Spring Barley - General Thread

Could i ask , was your barley drilled with your namesake the trusty MF 30 drill ?? And if so is there a lesson in there for us all regarding the benefit of combine drilling spring cereals .
A very good result in a difficult year gives me hope for my own barley still a week away from cutting .

Could i ask , was your barley drilled with your namesake the trusty MF 30 drill ?? And if so is there a lesson in there for us all regarding the benefit of combine drilling spring cereals .
A very good result in a difficult year gives me hope for my own barley still a week away from cutting .
Indeed is was all planted with the MF30, fert down the spout, conventionally harrowed once before sowing. Nothing technical or over complicated used except chemistry.

Mine was also combine drilled and the early barley didn’t yield, weather seems to be the major factor this year, fresh ground and good rotation also played a major part in both winter and spring cereals

Mine was also combine drilled and the early barley didn’t yield, weather seems to be the major factor this year, fresh ground and good rotation also played a major part in both winter and spring cereals
I’ve got 2 fields that have been growing SB for at least 40 years with a crop of beet in between whenever allowed back in the sugar factory days. Top yielding fields every year but plenty of dung spread every few years keeps performance up.

I’ve got 2 fields that have been growing SB for at least 40 years with a crop of beet in between whenever allowed back in the sugar factory days. Top yielding fields every year but plenty of dung spread every few years keeps performance up.
The weather really affected us , this land is normally 3.25 to 3.5 land and also got dung this year I was disappointed as it got a super strike and was super looking but the lack of moisture affected it, heavier land and later sown barley that got rain when the crop wanted it are looking better. The better crops are on 80% of my spring barley ground .Hopefully the combine will prove me right !!!!

Green grains are also not getting thrown out the back or remaining on heads, every one of them can be found in the tank :scratchhead:

Green grains are also not getting thrown out the back or remaining on heads, every one of them can be found in the tank :scratchhead:
Because of their heavier weight they’ll stay in the combine. Tiny or very light grains get blown out the back without making it through the sieves.

Biggest problem from now on will be combines and trailers bogging, was in the stubbles this morning and can't believe how wet the soil is now.

Father is haunting me about years gone by where grain that was very ripe was thrashed off by high winds, anyone see this before ?

Father is haunting me about years gone by where grain that was very ripe was thrashed off by high winds, anyone see this before ?
The wind would batter one head off the next causing losses, nothing ripe to that level around here yet for that to happen.

With barley the straw tends to breakdown or heads fall off before grains thrash out of the head.
Unfortunately a percentage of all fields of barley are getting to that stage here, 20/25% green head was all that stopping most fields from being harvested, the 75/80% that is ripe or over ripe will be susceptible to high losses if this weather continues.

Just from my own recent experience, 2/ 3 years ago I had a field of SB which, due to the weather, was never harvested. Naturally of course it broke down over the winter, but even throughout that winter, the heads and grains pretty much remained intact from what I can remember.

Biggest problem from now on will be combines and trailers bogging, was in the stubbles this morning and can't believe how wet the soil is now.
I've already had trailer get stuck. I've sb ground that I have to cross 2 fields to get out onto a lane. It's going to be problematic loading trailers if this wet stays around. It'll be a sickener if the combine ends up having to go to the trailers 2 fields away.

With barley the straw tends to breakdown or heads fall off before grains thrash out of the head.
Unfortunately a percentage of all fields of barley are getting to that stage here, 20/25% green head was all that stopping most fields from being harvested, the 75/80% that is ripe or over ripe will be susceptible to high losses if this weather continues.
Added to that the worst of those fields got pre harvest treated and that makes matters worse again.

You may engineer a few hairdryers to go on the haybob after the last few days yet to get the straw dry.:sweat:

Is there a lot of pre harvest treated crops to be cut up your side?

Any of it done around here is on day 9 and I know some is 2 weeks done today. I wouldn't like to be looking at it in the morning.

There was a heavy fog around here today and It's noticeable that crops are lodging already from it :sweat:

Back