Punchestown Machinery Show

The advantage of the EGR is that it can be bypassed. Its not new technology either, I had it, back in the day, on a diesel Fiesta, a '96 with a 1.8 engine. I bypassed it on that after it stuck open on the N7 around Mitchelstown, I'm sure there's still traces of the smoke I left down there!

Add blu is not new technology either mind. Been used in haulage for years.

Most other major manufacturers - Massey, Fendt, New Holland, along with Scania, Volvo, and Mercedes in the truck business are using Adblue for emissions control, so John Deere are the exception to the rule regarding the use of EGR/DPF in heavy equipment.

EGR, (exhaust gas recirculation) ie. recirculating soot back into the air flow into the engine, bypassing the air filters is a bad plan.
Combining that with DPF (soot filter on the exhaust outlet) which clogs up as a matter of course, then needs to burn extra fuel to clean itself (regeneration) and eventually wears out and needs to be replaced, madness in my opinion.

Adblue engines run hotter internally, burning up all the fuel in the cylinder (better economy/no soot) with the side effect of producing NOx (nitrous oxide which causes acid rain) which is neutralised by Adblue. This is an extra cost, but the better fuel economy (due to burning the fuel as opposed to turning it into soot) makes up for it, combined with the lack of a DPF to burn out.

Leaving aside your choice of colour, DPF is a bad solution.

I am mearley asking the question has any manufacturers who run add blue systems announced what they will have to do to get by final tier 4 regulations. i wasnt looking for a lecture. i am well aware of how both systems work. i am also of the knowledge that there is an add blue filter on most add blue systems which needs changing on occasion. "free of coarse". like i said every system has its advantages and dis-advantages. Im sure it wont be long untill we see some ways of eliminating both add blue and dpf out of your engine altogether. be a nice pay day for the inventer. they told us that screwing up injector pumps was finished until the man with the bag of chips came along. :undecided:

Will we end up with a nct for tractors (ntt) especially if the use of chips is seen to bypass/supress manufacturer systems included to meet emissions requirements!

I am mearley asking the question has any manufacturers who run add blue systems announced what they will have to do to get by final tier 4 regulations. i wasnt looking for a lecture. i am well aware of how both systems work. i am also of the knowledge that there is an add blue filter on most add blue systems which needs changing on occasion. "free of coarse". like i said every system has its advantages and dis-advantages. Im sure it wont be long untill we see some ways of eliminating both add blue and dpf out of your engine altogether. be a nice pay day for the inventer. they told us that screwing up injector pumps was finished until the man with the bag of chips came along. :undecided:

Adblue filter is just another small filter to be changed when changing oil or hydraulic filters, its not even on the same page as a DPF. I'm not lecturing, I'm just spelling it out, not everyone understands it as well as we do. :thumbup:

Will we end up with a nct for tractors (ntt) especially if the use of chips is seen to bypass/supress manufacturer systems included to meet emissions requirements!

The car Nct doesn't pick up on chips/remaps or DPF deletes, so I wouldn't worry.

So what your saying is that the current JD system is not good and will give trouble until JD follow the rest with their addblue system .

I think the John Deere system, with expensive wearing parts, increased fuel consumption, shorter oil change intervals with dearer oil, will not be successful in the longer term due to higher cost and potential reliability issues.

And isnt it just music to your ears James :lol:

It is ,and its in the key of G , so I was right , the current JD tractors are to be avoided unless you want expensive repair and running costs , and as I am not used to having repair bills , last year 2012 I did the brakes on the t190 for the first time at 7000 hrs , that was the only repair between the 4 valtra tractors for the year , and they have from 6/12000 hrs on them .:thumbup2:

It is ,and its in the key of G , so I was right , the current JD tractors are to be avoided unless you want expensive repair and running costs , and as I am not used to having repair bills , last year 2012 I did the brakes on the t190 for the first time at 7000 hrs , that was the only repair between the 4 valtra tractors for the year , and they have from 6/12000 hrs on them .:thumbup2:

Have to disagree there james I'm by no means a jd fan but there are tractors from all makes that will break down and cost big money to put right just as there are tractors that will run for years and 10s of thousands of hours trouble free

Have to disagree there james I'm by no means a jd fan but there are tractors from all makes that will break down and cost big money to put right just as there are tractors that will run for years and 10s of thousands of hours trouble free

But if you had the option of buying a tractor with a known fault or a tractor with a good reliable reputation which would you buy.

well you did buy pottinger who use a swissroll as a rotor instead of strautmann, so maybe your not as infallible as you think:fighting::fighting:

well you did buy pottinger who use a swissroll as a rotor instead of strautmann, so maybe your not as infallible as you think:fighting::fighting:

The year I bought the 2 pottinger wagons there were no strautmann giga wagons available , there is little differance between the 2 of them , I also know of 2 giga swissrolls that have broken so they are not unbreakable either , I heard a finger got bent and rubbed its way through the rotor , it can happen any of them , theres a cheap giga on done deal yesterday, looks sound , cheap at 22k , somewhere in laois , do you know it.

