Potatoes

You wouldn't need to worry about bruising with the amount of soil doing in the trailer and store......yee gads man....

There's quiet a few growers round here giving up contract growing too expensive to grow to expensive to store and feck all in the arsenal to meet the quality standard demanded by the end user...
Fair play to the local buyer he couldn't get contracts signed went to his main buyer .... A large supermarket ..... 5 letters ends in O.... Said summat along the lines I need you to give me more money so I can set a better contract price or there will be no spuds.... A very stingy offer was made which was put to the growers who said blow it out your arse.... The super market buyers then watched nearly all of the grower " reps" walk out of the meeting. A far more reasonable offer was forthcoming before they reached the carpark.....

As I understand it (got all the Goss from a farming chum this very morning as I was collecting to broken spud boxes from him for hay feeders for the wives poines) the long term prospects look a bit toilet he's sacked it , another large grower of spuds who grows for crisping and ready meals has already approcahed him for renting acres next season he can make more than enough from rent with no risk.

The super markets have been lifting legs for far to long with root and vegetable growers certainly on this side of the water .... I was gonna say all the chickens are coming home to roost ... But that's looking pretty FECKING grim too.🤭🤭🤭🤭

View attachment 121383
Was setting British queen's today and a few of the seed the shoots looked like this. My old lad or I have never seen this before. Anyone know what's the cause? Home saved seed if that helps.
To be honest, I don’t like the look of that.

I’ve seen it the odd time but not in seed. It could be herbicide damage (glyphosate drift is very dodgy as it doesn’t show in the growing crop but then the next crop (using tubers from that crop) will be stunted and poor.
Virus is common two and it could be that.

I don’t sell seed potatoes but spent a couple of years working at it in Scotland. There’s so much to go wrong that I wouldn’t consider home saving potatoes as it isn’t worth the risk to the crop.

Edit: I changed the post above as it looked too sharp.

Last edited:
We lost the father unexpectedly two weeks ago,He had his potaoteos sowed in pots, the first few were sowed in early march and he covered them at night for frost. The first ones have blossoms on them.View attachment 123352View attachment 123353

I hope that you get some comfort from The fact that Joe died where he wanted , where he had spent his 89 yrs , and in top form to the very end .
All any man could ask for .

We lost the father unexpectedly two weeks ago,He had his potaoteos sowed in pots, the first few were sowed in early march and he covered them at night for frost. The first ones have blossoms on them.View attachment 123352View attachment 123353
Great to be able to celebrate the life of someone in good health right up to the last minute, and have such wonderful age, he saw some changes in his lifetime. There will be a bed in heaven for him

Very sorry for your loss, he was a very good age and hopefully was in good health for the most of it. To be planting potatoes or any crop at 89 showed he wasn’t planning on going anywhere different soon.

I was very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing MF240. Like Jay above when I heard I was thinking of the calves he reared and all the straw under them :lol:

I also thought of the story a few months ago where you mentioned he was out of action for a while and then one evening he was back out rounding up the cows again on the 240.

Keep those good memories alive and as jf said if we could all live a long and healthy life like that in our own environs we would be delighted.

May he rest in peace.

We lost the father unexpectedly two weeks ago,He had his potaoteos sowed in pots, the first few were sowed in early march and he covered them at night for frost. The first ones have blossoms on them.
Really sorry to hear of this. My condolences on his passing.

Always enjoyed hearing of his antics and sayings. He clearly wasn’t afraid of a bit of work, often showing us all up :laugh:

Post in thread 'What impressed you today'
https://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-impressed-you-today.12425/post-786762

Really sorry to hear of this. My condolences on his passing.

Always enjoyed hearing of his antics and sayings. He clearly wasn’t afraid of a bit of work, often showing us all up :laugh:

Post in thread 'What impressed you today'
https://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-impressed-you-today.12425/post-786762
That’s some achievement, don’t think I’d head off that easily with one!

Sorry for your loss @Mf240 certainly seemed a character and one that will be missed.

Back