken today of where I ran out.
20190924_124647.jpg

Anyone spreading urea? Went out Monday with about 45 units.
Was planning to go with about 30 here next week as we have quite heavy covers grown over wintet but it's looking like a lot of rain will fall next week so will hold off until the week after at least. Lots of fodder means less pressure on me than any other year in the last 4

Was planning to go with about 30 here next week as we have quite heavy covers grown over wintet but it's looking like a lot of rain will fall next week so will hold off until the week after at least. Lots of fodder means less pressure on me than any other year in the last 4
I meant to put out 30 but 45 came out!

Was just about to ask why you went so heavy!
Spreader with the split hopper really designed for 24m going at 15. Was at the narrowest opening I'd trust to flow evenly and going 13.5k. Next gear up is 17.5k and just too fast and bouncy to stay in the right line and have the ins and outs right. Hilly ground too. It's only a issue with urea as it flows so fast.

Just looked it up and I could have gone to 18m with the discs I have. That would have helped. Would have gotten 33 units with the same setting.

Plenty of organic N still about, cant see much point going, grass growing all winter again this year with such mild weather. I have 10 little weanlings on a 10ac field all winter and the grass is growing a good bit faster than their demand all winter

Slurry out on some of it, no bagged stuff out yet, I’ll leave This weekends weather pass and see what way things are next week.
Great response from slurry spread about the 15th jan, spread a few loads that day as we were full and clear line down the field where we stopped

Plenty of organic N still about, cant see much point going, grass growing all winter again this year with such mild weather. I have 10 little weanlings on a 10ac field all winter and the grass is growing a good bit faster than their demand all winter
Have the calved cows out night and day when the weather is good, hoping there will something grow back for the next time !

Have the calved cows out night and day when the weather is good, hoping there will something grow back for the next time !
That would be my thinking on it too. It's more for getting regrowths on grazed ground than getting growth on ungrazed.

Nothing out here yet which is unusual for us, have slurry out on half the farm. Will go with 30 units some day soon once this weather passes

That would be my thinking on it too. It's more for getting regrowths on grazed ground than getting growth on ungrazed.

Nothing out here yet which is unusual for us, have slurry out on half the farm. Will go with 30 units some day soon once this weather passes
Was talking to a man in Kilkenny put out 30 units mid-Jan, said the one year he didn't get to do it the protein was low in the milk.

Slurry spreading in Leitrim only opened this week. I see and smell one neighbour lashing it out thick with a pipe system because his tanks were full from having taken a lot of pig slurry last year. Ground is still very wet - we have been out with the double wheels on the 168 this week and it's just a big splosh. He will give new meaning to exporting slurry - when the heavy rain comes this weekend, 90% of what he is spreading will end up in the Shannon. No wonder the land is so good down your way @Ozzy Scott . All the good of ours has been washed down there :tt2:

Slurry spreading in Leitrim only opened this week. I see and smell one neighbour lashing it out thick with a pipe system because his tanks were full from having taken a lot of pig slurry last year. Ground is still very wet - we have been out with the double wheels on the 168 this week and it's just a big splosh. He will give new meaning to exporting slurry - when the heavy rain comes this weekend, 90% of what he is spreading will end up in the Shannon. No wonder the land is so good down your way @Ozzy Scott . All the good of ours has been washed down there :tt2:
On top of everything else it's an awful waste to be spreading in the wet.

Back