The older masseys

Hey all, I have what I think is a wiring fault on my Duncan Cab indicator lights.
The green dash pilot light is on constantly even when the on off on toggle switch is in the off position.
At first the right indicator light would work with dash light flashing too but the left indicator wouldn't work so I replaced the bulb in the left indicator.
I switched on the left indicator light and heard a pop which I think killed the 3 pin flasher unit as now neither the left or right indicator work and still the dash pilot light is on constantly even when the switch is in the off position!
The cab bezel also has a windscreen wiper switch and switch to turn on a socket for a flasher warning light which are all working perfectly.
The switch for the indicators is a lucas on off on toggle switch and the flasher unit is a 3 pin unit for duncan cabs.
Any help as to what could be the problem or problems would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hey all, I have what I think is a wiring fault on my Duncan Cab indicator lights.
The green dash pilot light is on constantly even when the on off on toggle switch is in the off position.
At first the right indicator light would work with dash light flashing too but the left indicator wouldn't work so I replaced the bulb in the left indicator.
I switched on the left indicator light and heard a pop which I think killed the 3 pin flasher unit as now neither the left or right indicator work and still the dash pilot light is on constantly even when the switch is in the off position!
The cab bezel also has a windscreen wiper switch and switch to turn on a socket for a flasher warning light which are all working perfectly.
The switch for the indicators is a lucas on off on toggle switch and the flasher unit is a 3 pin unit for duncan cabs.
Any help as to what could be the problem or problems would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Have you opened the bezel? Have you traced the wiring from the indicators back to the bezel? You’ll be looking for evidence of wear on the cable jacket and it touching metal. Check the bulb in the flasher.

Have you opened the bezel? Have you traced the wiring from the indicators back to the bezel? You’ll be looking for evidence of wear on the cable jacket and it touching metal. Check the bulb in the flasher.
I opened the bezel and had a look to see where everything was grounded as I thought this might be the issue. I plan to have a more thorough inspection to check over all connections and wires.
Would a faulty bulb in the dash pilot light cause the left indicator to fail or both indicators to fail? My hunch is a grounding issue somewhere but I am a novice when it comes to electrics!!!

Last edited:
I opened the bezel and had a look to see where everything was grounded as I thought this might be the issue. I plan to have a more thorough inspection to check over all connections and wires.
Would a faulty bulb in the dash pilot light cause the left indicator to fail or both indicators to fail? My hunch is a grounding issue somewhere but I am a novice when it comes to electrics!!!

Could do. Worst case change the bulb. If nothing happens then its a wiring issue.

The light in the middle is grounded through the indicators I think you could bypass it to see do indicators work

Folks not sure if this topic has been covered elsewhere. Steering on the 135 seems to be getting heavier/stiffer to turn. Any suggestions on where one might start looking for problem/solutions?

Thrust bearings bear the biggest load. Jack up the front end by the chassis and grease everything while turning the steering wheel.
Thank you. That might explain it. Rebushed the stubs and put in new bearings 12 months ago.

Thank you. That might explain it. Rebushed the stubs and put in new bearings 12 months ago.

Did you ream the bushings out , after putting in the new ones ? Or was the stub axle shank worn to " Farmer Spec "? Might be a very tight fit ?

Had to ream them to get stubs back in. Steering does move more freely when off the ground. Going to grease them jacked up and see where we go.

How many hours of an interval do you grease it? Waste of time greasing kingpins if not jacked up.
Had to ream them to get stubs back in. Steering does move more freely when off the ground. Going to grease them jacked up and see where we go.

So jacked up the tractor earlier in the week to go greasing. Noticed that the cap on one of the bearngs lifted off the bearing when it lifted up. Changed the bearings yesterday and greased all up. Some difference. Cap was badly corroded when we took it out.

Well lads the 4wd is stuck on a 398 I'm doing a few jobs on, I've no power coming to the solenoid. I've traced the wire to under the cab and I've found a 3 pin connector with power coming to the 3rd pin. The short piece of cable shown in the photos below has only got 2 pins, I'm wondering if this is the wrong cable for the 4wd solenoid?
IMG_20240327_074005.jpgIMG_20240327_074014.jpg

Back