Spring oats

So I rolled that ground I found all the leather jackets in the day after it was sown in good conditions but it got lots of rain after a lot more than you’d want. Good news I cannot find a single leather jacket anymore. Bad news I think I made a mistake in rolling it. It wasn’t up yesterday at all but today I have emergence but looks patchy, now I did go digging and there is germinated seeds in the bare patches and they have shoots and roots so hopefully it’s just a few days behind but I don’t know I could be grubbing again 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ IMG_6192.jpegIMG_6191.jpeg

You've nothing to worry about. I thought the same last year on a field that wasn't really good enough to roll. After a couple of weeks it passed out a bit I hadn't rolled.

Killian drilled 30 acres of oats today and will finish them tomorrow hopefully. Have another 15 acres of barley to sow for combine then on hire and then into the wholecrop and reseeding. There is a few lads getting impatient now… no more than the baling when the weather is dry you have too much machinery but when it’s wet you couldn’t have enough IMG_6207.jpegIMG_6209.png

You’d surely have to put that into the chopping scheme. You’d never have a hope of making €100 an acre on oaten straw cut late September and it pure green, you’d have to turn it about 10 times.
It’s not my own it’s hire but he reckons he has every bit of his straw accounted for already. We will see in September, hope the weather is good

I’m going top depressing the oats in the morning, it got 3 bags of 10.10.20 when sown. Was thinking 2 bags of can + sulphur before the rain next week should be enough. Was grass last year.

I’m going top depressing the oats in the morning, it got 3 bags of 10.10.20 when sown. Was thinking 2 bags of can + sulphur before the rain next week should be enough. Was grass last year.
Was it always permanent grass before the oats? My biggest concern would be you will keel it over

The field will be fairly lush as it is then so. Maybe oats acts different to barley but you will have a residual of n in the ground as it is
Indeed, it was only sown two weeks ago, given the lateness and the slow release of n from the sod as it breaks down I want to be sure there’s enough available to the plant when it needs it. I’ll be giving it plenty growth regulator.

There are others be better able to answer the question as I haven't had oats in yrs. But what I remember if it was it was a nightmare to keep it standing. If it was me I'd give it 50u or there abouts you have 30u out. Maybe another bag of can??

Have lads got growth regulator out on oats sowed in the fine spell? Ours has come on well, a leaf or so short but with weather set to break wondering if it should get a holding spray?

Back