Hired labour

What do lads pay young fallas for Helping out at milking and stuff for the summer ?

Well depends if he's "helping" out or your working me like a dog ??? How young is young ?? I'm m wanting ££12.50 @hr and you get this Arse on a tractor seat or these hands on a shovel or pick or broom I'm not fussy, that's the rate for me,

I pay €15 / hour for experienced labour. He's in his 40s. 10 euro per hour to 16 year old. Minimum wage for a 16 year old is just over 7 euro per hour

What about instead of taking on someone full time. Just get in help when you need it from service providers, contractors. Unless you have a big number of stock its hard to have work all the time for someone.

If you get in someone to skull the calves, a professional fencer once a year and use contractor for slurry and fertiliser as well as silage you might be better off . That and an occasional relief milking from farm relief and youd be sorted.

What about instead of taking on someone full time. Just get in help when you need it from service providers, contractors. Unless you have a big number of stock its hard to have work all the time for someone.

If you get in someone to skull the calves, a professional fencer once a year and use contractor for slurry and fertiliser as well as silage you might be better off . That and an occasional relief milking from farm relief and youd be sorted.
we've started getting a fencer in.
Rocks up with his own gear and rocks on. One of us sits in his tractor for knocking posts (he has one of those fancy ones that shifts about) He can have half the fence up before we would find all the fencing gear!!
Better job in the long run.

I am getting someone in to powerwash my sheds this year. I actually like powerwashing but there's other things I could be at. He's coming tomorrow to price it

Corona was good to me, got 3 local lads parttime here, and had another 2 looking for work also! I usually pay them around 10e/yr, bit more if they are good, and 40e per milking. Moving forward the aim is another 20cows next year, and keep on the part time labour, if them 20cows did nothing other than pay for the labour I'd be well happy as it will free me up for other stuff off farm.

You must have alot of work Tim with 3 part time lads ?
What is the story then with insurance for these lads do they have to be mentioned on the farm policy or what ?..

2 of them milk 3 or 4 times a week each, and the other lad does maybe 10/15hrs tractor work a week. All 3 are happy enough with the part time nature of the work, I could easily of got away with just one of them but while their were available I took them on, I'm kept well busy with 3 or 4 off farm things at the min, between building work, engineering and work with the local sports club, trust me that list the lengthen of your arm of stuff to do, that never goes away, all you can do is manoeuvre yourself into an area that best suits your skillset and interests, and for me being stuck milking 14times a week certainly wasn't it for me, far too socially isolating and I don't like cows that much, so going up in the numbers while dairying is reasonably profitable and we got the access to land and labour here definitely makes sense for me

I hear you Tim I am milking 14 times a week as is most other farmers but i get sick of it too, it would be grand to get even 1 or 2 milking off in the week ..

I hear you Tim I am milking 14 times a week as is most other farmers but i get sick of it too, it would be grand to get even 1 or 2 milking off in the week ..
Lad that's heavy going lad. Hard to stick it. Def need to look into getting someone try farm relief even for a Sunday evening and during the week or something

Lad that's heavy going lad. Hard to stick it. Def need to look into getting someone try farm relief even for a Sunday evening and during the week or something
Just yesterday I Was reading a study Teagasc did where they compare milking 13 times a week in comparison to 14 times a week. It's the norm on many farms in NZ where labor is an issue.Milking is often carried out a little later on a Saturday evening, around midday on Sunday and back to normal on Monday. May be of interest to some here doing every milking.

Teagasc research shows that there is no difference in milk yield, solids or body condition score for cows milked 13 times a week from mid July (Table 1). In the trial, one evening milking per week was omitted. Somatic cell count (SCC) was measured and there was only a slight increase on the day after switching to 13 times milking per week (although all cows on the trial had ≤200,000 cells/ml SCC in the previous lactation and prior to the trial period).

Well depends if he's "helping" out or your working me like a dog ??? How young is young ?? I'm m wanting ££12.50 @hr and you get this Arse on a tractor seat or these hands on a shovel or pick or broom I'm not fussy, that's the rate for me,
Show me your hands first

Every farm policy includes public and employer's liability provisions.
I think you might still have to have cover for labour not sure if it is covered under employers liability. We have had to have cover for labour separate to liability

Back