The grazing season

IMG_20240417_201527.jpg

And we're off!

Dearest cattle I've ever bought. Hopefully there's something out of them at the other end.

Good to be back at it, but in hindsight it was good 6 months not to be out-wintering.

Chanced the cows out tonight, will see how it goes.

I was going to let them back out , but there's a wind would skin a flea here .

I let out 2 old sucklers and their 2 calves in a garden next the yard yesterday . There's a grand bit on it , but they bawl at the gate to be let in at night .

Dairy. That was my view too, thanks.

He reduced numbers end of last year to improve grazing quality and reduce other inputs this year by not having to let covers out further to carry numbers. If he doesn't take out bales soonish that plan won't be possible imo especially with less animals to get through it. I'll try convince him.

Hook on the mower whatever dry day in early mid may and start mowing away. Asking for forgiveness is easy than permission sometimes 😅

Im only stirring, but id be suprised if the rain doesnt dissapear off charts before next weekend .

The sun has improved the mood with lads anyway hopefully it sticks around
True the 22mm that was showing for next Saturday here is now 10

Considering current weather conditions are causing poor growth rates, is the idea of baling heavy covers early in the year a bad idea? We strip grazed a field or two as a means to stretch the rotation as grass was getting tight. It seems a high cost system. I'm just talking about this time of year, no issue with it later in the year.

Cows are in tonight with the wet. :no:

Considering current weather conditions are causing poor growth rates, is the idea of baling heavy covers early in the year a bad idea? We strip grazed a field or two as a means to stretch the rotation as grass was getting tight. It seems a high cost system. I'm just talking about this time of year, no issue with it later in the year.

Cows are in tonight with the wet. :no:
Have 5 acres mowed here tonight, drove into it to stick up a wire and said nope! Way to strong for cows, grass is slowly coming here, it could get ahead very quick now if the heat stays.

Back