Waterproof clothing

Applesquasher

Do you wear it or just get wet?
Personally I hate being wet at work and always wear waterproofs if it is raining. I have a good Gortex coat and usually wear army surplus Gortex leggings. Used to get some blue neoprene waterproof trousers that were sold as "Parlour pants". They were excellent waterproofs but not very hardwearing, very lightweight. Can't seem to find any anywere nowadays. :(
The Romanians all have waterproof coats but no leggings. Today it was absolutely pouring down while we were getting cabbage, proper thunder storm rain. When we finished one of the Romanians took off his wellies and i swear he tipped a mugfull of water out of each one.
His mates have now christened him "Fish man" :lol:

We had 8mm of rain today, 6mm of it fell in an hour. A couple of miles away got an awful lot more yet one of our farms not 5 miles away didn't get any.

Do you wear it or just get wet?
Personally I hate being wet at work and always wear waterproofs if it is raining. I have a good Gortex coat and usually wear army surplus Gortex leggings. Used to get some blue neoprene waterproof trousers that were sold as "Parlour pants". They were excellent waterproofs but not very hardwearing, very lightweight. Can't seem to find any anywere nowadays. :(
The Romanians all have waterproof coats but no leggings. Today it was absolutely pouring down while we were getting cabbage, proper thunder storm rain. When we finished one of the Romanians took off his wellies and i swear he tipped a mugfull of water out of each one.
His mates have now christened him "Fish man" :lol:

We had 8mm of rain today, 6mm of it fell in an hour. A couple of miles away got an awful lot more yet one of our farms not 5 miles away didn't get any.

You just made me look, as I had forgotten how good my old neoprene parlour stuff was, I got mine through last vet I worked for but Farmrite still do them, and I think, they are the same make too, lasted years(I like that) I am a tight sod.
I like the Parlor tops for summer waterproofs too:thumbup1:

Here you go ,http://www.farmrite.co.uk/category/75/Parlour-Wear get some bought gonna put my order in tomorrow

waxed jackets dont seem to last more than a year the plastic ones rip for a passtime so I end up wearing a padded shirt till it starts to leak through then take it off and get wet. A bigger problem is climbing into a tractor in wet clothes as the windows steam up when you put the heater on or you freeze with the aircon.

waxed jackets dont seem to last more than a year the plastic ones rip for a passtime so I end up wearing a padded shirt till it starts to leak through then take it off and get wet. A bigger problem is climbing into a tractor in wet clothes as the windows steam up when you put the heater on or you freeze with the aircon.

And if working with stock wax jackets stink:thumbdown: I tend to stick to various thickness of fleece, but a parlour top over them is great:thumbup1:
Dont make you sweat, and they dry out in minutes, and the leggings just hose em down if mucky, great for lambing.

personally i try to stay out of the rain as much as possible.
i dont mind getin wet but its not good for ya in the long run.
i know in apples case its unavoidable.

i just use the flexothane ones if needs be, they will take a bit of abuse but not much.
i also hate the sight of wellies, only if really needs be will i wear them.

Absolutely God damned bloody brilliant!! I have been searching for those for years. :thumbup::thumbup:
Order going in right away. It will p*** the others off at work when I won't tell them where i got them from. :laugh:

You just made me look, as I had forgotten how good my old neoprene parlour stuff was, I got mine through last vet I worked for but Farmrite still do them, and I think, they are the same make too, lasted years(I like that) I am a tight sod.
I like the Parlor tops for summer waterproofs too:thumbup1:

Here you go ,http://www.farmrite.co.uk/category/75/Parlour-Wear get some bought gonna put my order in tomorrow

iirc the flexothane ones found below are a lot better, its the ones i use.
the neoprene ones tear easy dont they?
http://www.bestinthecountry.co.uk/Flexothane_Trousers_5337.aspx

They do tear easy if you are not careful and the knees soon leak if you kneel down a lot (strawberry picking) but I would sooner have one pair of them than 10 of the flexothane ones. Just my opinion, might not suit everyone.

For kneeling down jobs the ex military Gortex trousers are unbeatable.

