Spring beans

Is it an Amazone air drill you sow them with?
It’s an Amazone box drill I have and been told they won’t do beans as they crush them in the rollers. I haven’t tried them in it.
Open the bottom flap to the max and that drill will sow them the very best, wont crush any of them.
You can get bean rollers for them if you really wish but not necessary in my opinion

Surely seed rate go up as sowing date pushes out @Crops ?
I’ve seen that mentioned.

As mentioned, losses in the field should be a bit less so plant numbers will probably rise a small bit anyway.
I’d aim for plant numbers in the mid 30’s/m2.

High plant numbers (40/m2) has shown higher yields in trials but a very thick crop can bring its own problems in terms of disease and lodging in our climate.

Too thin reduces yield and pods can end up forming below the reach of the combine header.

Open the bottom flap to the max and that drill will sow them the very best, wont crush any of them.
You can get bean rollers for them if you really wish but not necessary in my opinion
Got the bean kit and massive difference in them.More even crop also

Reactions: Bcl
I’m not planting beans this year but curious.
Is the bean kit a full set of rollers with bigger recesses?
If so is it not a massive job to convert these as I assume you would have to change back again for grain.

As in more even spacing between plants ?does it take long to change to bean kit and vice versa? Anything I've sown with grain rollers and bottom flap fully open has been as good as any other bean sowing drill that I've seen locally, in fairness I've never seen anything sown with that bean kit so maybe it is a better job , I wont argue with you!

I’m not planting beans this year but curious.
Is the bean kit a full set of rollers with bigger recesses?
If so is it not a massive job to convert these as I assume you would have to change back again for grain.
Ya probably an hours work to change them.There just more space for the beans to pass tru them.Change back then for grain

As in more even spacing between plants ?does it take long to change to bean kit and vice versa? Anything I've sown with grain rollers and bottom flap fully open has been as good as any other bean sowing drill that I've seen locally, in fairness I've never seen anything sown with that bean kit so maybe it is a better job , I wont argue with you!
Ya I got definitely thought the crop looked more even

Reactions: Bcl
I used to sow beans with an amazone box drill a few years ago (ad 303) before changing to an amazone air drill with disc coulters. It used to do a good job, was always pleased enough with how the came up. Just a few of the settings that I remember are to open the bottom flap to setting 3 or 4 as opposed to 2 for sowing cereal grains and the shutter slides at the top of each coulter above the metering wheel should be 3/4 open instead of fully open.

I still have 8 acres of beans to sow and I have to sow them because if half the seed gone out of one bag. A late harvest could ruin them so I’ll probably go with a very skimpy herbicide, fert, and fungicide just to reduce risk of they aren’t harvested

I still have 8 acres of beans to sow and I have to sow them because if half the seed gone out of one bag. A late harvest could ruin them so I’ll probably go with a very skimpy herbicide, fert, and fungicide just to reduce risk of they aren’t harvested
Would you consider sowing them shallower to speed up emergence?

I wouldn't be skimping on herbicide.

If you just go with one fungicide would they ripen a bit earlier? Would it hurt yield much as pods and beans all formed at that stage surely. I saw a crop alongside me last year and I guess he just went with one fungicide as they blackened off about 2 weeks before mine.

If you just go with one fungicide would they ripen a bit earlier? Would it hurt yield much as pods and beans all formed at that stage surely. I saw a crop alongside me last year and I guess he just went with one fungicide as they blackened off about 2 weeks before mine.
The elatus tends to keep it very green as a last fungicide I’d be avoiding that maybe this yr with d late sowing

I thought I was going to pull the pin on the beans but with talk of weather coming next week I might still chance them. Just wondering, as there is also a risk of a prolonged dry spell after all the rain that has fallen, pre emerge like nirvana might not be the best option, what is the best post emerge option? Land is in continuous cereal for 20 + years so weed pressure is not that high, there would be a good bit of AMG alright.

I thought I was going to pull the pin on the beans but with talk of weather coming next week I might still chance them. Just wondering, as there is also a risk of a prolonged dry spell after all the rain that has fallen, pre emerge like nirvana might not be the best option, what is the best post emerge option? Land is in continuous cereal for 20 + years so weed pressure is not that high, there would be a good bit of AMG alright.

Post emergence for beans is very poor. Its not going to be that warm so likely to be a heavy dews so spray early in the morning and it should be okay.

View attachment 136290
5 weeks to the day, about 150mm rain and hammering from wind and these beans are tipping along
Phew, when I saw someone had posted about spring beans I feared that it would be a pic of someone planting.

Spent the afternoon in the bed trying to sleep off a hangover and didn’t need the guilt.

Once I get started sowing it’ll be epic…..

Back