Marking sheep at a distance.

Stacker

Me and the bro in the sheep shed the other day , wanted to mark on of the ewes to keep an eye on her. New bunch of ewes bought and totally mad, literally would climb the walls, seeing as they are bout to drop lambs did'nt want to get in with them. I thought if there some kind of pole you can put an aerasol marker on the end and a trigger on the other. The bro came up with the idea of a paint ball gun so could be used from the quad, maybe a blow gun with a paint ball. SO anybody any experience ???

Nosey neighbours might call the guards if your shooting sheep from a quad:laugh:

Paint ball gun should work i'd imagine, no experience tho

how much of a mark do you need to put on them?
would the splat from a paint ball be enuf?

Surely it would drive them mad altogether :001_unsure:

Get them on to a yellow bucket... :whistling:

how much of a mark do you need to put on them?
would the splat from a paint ball be enuf?

You ever been shot with a paint gun? Anyone that has will be able to tell you of the bruises that you get and how much the little feckers sting, woundn't fancy shooting sheep with them.

Raddle on a stick is the mose sensible suggestion yet

It'd bounce off the fleece without bursting wouldn't it, be fun trying though. Reckon you may get a visit if seen doing it.

It'd bounce off the fleece without bursting wouldn't it, be fun trying though. Reckon you may get a visit if seen doing it.

Might do when i think about, would rather try it with live rounds, you would have a greater level of satisfaction when you were finished.

I would imagine you would get a visit if anyone noticed you shooting sheep with a paintball gun.

Might do when i think about, would rather try it with live rounds, you would have a greater level of satisfaction when you were finished.

I would imagine you would get a visit if anyone noticed you shooting sheep with a paintball gun.
i like you a lot:thumbup1::whistling:

Maybe a tad insensitive, bearing in mind that some people still have very vivid memories of the horrors of Foot and Mouth.

I think I may have walked into a paralell universe here not a farm forum, marxism and shooting sheep with paintball guns, oh dear.

I think I may have walked into a paralell universe here not a farm forum, marxism and shooting sheep with paintball guns, oh dear.

Thats the whole point of this forum, join in and contribute, influence the debate. It does sound weird paintballing sheep but you wait, in the future everyone will be doing it:thumbup1:

I hope this is tongue in cheek re the paintball idea? they need a more solid surface to burst onto, a fleece just would not provide a firm enough surface, and the paint is veg oil based, so the lanolin in the fleece would repel the paint too. Daft idea without a lot of thought imo.
Either as has already been suggested, raddle paint on a stick, or get them feeding at a long trough/walk through, and then a mark on the head from a normal marker can.

I hope this is tongue in cheek re the paintball idea? they need a more solid surface to burst onto, a fleece just would not provide a firm enough surface, and the paint is veg oil based, so the lanolin in the fleece would repel the paint too. Daft idea without a lot of thought imo.
Either as has already been suggested, raddle paint on a stick, or get them feeding at a long trough/walk through, and then a mark on the head from a normal marker can.

Jokes aside, there could be a business opportunity for someone here. A purpose made 'gun' for marking livestock.

I hope this is tongue in cheek re the paintball idea? [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]hey need a more solid surface to burst onto, a fleece just would not provide a firm enough surface, and the paint is veg oil based, so the lanolin in the fleece would repel the paint too. Daft idea without a lot of thought imo.
Yes tounge firmly in cheek. Never been paint calling so would'nt know, ain't goin to feed every time want to mark a ewe to keep an eye on.

You ever been shot with a paint gun? Anyone that has will be able to tell you of the bruises that you get and how much the little feckers sting, woundn't fancy shooting sheep with them.

Raddle on a stick is the mose sensible suggestion yet
i know too well how much it stings, but hey, i didnt have a fleece on me at the time.:001_rolleyes:

good ideas come from simple things ive found, a conversation may start out with the wrong idea but in time it may swing round to the right one.
listen to everyone imo.

if you think about it, not that hard to make a paint ball, so a larger one with the right paint might work, and a home made less vicious applicator gun that would be portable isnt beyond the bounds of possibility.

i like the live rounds suggestion a bit of over kill but hey if there mad as cheese any way..
funny aint it how ill-lame sheep can still move like greased weasel pooh.. said to guv one day (as a callow youth) Cor look you got a cupla lame ones there"
right he says you catch em ill do there feet... i gave it 2 mins of spirited running and decided any thing that can move that fast with a limp cant be doing to bad.....:whistling:

Yeah use live rounds. Saves waiting for the wooly rats to die of whatever they think of next !

Back