They do tear easy if you are not careful and the knees soon leak if you kneel down a lot (strawberry picking) but I would sooner have one pair of them than 10 of the flexothane ones. Just my opinion, might not suit everyone.

For kneeling down jobs the ex military Gortex trousers are unbeatable.

I find flexothane trousers and jackets utter crap

rite, its not looking good for me trousers then so:lol:.

i have x army ones too, as apples says, they are blody good, if not a tad awkward.
they have braces n all.
but one thing is for sure, they let in no water.

Flexothane stuff I find not too bad, its light and you dont sweat in it too much when doing physical stuff, but I agree it does tear easy. I have other suits that are heavier depending on what I'm doing, or how heavy the weather is. There is nothing worse than being damp and cold :sad:

Monsoon bib n braces are good, if you can get em, coz they are lined. Not good if you sweat a lot or its warm, tho as they don't breath much. Proper strap-on old fashioned leggings are better unless your doing something where your backside gets wet, like riding about on the quad.

Monsoon bib n braces are good, if you can get em, coz they are lined. Not good if you sweat a lot or its warm, tho as they don't breath much. Proper strap-on old fashioned leggings are better unless your doing something where your backside gets wet, like riding about on the quad.

Yep had some of the full chap style leggings years ago, they were brilliant, with big chunky press studs, dont seem to see that style now though.

Yep had some of the full chap style leggings years ago, they were brilliant, with big chunky press studs, dont seem to see that style now though.

The more olde-worlde type farm supplies shops are more likely places to get em, round here anyway. The old man wore em a lot but we didnt have a quad bike so he got away with that one. I used to have a longish coat so it wasn't over bad but all the coats nowadays are short. Not too keen on this trendy waterproof stuff like flexothane anyway looks like towny dog-walking gear

I don't care what I look like as long as I stay dry and can actually move. Some of the hillwalking coats are damned good and remarkably cheap for what they do.
My new parlour pants arrived today, I was going to model them for you but luckily for you my camera batteries are flat. :lol:

2 schools of thought i find with waterproofs..
1. wheni'm at work (in the army) in the field on ops i will only put me waterproofs on if i'm in a static location for a while, as they are a, too noisy and be make you sweat like 20 men (even gortex) for moochin oround camp bog standard G tex dpm jacket its the dogs.
2. when i'm home on the farm i wear some g/tex dpm bib n brace trouser things, got em in the falklands working with waste fuels n lubes, theyhave so far resited everything , shit, diesel, silage effluent etc when they get too humming they go in the washer (cold wash no dobbie dust ) air dry still refusae to leak the above bn b jobs are ex mob ones, they have a gert pocket on the side for string n knife etc and most importantl as its an external pocket it has drain holes in the bottom to let out water... they also have zipps at the bottom to over your wellies,
for a coat i usually dont bother unless its humping i find a "lumberjacks shirt" (check/loud with rip in one shoulder an fluff hangin out) is the way ahead, and a mountain hardwear body warmer, its made of windtopper stuff and if you wash it in webtex (or there are other waterproofing liquids :laugh:) will keep the worst off
if i get wet wearing that i go in doors and have a wet:thumbup1::thumbup1:

i always found the Flexothane stuff good, generally only ever buy trousers for sheep work,

goretex seems very expnesive. i have 2 pairs of Ford WRC trousers which are good for winter.

is there any such thing as good quality breathable waterproofs?

i always found the Flexothane stuff good, generally only ever buy trousers for sheep work,

goretex seems very expnesive. i have 2 pairs of Ford WRC trousers which are good for winter.

is there any such thing as good quality breathable waterproofs?

Yep, usually involve Gortex, but they have come down a lot in price now. Last coat i bought was from Cheshire Oaks outlet village and cost about £30. I was amazed at how cheap it was and how good it is. Totally waterproof and breathable fabric. I would rate it as a £175+ coat 2-3 years ago.

I love those cheap leggings which become sweaty, then stick to you, then work their way down your legs, pulling the crotch lower until they split.
Brilliant. :001_rolleyes:

Back