The reseeding thread

You wouldn’t buy clover seed for that around here anyway
I bought aberace clover seed before Christmas @ €7.20/kg. I was asking here at the time if it would be safe to buy and store it. It wasn't delivered until mid january but came at that price. I made a plan for this year back last september and thankfully i bought all the seed i need in december. Aberace has gone to €12.30 since the mss scheme was announced but there's still some types of clover seed available at under €10/kg.

A bag of Tipperary clover plus is €110 4kg of clover and 10kg of grass in each bag. Lad selling it said they added the price of the grant immediately after it was announced

A bag of Tipperary clover plus is €110 4kg of clover and 10kg of grass in each bag. Lad selling it said they added the price of the grant immediately after it was announced
the more grant you got the higher the price the less you get

I sowed a 3 acre field that's normally grazed by the milkers here , last Friday . Got a lovely drop of rain within a few hours after rolling it off . Glanbia multi species seed , and I'm fairly sure that it was €92 a bag . He told me that it was 20 a bag dearer than "normal grass " . Haven't sowed any before . Just thought that I'd try it on the small bit . Last reseeded in 1987 , and should have been done years ago , but I had an idea that it was littered with stones . There was a handy front bucket full on it . Previous time, a deep gravel bottomed drain on one edge had Been cleaned and spread beside it ...
Got contractor to plough it , rolled it , 2 runs of a leveller , pick stones, sowed with Vicon spreader , and roll again . It got lime 3 years ago , and tested @ 6.4 2 months ago .
There is only 1 barrow in local Glanbia branch now , and it had been lent out that day for the 2nd time in 2022 , to a lad 10 miles away , to sow 16 acres . " No one uses the barrow now , all get contractor to sow it " , I was told .

As usual, a grant is mostly swallowed by farm suppliers.
It was €8.20 per kg up to when they announced the mss scheme. Then they put 50% on it to bring it to the €12.30 that it is now.
I was talking to the sales rep several weeks before the MSS scheme was announced and she told me that the €1 price increase was all that would be until mid year because they had a lot of seed in stock.

I sowed a 3 acre field that's normally grazed by the milkers here , last Friday . Got a lovely drop of rain within a few hours after rolling it off . Glanbia multi species seed , and I'm fairly sure that it was €92 a bag . He told me that it was 20 a bag dearer than "normal grass " . Haven't sowed any before . Just thought that I'd try it on the small bit . Last reseeded in 1987 , and should have been done years ago , but I had an idea that it was littered with stones . There was a handy front bucket full on it . Previous time, a deep gravel bottomed drain on one edge had Been cleaned and spread beside it ...
Got contractor to plough it , rolled it , 2 runs of a leveller , pick stones, sowed with Vicon spreader , and roll again . It got lime 3 years ago , and tested @ 6.4 2 months ago .
There is only 1 barrow in local Glanbia branch now , and it had been lent out that day for the 2nd time in 2022 , to a lad 10 miles away , to sow 16 acres . " No one uses the barrow now , all get contractor to sow it " , I was told .
You could always get a contractor with a barrow.....

Do you lads cross cross like a patchwork quilt or just sow up and down?

I've a bit to do here too in the next few months but a long term project.

IMG_20220510_210142.jpg
IMG_20220510_210606.jpg
IMG_20220510_210132.jpg
IMG_20220510_210221.jpg
IMG_20220510_210247.jpg

My clover experiment. Sowed last Wednesday. Pity was that the rain came and I couldn't get across it with the ring roller. Anywhere that the chain harrow exposed soil is coming nicely.

Next plan is to find a better way to expose more soil for overseeing as the chain harrow isn't the most ideal.

View attachment 106833View attachment 106834View attachment 106835View attachment 106836View attachment 106837

My clover experiment. Sowed last Wednesday. Pity was that the rain came and I couldn't get across it with the ring roller. Anywhere that the chain harrow exposed soil is coming nicely.

Next plan is to find a better way to expose more soil for overseeing as the chain harrow isn't the most ideal.
Just in my reseed today aswell coming along nicely seeing the clover popping up too. Thought by chat the clover wouldn’t come up for a good while?

View attachment 106833View attachment 106834View attachment 106835View attachment 106836View attachment 106837

Do you think something like this would be better or have you got something else in mind

images

Yes, some type of tine harrow but I have a budget that won't stretch to a new one. Exploring options at the moment.
I have a Kockerling tine harrow that hasn't been used in about 5 years that might suit you! Mainly used for an equine arena when it came here but not used at all anymore.

I have a Kockerling tine harrow that hasn't been used in about 5 years that might suit you! Mainly used for an equine arena when it came here but not used at all anymore.
I have another option in the pipeline but if it doesn't work out in the next week I'll come back to you!

Do many lads spread dung on ground after spraying it off before reseeding.
Is spreading slurry on it before reseeding a waste of time or is it better to spread it a few weeks after reseeding?

Do many lads spread dung on ground after spraying it off before reseeding.
Is spreading slurry on it before reseeding a waste of time or is it better to spread it a few weeks after reseeding?
Spread dung on mine here be good for p&k was advised on here aswell as grass seed man to sow circa 2-3 bags fert/acre think it was something with high K?🤔 not to sure about the slurry I didn’t go on mine with slurry think there is something about slurry reducing clover quantity but maybe that is high volumes.

Spread dung on mine here be good for p&k was advised on here aswell as grass seed man to sow circa 2-3 bags fert/acre think it was something with high K?🤔 not to sure about the slurry I didn’t go on mine with slurry think there is something about slurry reducing clover quantity but maybe that is high volumes.
We’d normally put out 2-3 bags of 10:10:20 ahead of any reseed, normally aim for the full 3 but it sometimes get reduced a bit to get acreage to match to a big bag, so say if it was 8 acres we’d just go with 1 ton rather than looking for 4 small bags aswell. Unless we’ve somewhere else handy that could do with a bit And get 1.5ton

Back