Silage 2020

I don't suppose that Pottinger will , but

Who would have said 25 odd years ago , that a company from the Wesht of Ireland making silage block cutters , would outsell all other makes of balers put together , and it would be with a machine that baled a bale of silage , and applied the wrap to the bale , using 1 tractor and 1 operator.

You yourself , @johndeere6920s were anti McHale for longer than most .

25 years ago, if you said Claas were not in the top two of Balers, you would be looked at rather oddly. How things change.

He still hasn't answered the OH question.
.......:whistle:

The last women I was talking to was back at the first cut. I was never on the farm before and the farmer was concerned about social distancing so the plan was to go in one at a time. The farmer pointed over vagualy at the row of houses so when my turn came I pulled up and went in through the open door. There was a pot of tea and food on the table so I sat down and started eating. The next thing this women came into the kitchen and screamed and asked me who I was. I told her I was working for the contractor cutting Paddys silage and Paddy told me to come in for food. She repeated all this back and then she said that this wasnt Paddys house. :speechless::speechless:

25 years ago, if you said Claas were not in the top two of Balers, you would be looked at rather oddly. How things change.
Yep Kuhn is making a huge push in my area, the crop flow is a huge selling point, Deere starting to make an impact too. Sure you'd hardly see a welger here now apart from one farmer has 3 lely up the road.
Couple that with the basic fact that roller baler sales worldwide are miniscule compared to belt balers, McHale at the end of the day are Z list players in the market.

Yep Kuhn is making a huge push in my area, the crop flow is a huge selling point, Deere starting to make an impact too. Sure you'd hardly see a welger here now apart from one farmer has 3 lely up the road.
Couple that with the basic fact that roller baler sales worldwide are miniscule compared to belt balers, McHale at the end of the day are Z list players in the market.
So what is the ratio of belt:roller balers globally?
5:1 , 10:1 , 100:1
l honestly wouldn't have a clue.
Your final sentence is a tad harsh too l would think.

So what is the ratio of belt:roller balers globally?
5:1 , 10:1 , 100:1
l honestly wouldn't have a clue.
Your final sentence is a tad harsh too l would think.
id say we are talking 100 to 1 maybe more, consider this, USA is so vast Ive heard john deere sell more of one model of combine than Claas have total combine sales, think of how many balers they have, practically none are fixed roller chambers balers, Europe is similar, pretty much no roller chamber balers, reserved for nordic countries, UK and Ireland and New Zealand.

id say we are talking 100 to 1 maybe more, consider this, USA is so vast Ive heard john deere sell more of one model of combine than Claas have total combine sales, think of how many balers they have, practically none are fixed roller chambers balers, Europe is similar, pretty much no roller chamber balers, reserved for nordic countries, UK and Ireland and New Zealand.
hardly Puts mchale on Z list in fairness. Look at the places where they sell and il bet they hold their own with main brands and rightly so. Not perfect but dam good imo

I would sometimes be in Ringaskiddy port Cork and see up to 12 new McHale fusions lined up waiting for export. I have not got an exact price for them but must be heading close to €1,000,000 sitting there, we are exporting a product of Irish design, manufacturing skills and material, It makes me proud, that we have people of that ability in this country. No matter how big or small their % of market share is Fair dues to the likes of McHale, Keenan and hundreds of others who can achieve this in a very competitive market. For all of us it’s much better than importing machines.

Edit:When I reread my post it sounds like I work for McHale, I don't and don't own any of their machines either, but i take my hat off to them.

Last edited:
I would sometimes be in Ringaskiddy port Cork and see up to 12 new McHale fusions lined up waiting for export. I have not got an exact price for them but must be heading close to €1,000,000 sitting there, we are exporting a product of Irish design, manufacturing skills and material, It makes me proud, that we have people of that ability in this country. No matter how big or small their % of market share is Fair dues to the likes of McHale, Keenan and hundreds of others who can achieve this in a very competitive market. For all of us it’s much better than importing machines.
I’d have to agree, In fairness to them when I got the chance to walk through the factory line in 13 they had fusion 3’s all down it and nearly each one was headed to a different country going by the spec sheet hanging on each. There was 4 Artic trailers sitting outside with 3 on each all ready to head off, and I think at the time there production was 20/week

A friend of mine lives on a route that avoids the port tunnel for high loads and he asked what were all the Mchale that were passing by on trucks. He was gobsmacked when I told him they were Baler rappers made in Mayo heading for export .

Edit:When I reread my post it sounds like I work for McHale, I don't and don't own any of their machines either, but i take my hat off to them.
Agree 100% when you see videos of McHale machinery working all over the world, you'd have to be proud.
And when you see the truck loads of fusions heading for the docks and think that every bit of steel, and I'm sure most of the components had to be imported and brought to Ballinrobe .
It's good action.

Z list in proportion to their footprint on the world market. I'm not knocking their machine or their ambition as a company. But if we are talking popularity here comparing balers by manufacturer(which the claim from some here seemed to be McHale is the most popular baler by far), then worldwide McHale are a non entity. Deere Agco CNH are juggernauts beyond comprehension.

Can you get a tour of McHale's factory?
I went up for an interview in the real bad snow early 13 and they gave us a tour when we were there. It’s impressive in fairness to them everything bar the tube on the rear arm of the fusion rapper arrives as a flat sheet and is lazer cut and folded on site

I’d have to agree, In fairness to them when I got the chance to walk through the factory line in 13 they had fusion 3’s all down it and nearly each one was headed to a different country going by the spec sheet hanging on each. There was 4 Artic trailers sitting outside with 3 on each all ready to head off, and I think at the time there production was 20/week
Apparently in South Korea McHale have the top market share, all the way from Mayo!!

Apparently in South Korea McHale have the top market share, all the way from Mayo!!

As ray said to me when he was with mchale the abuse he said they gave the balers there been dragged about was savage in the paddy fields

Back