Newrock

There was vertical welding on I think it was the Kramp trailer that if I done it myself I wouldn’t be proud, and you would try and hide it with the flap disc.

Front weight on the biggest JD, there was rough grinder marks, if you had anything to do with it yourself you would have given it a rub of a flap disc

Below was a very well finished (Dutch brand that does all the slurry gear, name escapes me) if you look at the floor at the back, they didn’t even bother to weld the whole way across only welded in places

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 194
There was vertical welding on I think it was the Kramp trailer that if I done it myself I wouldn’t be proud, and you would try and hide it with the flap disc.

Front weight on the biggest JD, there was rough grinder marks, if you had anything to do with it yourself you would have given it a rub of a flap disc

Below was a very well finished (Dutch brand that does all the slurry gear, name escapes me) if you look at the floor at the back, they didn’t even bother to weld the whole way across only welded in places
That kind of strip welding is standard though? An inch of welding holds a tonne of force.

Jan Veehnuis ? I used some of their stuff out in germany

I can guarantee you that weld will never be an issue

Mckennas are a far more simpler job and more Crudely put together but there's heaver stuff in them. Fair difference in the price too with McKenna being considerably cheaper. They're selling like hotcakes at the minute. Can't keep them stocked.
the johnston shear grabs and the rest of there stuff is very well made

I can guarantee you that weld will never be an issue

But in 10 yrs of use will the unwelded bits start curling up? In general that trailer was the best finished trailer we saw.

It was some of the vertical welding and other welding on trailers that we couldn’t get over how poor it was. You would think for a show it would be done 100%.

Last edited:
the johnston shear grabs and the rest of there stuff is very well made
They certainly are. I was changing a tine on a neighbour of mines one on Tuesday. I couldn't get over the age of it. 13 years old and it's in great nick. They're well thought out. The stubs on his one are bolted on making them handier changed. The one thing I'd fault it on is there's a divide in the centre to break up the silage into 2 blocks and it bends the tines. A great grab none the less other than that.

The first shear grab I ever saw was a Johnston, must be the best part of 40 years ago.
Must have been 87. The new ones still come with a sticker saying '
"silver Medal award winner, royal ulster agricultural show 1987," I'm assuming they were the first to develop the design we know and use today.

I remember seeing a parmiter block cutter working many years ago.

Must have been 87. The new ones still come with a sticker saying '
"silver Medal award winner, royal ulster agricultural show 1987," I'm assuming they were the first to develop the design we know and use today.

A lad that I was friendly with many years ago had a Silomac block cutter in 1985 . Made by McHales . They had a short period of glory , the block cutters, not McHales .
So I'd say the 1987 date for the 1st sheargrabs wouldn't be far out ?

I myself would have thought that Parmiter were the 1st shear grabs , but wouldn't be sure .
I have one of them myself for years , and they were certainly a very well made shear grab .

I myself would have thought that Parmiter were the 1st shear grabs , but wouldn't be sure .
I have one of them myself for years , and they were certainly a very well made shear grab
Perrys Athy were Parmiter dealers and had shear grabs from an early date. We bought a Parmiter stake driver off them that had been damaged when a roof collapsed in a heavy snowfall . We bought a redrock shear grab in the early 1980’s .

A lad that I was friendly with many years ago had a Silomac block cutter in 1985 . Made by McHales . They had a short period of glory , the block cutters, not McHales .
So I'd say the 1987 date for the 1st sheargrabs wouldn't be far out ?

I have one of them myself for years , and they were certainly a very well made shear grab .
Johnstons would surely mention it if they were the inventors of the shear grab?

But in 10 yrs of use will the unwelded bits start curling up? In general that trailer was the best finished trailer we saw.

It was some of the vertical welding and other welding on trailers that we couldn’t get over how poor it was. You would think for a show it would be done 100%.
verticle welds will always look ugly but if done right, be much stronger than any horizontal weld. thats according to my old lad

How would they start curling up ?
I wouldn't be too fussed about what the welding looks like once it doesn't break it won't make any odds to the machine.

Vertical down is only suitable for light stuff. With practice, vertical up can look good.
Yes, I definitely agree with you.
It takes a good bit of practice, plus concentration, to master the art of vertically up welding. When done correctly, a bead of weld done vertically up, can look equally as well, as a bead of weld done on the flat (horizontally). However a bead of weld done vertically up does have a distinctive appearance and is easy to spot by the trained eye.
Vertically down welding is only suitable for light gauge material and should never be used for high stressed joints or structural work. Sadly, when at shows, I have noticed a few manufacturers using vertically down welding, where strength is critical, which would not inspire me with confidence, to buy any of their work.
I am reliably informed that with some of the higher end mig/mag welders, that they can be programmed for vertically up welding, so as one man put it, even a dummy could make a good job of a vertically up well. However, I have not had the opportunity to personally test such welding equipment.

Last edited:
How would they start curling up ?
I wouldn't be too fussed about what the welding looks like once it doesn't break it won't make any odds to the machine.
Stone or clay gets jammed between the floor sheeting and the back door, etc there are any number of way when hauling rocks for it to happen, as such material is hard on gear.

Some people are easily pleased on finish, but if the outside finish is poor it would make you suspect on the hidden welds.

One of the premium after market combine headers was missing complete areas of weld and there were bars on the reel hanging loose, this is a 40ft header and costing 100k upwards

Some of the JD casting was very poor, which is hard to believe. Pakistani lads on YouTube would give them a run for their money

2 passes upwards?
There is great satisfaction in completing a vertically up weld, once one masters the technique and the weave.
I always do the upside down “T” pattern, looks a bit cruder but I would be rarely welding vertically.

Is a pass down to tidy up a previous completed upwards weld, allowed 🤣

Back