Silage 2020

What's a silage season without a bit of rooting and muck...
IMG_20200804_174756.jpg

What's a silage season without a bit of rooting and muck...View attachment 81027
there,s a contractor cuts round here and he moved to 24 ft triple axle trailers this year and to be honest if we get a wet year they,ll have to be left in the yard , a very good contractor but on anything less than very good conditions there,ll be trouble

There is no need to fill trailers if conditions are wet. It is very simple the first lad that arrives in the yard with a loaded trailer is sent home . Half loads do a lot less damage even on three axles.

Your dead right .would rather ay for an extra trailer n trailer drawing and do not damage...but then for the few hours it takes theres a tractor and some sort of a grain / silage trailer at every house or at a friends or neighbours house.our guy doesnt care how many trailers are drawing in a wet time as long as there is a trailer always under the spout.worth it with small loads in the end

Reactions: Paw
All will be parked for awhile round here for awhile.savage rain this morning.
Friend that works with lakeland was telling me that up at his homeplace beside malin head they had 45mm yesterday.3rd cuts need a bit of dry weather now to be ready for end of the month

There is no need to fill trailers if conditions are wet. It is very simple the first lad that arrives in the yard with a loaded trailer is sent home . Half loads do a lot less damage even on three axles.
Bale trailers often do more harm than silage trailers, more weight and worse tyres.

there,s a contractor cuts round here and he moved to 24 ft triple axle trailers this year and to be honest if we get a wet year they,ll have to be left in the yard , a very good contractor but on anything less than very good conditions there,ll be trouble
They triple axles spreadvthe weight well though so as long as there not getting overfilled they will probably make mess mess than the twin axles

That's a handy field, a load in a 20 ft would clear it in first cut, we used 3 trailers to clear the second cut, they were sinking when empty....

Had to cancel my main silage field for a second cut over three weeks ago due to an unforseen problem

I've a three acre paddock that's now way too strong for grazing, took a first cut off it may 30th and grazed once after that

Been growing for five weeks now, if I let it grow on as late as the third week of September, might it deliver ten bale's per acre or is that too ambitious for a late second cut ?

Not worried about quality as the first cut is pure gold

Had to cancel my main silage field for a second cut over three weeks ago due to an unforseen problem

I've a three acre paddock that's now way too strong for grazing, took a first cut off it may 30th and grazed once after that

Been growing for five weeks now, if I let it grow on as late as the third week of September, might it deliver ten bale's per acre or is that too ambitious for a late second cut ?

why wait?if you got it cut it
september it will be washed down the river

Sounds like you re looking for bales. Why not just wait a week or 10 days and you ll get a good burst of growth in the mean time. Surely between here and middle of September, another chance would come

Sounds like you re looking for bales. Why not just wait a week or 10 days and you ll get a good burst of growth in the mean time. Surely between here and middle of September, another chance would come

Was wondering if letting it grow on well into September will add enough bulk to compensate for reduced quality

As long as they eat it ,its worth it for even an extra bale per acre

grass onlu grows 4 leaves then the 1st dies off and a new 1 come up in its place
cut now and end of september
talking about 3 acres .. costs cutting and raking twice. and not being able to graze til end october makes no sense to me. i would leave a week or 10 days go and have a good cover of grass for second half september.

Was wondering if letting it grow on well into September will add enough bulk to compensate for reduced quality

As long as they eat it ,its worth it for even an extra bale per acre

talking about 3 acres .. costs cutting and raking twice. and not being able to graze til end october makes no sense to me. i would leave a week or 10 days go and have a good cover of grass for second half september.

3 acres . Leave it another fortnight , cut it , and you will have a bit of Aftergrass.

Talking about letting it bulk up even another bale an acre , and so long as they eat it , it will be OK. Every parish in the country has some ould lad with a field to cut , or a stack of gut fill at €20 a bale.

Back