Smarter Farms

Have you ever used a mobile device to monitor any parameter on your farm?

• Yes

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I didn't know this technology existed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would but its too expensive

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Barrett95

If you had a device that could tell you any piece of information about your farm, what bit/s of information would you want it to show?

I would like a way for first time posters to introduce themselves and say why they want our help and what they are doing with it.
Oh yes there already is that option, it is called manners
Apologies "Gone", Myself and some fellow students are currently looking into how smart farming can benefit the way that farmers perform certain tasks, such as soil monitors that can alert you when there isn't enough moisture in the soil to ways in which farmers can handle their business and sell produce online. Its fair to say that we have a lot of research to conduct and are keen to get to the point with our questions, so that we may produce something in a rather small time frame

We use Temperture sensors to monitor the Temperature of grain . They use the Sigfox signal so no internet or GSM required . We also have a device that detects movement also using Sigfox . We also use a D plug linked to the weather forecast to turn on the fans and also use one to turn on infared light on sprayer during frost . You can monitor all these devices on phone or computer . I think Lempken do a weather station
We also use moisture meters for grain and the contractor has a moisture probe for straw . We also have a PH meter probe for soil . We have a lot of information but how much it adds to profit is where the problem is . If you cannot measure it you cannot manage it .
A bullshit detector would a good idea .

We use Temperture sensors to monitor the Temperature of grain . They use the Sigfox signal so no internet or GSM required . We also have a device that detects movement also using Sigfox . We also use a D plug linked to the weather forecast to turn on the fans and also use one to turn on infared light on sprayer during frost . You can monitor all these devices on phone or computer . I think Lempken do a weather station
We also use moisture meters for grain and the contractor has a moisture probe for straw . We also have a PH meter probe for soil . We have a lot of information but how much it adds to profit is where the problem is . If you cannot measure it you cannot manage it .
A bullshit detector would a good idea .

Thanks Bog Man for your response, where would you say that this monitoring adds the most profit / does not add any profit? I like your quote "If you cannot measure it you cannot manage it". Our research has showed us that almost anything in farming can be measured, including bull's shit but unfortunately not bullshit

The fan on and off and sprayer light save money on electricity and ensure the job is done so it adds to €+ side but we still might not be in profit . It also measures how much electricity is used . It will not tell you that you should have sold and shipped all the grain at harvest and gone to Lanzarote for the winter .

The fan on and off and sprayer light save money on electricity and ensure the job is done so it adds to €+ side but we still might not be in profit . It also measures how much electricity is used . It will not tell you that you should have sold and shipped all the grain at harvest and gone to Lanzarote for the winter .
Probaly just as well, it would probably keep telling to to give up arable and go dairying. :rolleyes2:

A monitor of some sort that goes into a feed bin that when the feed goes below a certain level a beacon on the bin flashes and the farmer gets a text to remind them that feed is low and re-order. it would save a lot of hardship.

A monitor of some sort that goes into a feed bin that when the feed goes below a certain level a beacon on the bin flashes and the farmer gets a text to remind them that feed is low and re-order. it would save a lot of hardship.
That does sound like a good area to focus some research into. I'm sure there is technology out there for this but maybe no one has put a product together to solve this issue.

That does sound like a good area to focus some research into. I'm sure there is technology out there for this but maybe no one has put a product together to solve this issue.
have a look but I want a good cut out of this. Nothing fancy needed, no doubt feed mills would be a prime target to sell to as I work for a mill and orders this time of the year that are urgent out of feed are a disaster as capacity is stretched as it is.

There is a system for monitoring Diesel tanks so the oil company know who needs a fill and organize delivery.

This is a short synopsis of information and contact details in relation to the temperature sensor .

The temperature sensor was bought from Linobjec (linobjec.com) in France.
Stephanie at sales@linobjec .com was extremely helpful.

The unit cost us 100 euro which was

60 euro for the unit
20 euro for the Sigfox service for a year (50 messages/day)
20 euro postage

The sensor has a base unit which has the electronics and a temperature
sensor. Attached is a 2 metre cable with a temperature sensor on the end.
We put the cable and sensor in a 2 metre copper pipe and insert it in the
grain. This gives the temperature in the grain and the base unit gives the
temperature of the air over the grain.

