Mobile sheep yard

Another bit of a update to this!... cancelled the order for the prattley. Was meant to be here this month but that got pushed out to July time and no guarantee of it being delivered for certain then because of the way trade is gone.
So rang Stanley's as I think they are the best of the steel yards and went for the sheepeze. Should have it in two/three weeks time. As was said above, very sound people to deal with!
Did you try this guy or did you ever hear of him before, he is in Derry

I wouldn't get to excited about that weigher either.
Lambs have a bad tendancy to lean on the back gate, so the weights would be off.
And a swinging door in a race weighong system is a pain in the backside.
The next lamb will wither need moving back to open it, or force its way in before you can close it.
Sliding or concertina gates are better in that situation.

Weigher on my combi clamp is a dream for weighing and sorting,one of best pieces of kit I’ve ever got,it’s just a pallet weigher under the clamp.

Made the trip down to Stanley's today and picked up the sheep race , very happy with it and sound people to deal with. Looking forward to using it. Should make life a bit easier. Will get a few photos at some stage of I think of them!

Few pics of the race for anyone interested. They have one side of the race done in mesh. Seems to help sheep to run into it. Got some of the hurdles with the sleigh ends of them for sliding easily in a field. Best made steel hurdles that I've seen as well and have a good few brands about here.

Attachments

• IMG_20210630_110120.jpg
    IMG_20210630_110120.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20210630_110112.jpg
    IMG_20210630_110112.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 61
Looks good!

Interesting that they run in well with the mesh side. Most would tell you that solid sides is best on a race!

How does it drop to the ground? Guessing that hand winch in the background has something to do with it?

Made the trip down to Stanley's today and picked up the sheep race , very happy with it and sound people to deal with. Looking forward to using it. Should make life a bit easier. Will get a few photos at some stage of I think of them!

A pity that i didnt know that you were coming , and we could have met up . I am only 3 fields across to George as the crow flies , or about a mile around by road . They seem busy at the sheep equipment . Likeable men .

A pity that i didnt know that you were coming , and we could have met up . I am only 3 fields across to George as the crow flies , or about a mile around by road . They seem busy at the sheep equipment . Likeable men .
Not to worry. Ye have some shortage or rain down there? , told George I'd be down some wet day, was pouring leaving sligo. Couldn't believe how good a day it was down with him. Very sound people to deal with and he was saying that they can't keep the stuff made. Seemed to be a good few people working there as well.

Not to worry. Ye have some shortage or rain down there? , told George I'd be down some wet day, was pouring leaving sligo. Couldn't believe how good a day it was down with him. Very sound people to deal with and he was saying that they can't keep the stuff made. Seemed to be a good few people working there as well.

could be 5 lads? along with themselves . We could do with a wet week . Ground is like bell metal . And there would be a bog within 1/2 a mile , at the back of their yard . We wouldnt have ground that often mentions the word drought .

Looks good!

Interesting that they run in well with the mesh side. Most would tell you that solid sides is best on a race!

How does it drop to the ground? Guessing that hand winch in the background has something to do with it?
Id have thought the same about the sides. Nowaybe the mesh had nothing to do with them running through well but I put it down to that.
Ya the the winch drops a bar to the ground and it jack's the wheels off the ground, pull a pin each side and the wheels come off, winch back the other way and the race down to ground level. 3 mins would have it done.

Reactions: AYF
could be 5 lads? along with themselves . We could do with a wet week . Ground is like bell metal . And there would be a bog within 1/2 a mile , at the back of their yard . We wouldnt have ground that often mentions the word drought .
There's was definitely 5 lads about and there could have been more. For such a small country there can be a awful variation in the weather. Is that windfarm a new development down near it? We were very surprised at how close to the main road it was.

There's was definitely 5 lads about and there could have been more. For such a small country there can be a awful variation in the weather. Is that windfarm a new development down near it? We were very surprised at how close to the main road it was.

The windfarm is spread over a big enough area. I'd be no good at dates , but could be 8 or 9 years there , at least .
2 solar farms going in sometime soon .
2 of them , beside/ under the turbines , and the other quite near . Other side of road .

Id have thought the same about the sides. Nowaybe the mesh had nothing to do with them running through well but I put it down to that.
Ya the the winch drops a bar to the ground and it jack's the wheels off the ground, pull a pin each side and the wheels come off, winch back the other way and the race down to ground level. 3 mins would have it done.
When you are using the footbath the lid goes up against the mesh side, giving it 2 full sides.

@eire23 how are you getting on the with stanley now? I know you mentioned a hurdle or two broke at the weld but apart from that how has it been?

@eire23 how are you getting on the with stanley now? I know you mentioned a hurdle or two broke at the weld but apart from that how has it been?
I'm very happy with it apart from the welds but it's not a major problem just I would have hoped for better and not all the hurdles are like that in fairness although I'd imagine any other steel one on the market would be similar. They are also very easy people to deal with and i would say if I did ring up with a complaint they would sort something for me.
It's quick and easy to set up and having the gates within the race for transport isnt a drawback really at all.
I got half normal hurdles and the other half were the "sleigh" ones, they have a rounded bottom in them so their nice for pulling on grass. Only draw back with them is theirs a gap between the bottom bar and the ground and I've had a ewe get her head under them and lift all and sheep getting out from the pen...which leads to plenty of swearing😂
Its no prattley/rappa but with the difference in price it's not really fair to compare them. I would buy another no problem if I was buying another steel one but if the budget stretches go the aluminium route👍

Screenshot_20220630-171928_Gallery.jpg

I've had a new toy built, although it's been in use a few months now.
We had been experimenting with weighing lambs in the race. Just running them all through the wrigher and stopping what we wanted to weigh.
The weigher I had (Modulamb I think) was well suited as it had a proper open top, and crucially, concertina gates. Meaning we can close them ahead of lambs easily. (Sliders would work but no room in the race either side)
Trouble with it was bigger ewes couldn't fit through, creating problems!
So I had a local engineer build a wider version for me!

Works very well. They can be a bit sketchy the first time, but after that they fly through.
I put one lot of ewes and lambs, and a lot of weaned lambs through alone today, without having to drag any lambs in! But they were well versed in going through.

Two of us can put a group of about 300 ewes plus twin lambs through in a bit over an hour without sweating!

We added the straps to stop jumpers! Far easier on the forearms than steel bars as most have. Though I need stronger mounts for them!

Made about 1/2 a mile away as the crow flies .

Horrible creatures . Sheep.
They were very good to deal with.

I see your PTSD is alive and well.

Well ware.

Once they get used to it they will flow through it.

Delightful creatures... Sheep
They went through it very easily. It probably helps I move them pretty regularly. It makes the job so much easier compared with just a few hurdles.

S
They were very good to deal with.

I see your PTSD is alive and well.

They went through it very easily. It probably helps I move them pretty regularly. It makes the job so much easier compared with just a few hurdles.
Angled sides to the race?
I see a box above the front of the race, what's the story there?
And do you draft lambs to the side for weighing?

Sorry, 20 questions!😅

Looks good

Angled sides to the race?
I see a box above the front of the race, what's the story there?
And do you draft lambs to the side for weighing?

Sorry, 20 questions!😅

Looks good
Yes, they can be straight or angled, the angled setup seems to help them stop turning in the race.

The box at the front is a weighing crate.

You can draft to either side at the end of the race using a telescopic handle from the back of the race.

Back