Sprayer Operator Training

nashmach

I note today in the Farming Indo, that all sprayer operators will have to complete a course now to Teagasc Level 5 standard at least.

More hassle and part of this Pesticide Directive rules [emoji34]

Is the Teagasc Level 5 Pesticide Application short course the module that would have been done as part of the green cert I wonder?

Is the Teagasc Level 5 Pesticide Application short course the module that would have been done as part of the green cert I wonder?

It is indeed.

I can't recall if I did that one though!
[MENTION=1611]Skimmer[/MENTION] do you remember that one.

If I have done it, I will have a good laugh at the boss man learning for that!

It seems to have moved on as a few weeks ago it was explained at a meeting everyone who applied would get "grandfather" rights.

It is indeed.

It seems to have moved on as a few weeks ago it was explained at a meeting everyone who applied would get "grandfather" rights.

So does that mean that those of us that did that module in Ag College are covered and need do no more Nash?.

So does that mean that those of us that did that module in Ag College are covered and need do no more Nash?.

I would have thought so DP.

It seems I did one called Safe Use of Pesticide Products.

I remember it being a bookwork material too.

Is this similar to what ye lads are referring to?

I'm surprised no mention of CPD yet like NROSO in tge UK.

I did it in college anyway and got the cert. mine is a fetac level 6 purpose certificate in pesticide application (boom)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one on.the course I'm doing is for the napsack I think.I believe grandfather rights end in December 2015 and all sprayers must be nsts tested by Dec 2016

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

I would have thought so DP.

It seems I did one called Safe Use of Pesticide Products.

I remember it being a bookwork material too.

Is this similar to what ye lads are referring to?

I'm surprised no mention of CPD yet like NROSO in tge UK.

As far as I can remember the module I did was called Pesticide Application, there was some practical stuff to it, calibrating nozzle output and the like. I also seem to remember a group of us with knapsacks spraying water on the concrete yards :rolleyes:

It is indeed.

You are correct Nash, I think we only did the safe use of pesticides on our course. Wasn't much use at all really.

Just out of curiousity [MENTION=3007]Tippcon[/MENTION], what was involved in the training for this?

Many days etc?

I'm sure others will be looking into this over the next year or two too....

Just out of curiousity [MENTION=3007]Tippcon[/MENTION], what was involved in the training for this?

Many days etc?

I'm sure others will be looking into this over the next year or two too....

I did the Pesticide Application module as part of the Green Cert during my year in Kildalton. Was straightforward enough as I remember, I'm sure it could be condensed into a day, although knowing Teagasc they'll probably drag the arse out of it

if its the same as over here its not all bad . It does thin out some of the poorer sprayer operators . restrictions are tightening all the time and a lot of very usefull chemicals have been lost due to bad practice and groundwater contamination ,some of this might have been avoided
the other point is that the price of chemicals now is so high that proper training in their use is no bad thing
I do a half day a year to keep up to date and it gets done at a quiet time so no real hardship if it saves losing more chems
grandfather rights will dissapear all together next year , I think that is Europe wide

Dad did the teagasc level 5 one years ago, so hopefully it is the accepted standard. And it's through reading the manual he got doing it that i learned how to properly check/set nozzles and calibrate water volumes etc. should get to do it "officially" as part of green cert when I'm doing it i hope and then that would be both of us covered. If it's more or less the same as the manual he got still it shouldn't be to bad in fairness, it's not exactly rocket science...

But i do also think it is needed going by some of the stuff I've read else where..... Some lads dont even seem to posses the basics to go and read the bloody label to work out how much chemical to use per acre :( :( :(

Dad did the teagasc level 5 one years ago, so hopefully it is the accepted standard. And it's through reading the manual he got doing it that i learned how to properly check/set nozzles and calibrate water volumes etc. should get to do it "officially" as part of green cert when I'm doing it i hope and then that would be both of us covered. If it's more or less the same as the manual he got still it shouldn't be to bad in fairness, it's not exactly rocket science...

But i do also think it is needed going by some of the stuff I've read else where..... Some lads dont even seem to posses the basics to go and read the bloody label to work out how much chemical to use per acre :( :( :(

But your agronomist who is a professional will advise of the rate to apply and what way to do it. That is a key part of this Sustainable Use Directive!

But your agronomist who is a professional will advise of the rate to apply and what way to do it. That is a key part of this Sustainable Use Directive!

Will you therefore have to name a registered agronomist before you can obtain said chemicals and apply them?

Yes i completely agree, in a tillage situation it's always an agronomists recommendations, but i was more thinking of stuff I've read in relation to use of chemicals for grass land, or even just in relation to the amount of chemical to use in a nap sack for doing around a bit of fencing, it takes all of 2 minutes to read the label yet it seems some people would prefer to just use "ah sure a cup full does a good job" in those cases the idea of training is very welcome in my view....

Don't be surprised!

I must get on to the sister, we could make a fortune :whistle:

Yes i completely agree, in a tillage situation it's always an agronomists recommendations, but i was more thinking of stuff I've read in relation to use of chemicals for grass land, or even just in relation to the amount of chemical to use in a nap sack for doing around a bit of fencing, it takes all of 2 minutes to read the label yet it seems some people would prefer to just use "ah sure a cup full does a good job" in those cases the idea of training is very welcome in my view....

A neighbour of ours used to reckon a 50/50 mix of roundup and water in the knapsack did a great job cleaning up around the yard :D

I must get on to the sister, we could make a fortune :whistle:

A neighbour of ours used to reckon a 50/50 mix of roundup and water in the knapsack did a great job cleaning up around the yard :D

Id imagine it did alright, probably nothing grew back for 3or 4 years after it...

Spot on but unfortunately most in that group will probably be exempt as they won't be spraying big acreages.

Back