New logsplitter whats good?

bk1991

So i sold my home made one and looking to get new one. I like the look the carroll or the kentec one what is yer opinions or what have you got?

Have a Malone here since the big storm in 2012 I think it was, does a fine job. I would like a slightly bigger table on it because I'd split a lot of big rings with her and it'd be ideal to split one and leave a large piece to the side while you work through the other and would definitely save the back. I do get beat for power the odd time but I know that's down to the pump on the tractor and not the splitter but it's only a case of spinning and watching the grain to get thru it.

Carroll splitter here. 5 ft table, great for building up a supply on to keep your head down splitting for a while at least.

I went for a 3' Carrol a few months ago, they do a 2', 3' or 5' table

1616588702094.jpg

1616588212816.jpg

Last edited:
Have a Malone here since the big storm in 2012 I think it was, does a fine job. I would like a slightly bigger table on it because I'd split a lot of big rings with her and it'd be ideal to split one and leave a large piece to the side while you work through the other and would definitely save the back. I do get beat for power the odd time but I know that's down to the pump on the tractor and not the splitter but it's only a case of spinning and watching the grain to get thru it.
I’ve seen a few malones about me with the tops where ram is mounted broken. Like top of rsh broken off .
Was there anything wrong with your old logsplitter that you wanted to change it? A good homemade one can be as good if not better than some new designs that I've seen.

Ye the rsj was twisting and ram was bending was a bad design I think. I like the look of the carroll with the use of box instead of rsj and they use a polomer bushing so no need for grease .

I’ve seen a few malones about me with the tops where ram is mounted broken. Like top of rsh broken off .

Ye the rsj was twisting and ram was bending was a bad design I think. I like the look of the carroll with the use of box instead of rsj and they use a polomer bushing so no need for grease .
Whatever type you buy make sure the ram isn't welded to the chopping wedge. Lots of them snap off due to their inability to pivot when flexing.

Whatever type you buy make sure the ram isn't welded to the chopping wedge. Lots of them snap off due to their inability to pivot when flexing.
That was also an issue with the home made one we got that i sold

So i sold my home made one and looking to get new one. I like the look the carroll or the kentec one what is yer opinions or what have you got?
IMG-20201116-WA0007.jpegIMG-20201116-WA0006.jpegBought this last year. Very happy with it. Hand engineering. The carroll one looks just as good if not better but this one split some fair blocks for me at its ease. Like the way the wedge is made .

I suppose very possible with any type of rsj design, never any problems here but then again never too much hydraulic pressure either could happen down the line with a tractor with better hydraulic pressure.

Just looked up Done Deal for a log splitter.
There are lots of them.
What is the best one?
Thanks.
A vertical one with a big table. You want a big table to place 5 or 10 blocks on at a time and also when you're splitting a big block, you want to split it in half and push it to one side.
Other than that I'd say they're all the same

Reactions: Paw
There are lots of them.
What is the best one?
Thanks.

What will you be running it on? big rams need big flow or they are painfully slow. We have a 10t which is only just about tolerable if you ask me on the 4600 (single pump model)

@marco is yours as slow as the one in the video? that would wreck my head. I like the way they've put the two hand levers into the log holding arms though

There are lots of them.
What is the best one?
Thanks.

A vertical one with a big table. You want a big table to place 5 or 10 blocks on at a time and also when you're splitting a big block, you want to split it in half and push it to one side.
Other than that I'd say they're all the same
There are loads of them to choose from.

I have a 10 tonne electric splitter. Good except a springy table that makes the split logs fly apart if they are dry and hard. Works better on green wood. I would be looking for a very solid table.

Back