But if you had the option of buying a tractor with a known fault or a tractor with a good reliable reputation which would you buy.

like a self splitting valtra. heard of one in north kildare that decided to part on the road about a year ago. i would imagine you know of this james. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :whistle:

dpf is easily got rid of. just needs a decat or straight through piece of exhaust put in and a remap.
im sure there will be something in the pipeline for add blue soon

the only reason we never here of valtras breaking down as your the only one on here running them lol.
aside from that if the theres many more deeres in ireland than valtras and if both nos were equally matched id say the no of break downs would be very similar.
spending my own money id take the unreliable deere as there a more comfortable place to spend 8 plus hrs a day

James you must be delighted with the award? Especially over the hassle you got a few years back trying to get into the show??

Next year, I'd love to see your stand in between valtra and jd!!!

James you must be delighted with the award? Especially over the hassle you got a few years back trying to get into the show??

Next year, I'd love to see your stand in between valtra and jd!!!

I hear James will soon be buying New Holland if what I heard about Clarke Machinery has any truth to it :whistling:

This prize of a trip to the New Holland factory was far from luck I think :001_smile:

I hear James will soon be buying New Holland if what I heard about Clarke Machinery has any truth to it :whistling:

This prize of a trip to the New Holland factory was far from luck I think :001_smile:

Clarkes sent him on a mission!

The truth is out now - well done GH!

The year I bought the 2 pottinger wagons there were no strautmann giga wagons available , there is little differance between the 2 of them , I also know of 2 giga swissrolls that have broken so they are not unbreakable either , I heard a finger got bent and rubbed its way through the rotor , it can happen any of them , theres a cheap giga on done deal yesterday, looks sound , cheap at 22k , somewhere in laois , do you know it.

I don't see an ad on donedeal for a giga. :whistle:

This is news to me , what have you heard or dreamed up:thumbup:

the only reason we never here of valtras breaking down as your the only one on here running them lol.
aside from that if the theres many more deeres in ireland than valtras and if both nos were equally matched id say the no of break downs would be very similar.
spending my own money id take the unreliable deere as there a more comfortable place to spend 8 plus hrs a day

you want to spend 8 hrs a day on a tractor , we would have that done before dinner time and another 12 hrs after dinner sitting on a grammer air seat in the height of comfort.

My my!all this fuss over a few ould tractors!yed swear the choice of make u buy would make/break your fortune.Most of them more likely to break it i think.But optimism keeps us buying i guess:001_smile:.And please dont tell me about the trouble free brand-it doesnt exist!!
Anyway was looking at topcon gps at punchestown;they claim accuracy down to 4" without paying for signal partly because they can use russian Glonass sats as well as american gps.Other brands only use gps.The topcon system 110 is priced at1700 euros + vat.Has anyone any experience of these?:

My my!all this fuss over a few ould tractors!yed swear the choice of make u buy would make/break your fortune.Most of them more likely to break it i think.But optimism keeps us buying i guess:001_smile:.And please dont tell me about the trouble free brand-it doesnt exist!!
Anyway was looking at topcon gps at punchestown;they claim accuracy down to 4" without paying for signal partly because they can use russian Glonass sats as well as american gps.Other brands only use gps.The topcon system 110 is priced at1700 euros + vat.Has anyone any experience of these?:

have one seedsower, bought it back about 3 years ago,only use it for spraying and fertiliser spreading, wouldnt do a minutes work without it now.
great service from david and the boys at topcon.
had a problem with an ariel one day and had a new one the next morning.

This is news to me , what have you heard or dreamed up:thumbup:

Your the man thats well able to dream,off ya go now and make afew calls and see what you come up with :yes:

I'm tellin you the next tractor you buy out of Clarkes wont be a dirty oul Valtra :no:

Back