Spring oats

I’m not fully sure I think the main reason they are growing is the price of organic meal has frightened a lot of lads in the scheme and on top of that the shortage of straw. I don’t think much farm to farm trading will happen there must be an agreement with mills

Some ground, you just can’t stop it growing!
Same here, sprayed off in October, good kill then covered with slurry which coupled with the burnt off butt made it very hard to travel given any opportunity over the winter. No chance to spray off until this week when it was too late to make a difference to the cover.
Can’t post a picture but the way the vegetation has exploded out of the ground in the last 2 weeks is savage and has made it a proper pita to plough. Also softer than I’d like in places and on the crown of a brow in others, so no matter what way you slice it, it’s going to be difficult to turn down the sod down when ploughing up against the hill so I’ll be ploughing it all the one way. Luckily it’s only about 5 acres but will take a while.

The perfect storm!

Looking forward to getting back to sprayed off stubble on level ground later on today, childsplay!😜

Last edited:
Are there merchants or coops such as the likes of tirlan or dairygold or grain merchants such as Liffeys or grennans etc buying organic grains to mill and sell again or is it farm to farm trading?
Dodgy game selling farm to farm as from what I see in the organic game is a lot of but not all lads who are now organic were lads who were a disaster when they were conventional and are even worse now that they are gone organic and I’ve a relation in that category.
Oh don't worries if that midlands merchant can get enough of organic lads to grow it for f all for him and he can see enough ot a profit in buying it in and sell it back with a fancy bag and logo in his blue v8s he'll jump in and try his best stamp out the little lad doing a bit of farm to farm .Suddenly then you need a invoice off a registered mill not an ordinary farmer to get your payment it will be all nicely sown up .

I would say the opposite, anyone ploughing unsprayed ground must be confident they're doing a good job burying the trash!
Mmm ....i would agree it looks well without any green showing .
No harm honing the old ploughing skills now and again considering how reliant we have become on pre sowing burndown .

Isabel going into long long long term ley, 1954 the locals reckon it was ploughed last. I cannot get over the amount of leather jackets it’s very bad with them. Do they affect oats much ? Will rolling be essential IMG_6003.jpeg

Yeah rolling essential if that many of them there…..preferably at night time cos they come towards the surface at night.

Isabel going into long long long term ley, 1954 the locals reckon it was ploughed last. I cannot get over the amount of leather jackets it’s very bad with them. Do they affect oats much ? Will rolling be essential View attachment 136758
It’s likely that will eat everything. End of story. I’d say they’d eat a man if he lied down on the field for a night.

I know @Bogman had an interesting observation about their life cycle in beet once.

Back