Tanker repair

JOHNB_IE

All the chat in the machinery section of tankers brought back this repair to my mind.Its difficult to explain but basically the tank started to split where the end cap turns at its tightest point.I drilled holes 20 mm either side of the crack and the metal was good,but at the crack it was paper tin.
I put it down to a defect in the metal on the corner and the slurry just ate its way out through it over time.

The only solution that i could come up with,apart from a new end cap,was to weld in a band all the way round to go from the lip of the dome to where the metal was reasonably thick again ,enclosing the corner if you like.

I used the stick welder as it was all positional and the metal wouldn't have been the cleanest.

My brother was home at the time and was snap happy,im the egit doing the welding.
The job worked fine ,the tank is still working as far as i know.

I have never seen or heard of this to happen any other Abbey tanker.

View attachment 18114 View attachment 18115

View attachment 18116 View attachment 18117

View attachment 18118

Last edited:
rear end plate ready to fit about 800 sterling i think is what bro side ne done the same to a tanker last week, same size and make too.

SWP welder is it?

rear end plate ready to fit about 800 sterling i think is what bro side ne done the same to a tanker last week, same size and make too.

SWP welder is it?

That was back in 09 ,the customer didn't want to spend big money,it was a good age and i suppose the condition of the rest of it didn't justify it.

Well spotted a cheap swp ,which would you believe,is still going after thousands of rods.

had a swp, best welder i had but apparently when tied to ladder and trailed around meal bins and stuff by the lead it doesnt last, burnt out the contactor for the main power lead and couldnt find a replacement part, never once cut out, and it seen its hardship with us on sit and sh+t and dust, soaked regularly too.

Its seems common enough on that vintage tank so,it would give lads going to buy a second hand tanker something to think about and look out for.It would be hard to tell how good or bad they would be a that point to be fair.

SWP welder is it?
is that the price of an end cap??
its dear isnt it, id of thought 500 would be plenty for one.

supposed to be, ready to fit with all holes etc in it, not sure if it was priced from abbey or who. thought it dear myself, but then ready to weld on and paint might not be so bad

supposed to be, ready to fit with all holes etc in it, not sure if it was priced from abbey or who. thought it dear myself, but then ready to weld on and paint might not be so bad
maybe.
it wouldnt take too long to run a few holes in it if it could be bought cheaper.

maybe.
it wouldnt take too long to run a few holes in it if it could be bought cheaper.

where do the spun ends come from, know that i can get 5ft locally but never priced them-few of old stock in local engineering firm, but only 5ft and the smaller rear doors, no holes, sight glass, pipes plates, brackets etc spun end alone would be big enough money i would think

All the chat in the machinery section of tankers brought back this repair to my mind.Its difficult to explain but basically the tank started to split where the end cap turns at its tightest point.I drilled holes 20 mm either side of the crack and the metal was good,but at the crack it was paper tin.
I put it down to a defect in the metal on the corner and the slurry just ate its way out through it over time.

The only solution that i could come up with,apart from a new end cap,was to weld in a band all the way round to go from the lip of the dome to where the metal was reasonably thick again ,enclosing the corner if you like.

I used the stick welder as it was all positional and the metal wouldn't have been the cleanest.

My brother was home at the time and was snap happy,im the egit doing the welding.
The job worked fine ,the tank is still working as far as i know.

I have never seen or heard of this to happen any other Abbey tanker.

View attachment 18114 View attachment 18115

View attachment 18116 View attachment 18117

View attachment 18118
Looking at the forum this evening for slurry tanker welding - can confirm I had to weld a neighbours Abbey Slurry tanker 3 days ago cause of same problem -using a metal thickness hand held device got off ebay cheap - found thickness of metal as low as 2.7 mm up to 4.3 mm (Abbey claim 6 mm thickness) Solution = Give Abbey Slurry tankers a wide bearth ! checked another neighbours RedRock tanker = all measurments over 6 mm . good tanker !

Back