Improving ventilation in lean to

redpower

Have a 3 bay round roof shed which has a lean to attached - open inside with cattle in both parts. Both sheds have ventilation in the sides (cladding) and the round roof has raised tin on roof for further ventilation.

I need some more ventilation on the lean to roof. What is the best way to do this. I don't think the roof angle is steep enough to only lift the lower end of the tin - both ends would need to be lifted - but then how do you ensure all the water coming off the round roof is rerouted around the raised sheet?
Or is there another way to get improved ventilation? Roof sticks are soaking and dripping onto ground.

I would look at rising a sheet on the lean too. Say 1 inch at the high timber to 4 inches for the bottom few to still leave a nice fall. You will need a spare sheet to split to cover the chance of rain blowing in. So in reality you raise one sheet and actually are fitting an extra half to make a hat. The hot air will still go out and draw in fresh air at the side. A lot of sheds have plenty of side ventilation but not enough to allow air out at the top. Same here at home too but I did to one shed as I describe here and no pneumonia in it since unless a very rare case.

The tin sheets are full length of the roof. Would it be a bad idea to have the tin raised at the guttering? Presume that the timber raiser would need protection from the rain continually soaking it.

My initial plan was only to raise a part in middle, but would full sheet be better?

Could you space the sheets, ie 1.5-2 inches between the edge of each sheet? Have similar here, round roof shed with a lean to on both sides, and on one side another lean to sloping away from the first and then a later lean to that’s sloping opposite again so little chance of ventilation coming from the side, cows are housed for long enough and don’t ever seem to have any problems and the cubicles are always dry

The tin sheets are full length of the roof. Would it be a bad idea to have the tin raised at the guttering? Presume that the timber raiser would need protection from the rain continually soaking it.

My initial plan was only to raise a part in middle, but would full sheet be better?
I went one sheet but our roof was 2 sheets long as that was the handiest got at the time. Our shed roof was spaced the wider if a nail. All that does is let rain in. I’m growing to be a firm believer of either roof a shed or don’t as all our cattle houses are spaced and the floors are soaking when it rains. That is why I said to add on a half sheet to cover any gaps and also the timber that is used to raise the tin. The middle raised would be better than nothing. Virtical is the quickest way for it to get out

If I was only raising the middle it would mean cutting the tin which I don't want to do.

I'll have to see how I can raise the full sheet as it is pushed in underneath the curved sheet where the sheds meet.

Is there any other way to do this?

If I was only raising the middle it would mean cutting the tin which I don't want to do.

I'll have to see how I can raise the full sheet as it is pushed in underneath the curved sheet where the sheds meet.

Is there any other way to do this?
Would an extractor fan be an option? I know of a few calf sheds that are completely sealed and an extractor fan is used to regulate air quality.

Could you get a nibblers and cut out correction on the highest rib? Maybr 1in wide. Done it on a round roof shed for calfs here and no issue with rain.

What size cattle and how wide is the lean to?
Would replacing the side sheeting with net allow more air to flow through the shed?

What size cattle and how wide is the lean to?
Would replacing the side sheeting with net allow more air to flow through the shed?
All over 12 months up to 24 months. Gable is already done with cladding. Round roof has raised tin at peak and side and rear gable vented.
Side of lean to is another lean to facing into it, but tinned off.

20' wide.

Could you get a nibblers and cut out correction on the highest rib? Maybr 1in wide. Done it on a round roof shed for calfs here and no issue with rain.
I think with that approach, I'd opt to cut the bottom off the round tin to allow me to raise the flat tin.
There are 15 cattle on a 2 bay tank under the round roof and I've got another 10 to move in soon into a tank in the lean to. At the bottom near the guttering, I'd put some adhesive flashing onto the timber riser to protect it from the runoff.

It's a very sheltered area and the neighbours trees act as a wind break.

Was wondering if there was a decent alternative to my plan.

I've tried vented tin before and I don't think much of it - doesn't allow sufficient airflow.

Replace the vented sheeting on the side with Yorkshire Boarding perhaps

Calf shed here swapped from vented sheeting to Yorkshire boarding before last winter on sides and lower end of long lean too off 3bay round roof shed side sheeting.
3 bay a frame joining lower end of lean too as well. Done the end of that shed as well with Yorkshire boarding.

So basically sides and one end of sheds calves reared in have Yorkshire boards now.

Also raised lower end every couple of sheets in middle of lean too roof.

Noticable difference in freshness of air in shed. Pain in the ass doing it tho and timbers not cheap.

Can you make a "window" in the side of the shed sheeting?

Cut the top and bottom of a the shape of a square and line down the middle so that it looks like double doors. Fold the flaps outwards. Get a piece of flat galvanize sheeting and hook it up under the inside of the hole and over the side flaps and stick in a few bolts or pop rivets. It'll keep the rain out too.

Having been in a houses with ventilated sheeting I wouldn't have much confidence in it. The holes are just too small.

Alternatively just cut a big hole in a sheet in the roof or take a sheet off altogether. There'll be feck all rain actually fall in there.

I'd just pull one of those ventilated sheets off the back of it completely

That shed looks fierce closed in. At a calf walk the advice was to have a good thickness of straw, no drafts below 5ft and then a howling gale blowing through the shed above that.

That way they can lie down out if the cold but every bit of disease gets whipped out of the shed immediately.

The pens have over 5'6 of solid sides and then cladding above.
I'm thinking of lifting 5 or 6 lengths of thin on the roof and spacing out the cladding at the back.
Also will increase airflow in the main shed as it only has 3 raised sheets on the roof along with the cladding. Will try to double the roof vents.
Is there a minimum height for the roof vents?

Seen this in the IFJ and it seemed excessive. Screenshot_2024-01-06-15-17-21-270_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-edit.jpg

I'd just pull one of those ventilated sheets off the back of it completely

That shed looks fierce closed in. At a calf walk the advice was to have a good thickness of straw, no drafts below 5ft and then a howling gale blowing through the shed above that.

That way they can lie down out if the cold but every bit of disease gets whipped out of the shed immediately.
The ventilated sheets are backing onto another shed, so removing them unfortunately would not help the problem.

Back