tail and back clippers

dragging this thread back up

clipping cattle's back when housed

worth it or not?

i might do a experiment, run all mine over the scales and clip every other animal
in 3 weeks weigh the clipped and get a average dwg then weigh the hairy and see if any difference:huh:
So I clipped half a bunch and weighed them 3 weeks later
Any guesses as to the results?

There is too many variable`s with spot weighing cattle i think . For accuracy you`d need to be weighing them 4 or 5 times a day every day . There was a lad in the uk that was setup so the cattle had to stand on a weigh plate to drink water in the shed during the winter . Was recording weight`s every time they drank then super job i thought .

There is too many variable`s with spot weighing cattle i think . For accuracy you`d need to be weighing them 4 or 5 times a day every day . There was a lad in the uk that was setup so the cattle had to stand on a weigh plate to drink water in the shed during the winter . Was recording weight`s every time they drank then super job i thought .
same bunch same shed same food same outside eating area same time of day weighing them

It's going to be vague however you do it, the unclipped lads might have better thrive even if they were clipped iykwim. Clip the rest and see do the even up again.

It's going to be vague however you do it, the unclipped lads might have better thrive even if they were clipped iykwim. Clip the rest and see do the even up again.
thats why i just did every other 1 as they came down the race as to make it as even as i could
im not going to clip the rest and lose kgs

Weigh them again in a week`s time to see if there`s a difference . Your cattle are in an open yard to eat aren`t they .
thats why i just did every other 1 as they came down the race as to make it as even as i could

You mighn't loose kg's if the clipped are worse thrivers and distorting the result.

Wonder could it be that the clipped cattle are using more energy to keep warm as eating outside . Clip all the cattle housed here but all on slat`s in door`s . Used to weigh every few week`s but dont now . Didnt think it was accurate enough .
maybe see if i have time next week
cublcles to sit/sleep. yard outside to eat

Wonder could it be that the clipped cattle are using more energy to keep warm as eating outside . Clip all the cattle housed here but all on slat`s in door`s . Used to weigh every few week`s but dont now . Didnt think it was accurate enough .
must be something like that^

i feel a second test coming on
got about 6 or 8 here that need to go on loose housing (lying out, tender on feet etc)
think i'll clip half of them and house them on straw and see

i try to weigh mine every 3 weeks or so as i got a lot here near 700kgs and its easier to get them gone a bit lighter than let them go over 380dw

Has anyone got one of these or recommend a decent battery clippers?

Has anyone got one of these or recommend a decent battery clippers?

https://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/horner-rambo-mains.html

These are very good. Mark magee in donegal sells them, he's on Facebook as magee shearing. I have a set this 3 years and very happy with it.
I see yer man that does the sheep game on YouTube is after moving form the razor cordless to one of them horner shears and he thought its way ahead of the razor.

https://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/horner-rambo-mains.html

These are very good. Mark magee in donegal sells them, he's on Facebook as magee shearing. I have a set this 3 years and very happy with it.
I see yer man that does the sheep game on YouTube is after moving form the razor cordless to one of them horner shears and he thought its way ahead of the razor.
That one in the link is mains I think. I would love a rambo quickdraw but it is out of my budget. I must check out that video. I enjoy watching his videos. I bought the last clippers from Horner shearing but I'd say that the import costs are nearly prohibitive now with Brexit.

That one in the link is mains I think. I would love a rambo quickdraw but it is out of my budget. I must check out that video. I enjoy watching his videos. I bought the last clippers from Horner shearing but I'd say that the import costs are nearly prohibitive now with Brexit.
Sorry, wrong link surely. That is the mains one. I gave around 600 for it when I bought it, not sure of the price now. Magee is a agent for horner so he would be worth a call anyways. Might even have a second hand one. The sheep game is very good alright, he the best on YouTube and honest if he's getting a discount for doing a review.

Anyone recommend someone that would be competent at servicing a cattle clippers? Have a Clipster clippers here between 3 of us for the last 5 years. It clips about 200 head of cattle each year and needs a check over and some bits and pieces replaced in the head to leave it sound.

Back