The temperatures and graph can be viewed on pc or smartphone and a
spreadsheet can be downloaded for the record or analysis.

The device has been working for the last three months and it seems that the
claim of over a years battery life would be accurate.

The device transmits its data over the Sigfox network which is a
proprietary radio network using RTE's system. It is run in Ireland by VT (
vt-iot.com). They have a website with links to manufacturers of various
Sigfox devices including temperature sensors. I emailed some of these but
the most responsive and cheapest was Linobjec.

Conor Dowling (conor.dowling@vt-iot.com) has been very helpful wrt to the
Sigfox network and devices.

have a look but I want a good cut out of this. Nothing fancy needed, no doubt feed mills would be a prime target to sell to as I work for a mill and orders this time of the year that are urgent out of feed are a disaster as capacity is stretched as it is.

Calor use a system on bulk tanks now where they know from the office how much is in each tank and send a refill automatically when it’s running low. Tank also has gps so driver has no problem finding it.

If like @Blackwater boy suggested could be installed to feed bins, mills could then try to sign up customers for yearly or two yearly contracts taking the onus of management of feed supplies of farmers and giving mills more security of future planning deliveries and customer retention

Calor use a system on bulk tanks now where they know from the office how much is in each tank and send a refill automatically when it’s running low. Tank also has gps so driver has no problem finding it.

If like @Blackwater boy suggested could be installed to feed bins, mills could then try to sign up customers for yearly or two yearly contracts taking the onus of management of feed supplies of farmers and giving mills more security of future planning deliveries and customer retention
Being a farmer-that will never happen.....

Being a farmer-that will never happen.....

Signing a yearly contract? I know that would be the hardest part, but the biggest farms using the greatest quantity’s will get greater discounts. The family farm farmer doesn’t like contracts but the business man farmer would.

Signing a yearly contract? I know that would be the hardest part, but the biggest farms using the greatest quantity’s will get greater discounts. The family farm farmer doesn’t like contracts but the business man farmer would.
Glanbia attempted to bride us into that last autumn and it Didint go down well

Glanbia attempted to bride us into that last autumn and it Didint go down well
If I was selling meal I would happily pay for this system to be installed in farmers meal bins just to give me the first opportunity to quote for the next delivery. Contract would be a massive bonus of course but it could be worked without, benefit for the farmer and co-op

If I was selling meal I would happily pay for this system to be installed in farmers meal bins just to give me the first opportunity to quote for the next delivery. Contract would be a massive bonus of course but it could be worked without, benefit for the farmer and co-op
Personally if I was notified my my feed bin that it was gone below a certain level id be delighted and I'd then make the call myself then, we buy feed from 2 private merchants, feed type changes and cal mag and mineral rates etc changes also so a phone call must still be made each time I think.

Personally if I was notified my my feed bin that it was gone below a certain level id be delighted and I'd then make the call myself then, we buy feed from 2 private merchants, feed type changes and cal mag and mineral rates etc changes also so a phone call must still be made each time I think.
Oh absolutely. What I'm saying is if one of those merchants came in and offered to put in the sensor at their expense and they got the message same time as you did but you had the freedom to buy where you like it could still work. They get to quote you, sometimes you'll say go ahead and refill, other times you'll say I'm going to get other quotes but they always get a bite at the cherry

Oh absolutely. What I'm saying is if one of those merchants came in and offered to put in the sensor at their expense and they got the message same time as you did but you had the freedom to buy where you like it could still work. They get to quote you, sometimes you'll say go ahead and refill, other times you'll say I'm going to get other quotes but they always get a bite at the cherry
Fair point, it would depend on the yoke I've invented in my head and drawn a plan of on the shite stuck to the windows of the loader would cost, it could be subsidised maybe by the merchant. Just an idea to make life easier on farmer and mill so all could be prepared rather than an empty bin and cows bawling.

What sort of containers are the feed kept in? Would it be suitable for a weight based sensor to measure the weight or a light based sensor which could measure the feed level?

Back