Silage 2021

Who needs 2 loaders on a pit when 1 399 will do the job perfectly wellā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦
When a crowd have a set up big enough to justify sheds that size and covered pits I canā€™t understand why they would not have a decent set up for putting in the silage amd proper packing of it. I know probably plenty on here that buckrake their silage in but that looks like pure ā€œmullickingā€.

When a crowd have a set up big enough to justify sheds that size and covered pits I canā€™t understand why they would not have a decent set up for putting in the silage amd proper packing of it. I know probably plenty on here that buckrake their silage in but that looks like pure ā€œmullickingā€.
It's all about the skilled operator šŸ˜ƒ

The only bit that was worth noting was the noise off the 399 which you'd become tired of soon enough, sounds like it has a turbo fitted, a day of looking over your shoulder... :undecided:

I used to push up silage for a lad using a Ford 4000 and he would get you to make a ramp and just drop the grass over the back. You would eventually have a ten foot wall of grass pushing rake fulls over. The face of it would be well rolled and you would eventually end up at a back wall and put a tractor rolling it and stay filling till it was level.

She d want to be a ramp pit dug into a hill with no roof or walls.only @Agri Power could give a verdict on this.be back to one loader one on a pit if you haven't belief in 2 been better than 1 !!

I'd say looking at the size of the pit & roof covering it, a jcb or volvo (take ur pick)is just out of camera with some lad doing a repair on it & the old work horse was just showing " there's life in the old girl yet" for a couple of load.

Be cynical about everything on a video nowadays.

All the bales are now drawn in. In the end had 4 trailers and 2 loaders going. Shifted about 380 of them today. When extra trailers a going, makes an awful difference. Soft hands broke yesterday so went back to the rollers and made an improvement over the amount of holes in the plastic. Soft hands struggled to try and get the bales off the trailer due to the bales sinking. Issue was when we 1st started, we couldn't keep up with the baler, was doing 10 bales to the acre at the start. If we had kept up or the baler didn't do so much in one go, would have had a better time. Turned out the farmer only wanted 600 odd bales so he got plenty of spare feeding now for the winter

Last edited:
All the bales are now drawn in. In the end had 4 trailers and 2 loaders going. Shifted about 380 of them today. When extra trailers a going, makes an awful difference. Soft hands broke yesterday so went back to the rollers and made an improvement over the amount of holes in the plastic. Soft hands struggled to try and get the bales off the trailer due to the bales sinking. Issue was when we 1st started, we couldn't keep up with the baler, was doing 10 bales to the acre at the start. If we had kept up or the baler didn't do so much in one go, would have had a better time. Turned out the farmer only wanted 600 odd bales so he got plenty of spare feeding now for the winter
We had to draw 170 this week about 4 miles, "we" is a loose term as I done sfa, taught we would never be finished, took over 10 hrs from picking first in the field to having last in the stack. Church work

I'd say looking at the size of the pit & roof covering it, a jcb or volvo (take ur pick)is just out of camera with some lad doing a repair on it & the old work horse was just showing " there's life in the old girl yet" for a couple of load.

Be cynical about everything on a video nowadays.
It takes so long to do the silage that way its better to have the pits roofed....

Reality is that roofed silage pit`s will start to get more common in year`s to come . Dirty water / effluent is a major pollutant . Only way to eliminate it is the better control water around silage pit`s . As is it is there`s a pathetic attempt by farmer`s to manage it .
We've moved on from them now....

Some waste of money, keeping waterproof plastic dry. And probably machinery outside getting wet

Some waste of money, keeping waterproof plastic dry. And probably machinery outside getting wet

I like to keep both dry here. Its great to be able to get up on a pit of a wet morning and strip the plastic without getting drowned wet. I know a lot of farmers that leave their machinery out in the elements that havent a roofed pit and thats a bigger waste of money imv.

My 36m x 80m silo barn certainly get some comments,lad here a few weeks back said ā€œI donā€™t usually get shed envy but thereā€™s only one thing wrong with this shed,itā€™s not in my yardā€ šŸ˜‚
I feed up every day of the year and working in the dry is worth every penny,itā€™s also probably put a quarter of a million on the value of my farm.

My 36m x 80m silo barn certainly get some comments,lad here a few weeks back said ā€œI donā€™t usually get shed envy but thereā€™s only one thing wrong with this shed,itā€™s not in my yardā€ šŸ˜‚
I feed up every day of the year and working in the dry is worth every penny,itā€™s also probably put a quarter of a million on the value of my farm.
I presume sheā€™d like that cost a quarter of a million to build too?

Back