What are you up to in the workshop?

I’d be checking for surplus copper washers under the injectors, thermostart may be leaking, the fact that the pump has been recon’d three times says that it wasn’t done properly twice.
Well it was sent of 3 times under that assumption but your man always came back with the same answer. That pump is perfect, be good enough too does trucks and diggers mainly. It's deffenitely diesel coming out. Shoots out the dipstick he says.

Oh on the subject some one might be able to answer this. Know a lad 1135 thats diesel is mixing with the oil, your man says it would let a gallon of diesel into the sump after 500 meters of driving. Has had the injector pump reconditioned 3 times along with the injectors, has a new lift pump on and no difference. Any ideas what could be causing it.
I doubt a lift pump would even pump a gallon of diesel in the time it would take to travel 500 metres, even at 20km/h that would take 90 seconds, If everything went through the lift pump that would be about 40 gals an hour plus what the engine used.

I doubt a lift pump would even pump a gallon of diesel in the time it would take to travel 500 metres, even at 20km/h that would take 90 seconds, If everything went through the lift pump that would be about 40 gals an hour plus what the engine used.
The lift pump would pump a decent bit as it returns most of the fuel back to the tank. Maybe a litre or two a minute at a guess.

Well it was sent of 3 times under that assumption but your man always came back with the same answer. That pump is perfect, be good enough too does trucks and diggers mainly. It's deffenitely diesel coming out. Shoots out the dipstick he says.
A sign of incorrect washer number or injector depth is if the engine is idling for a few minutes and then you rev it up the engine it sounds rattley or tinny and smoky. A faulty thermostart has the same symptoms. Injector or lift pump seal or diaphragm failure rarely causes unusual engine sounds or smoke. There really isn’t any other place for diesel to enter the engine on this one, both pumps, the injectors and the thermostart. The air filter and engine and tank breathers must be clear also as these can cause vacuum and pressure in their own ways.

Have no clue what it is. Have to go over next Saturday and have a look. Was to go over today but was stuck at the 240 trying to wire up led indicators. Never heard tell oil and diesel mixing to the extremes that this fella is describing, only through the diaphrams of lift pumps or the injectors. Will be sure to get pictures on the day. Hopefully will be able to get a better idea of the engine. Will post them up to the experts opinion on the matter.

Has your mechanic tested the engine compression before going to the bother of taking it out?
After waiting almost 4 weeks next Monday to get injectors and diesel pump done on Perkins ak 1004.4t in the manitou.excuse from them was they were waiting on nozzles.
But now to really twist the knife deeper it appears now the engine has to be overhauled now.
Any ideas what sort of money that may be

A sign of incorrect washer number or injector depth is if the engine is idling for a few minutes and then you rev it up the engine it sounds rattley or tinny and smoky. A faulty thermostart has the same symptoms. Injector or lift pump seal or diaphragm failure rarely causes unusual engine sounds or smoke. There really isn’t any other place for diesel to enter the engine on this one, both pumps, the injectors and the thermostart. The air filter and engine and tank breathers must be clear also as these can cause vacuum and pressure in their own ways.
The engine is running as sweet as a nut. So long as you don't look at the dipstick you wouldn't think anything is wrong so I hear. It's meant to be Shockin smokey. Just lack of knowledge on my side, how would diesel get into the sump via the thermostat, that could be it, was never told of anything being done to it. Thanks for the advice. I couldn't think of anywhere else where the diesel could get in. Will go over the areas you mentioned when I go to have a look next week. Hopefully it's the thermostat or the lift pump or one of the other simple options. Not too keen on doing an engine rebuild on such an engine.

The engine is running as sweet as a nut. So long as you don't look at the dipstick you wouldn't think anything is wrong so I hear. It's meant to be Shockin smokey. Just lack of knowledge on my side, how would diesel get into the sump via the thermostat, that could be it, was never told of anything being done to it. Thanks for the advice. I couldn't think of anywhere else where the diesel could get in. Will go over the areas you mentioned when I go to have a look next week. Hopefully it's the thermostat or the lift pump or one of the other simple options. Not too keen on doing an engine rebuild on such an engine.
Thermostart is the heater element in the intake manifold, it has a fuel supply from the injector leak off pipe. When the element is powered to heat, a bi-metallic valve inside opens up and allows fuel through to burn on the hot element. If this valve sticks open fuel will be pumped into the inlet manifold and pour into the cylinder through the valves in quantities greater than what can be burnt, it will then run down past the piston rings into the sump washing the lubricating oil off the liners causing the sump level to rise. Would take a good while for a lot of diesel to get through this way though. My money is on the injector pump end seal fitted backwards or a faulty replacement lift pump.

Thermostart is the heater element in the intake manifold, it has a fuel supply from the injector leak off pipe. When the element is powered to heat, a bi-metallic valve inside opens up and allows fuel through to burn on the hot element. If this valve sticks open fuel will be pumped into the inlet manifold and pour into the cylinder through the valves in quantities greater than what can be burnt, it will then run down past the piston rings into the sump washing the lubricating oil off the liners causing the sump level to rise. Would take a good while for a lot of diesel to get through this way though. My money is on the injector pump end seal fitted backwards or a faulty replacement lift pump.
Usually if that malfunctions it will feed itself with diesel and the parish with smoke and the engine might go for a run.

He said he someone told him once it looks like the injector pump off a scania is off it. Not a great start. Hopefully it's not. It's an awful hard one to guess because it's just not a common yolk. Will have to see next week. May bring a battery and fire it up and see what he means.:detective:

Is there a worse fate known to man. Changing the pads on an old digger. From trying to split a link or cutting bolts to get the old pads off. Don't know which is worse, trying to get them all off or putting them a back on.🙈

To be honest I don't mind doing them , made a tool for splitting the tracks, I never took a proper picture of it in operation, remove 1 or 2 pads, place the channel under the chain, the groves are to stop the chain link from spreading when pushibg. use a HYD cylinder and a rod to push the pin out, I just use the hollow core as it is a good all rounder for lots of other jobs, the fist time they need a lot of heat. Not so much there after. Pad bolts gas is the best and quickest, I don't even bother anymore trying to put a nut gun on them to see if they will tighten.
Screenshot_20210328-075437.jpgIMG_20200515_191443.jpgIMG_20200512_192231.jpg

He said he someone told him once it looks like the injector pump off a scania is off it. Not a great start. Hopefully it's not. It's an awful hard one to guess because it's just not a common yolk. Will have to see next week. May bring a battery and fire it up and see what he means.:detective:
Could it be the leak off line from the injectors runs through the head on that engine?

Surely whoever done the injector pump would run it up on a test rig so any leak would be obvious?

Could it be the leak off line from the injectors runs through the head on that engine?

Surely whoever done the injector pump would run it up on a test rig so any leak would be obvious?
He was meant to have given it the works. That could be it too. Another thing to ad to the list to check. Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

@Endah would you mind putting up a couple of photos of the workbench? Looking for some inspiration here
There's a few photos in this thread

Anyone know what the purpose of these sections are on the volvo loader? They seem to be filled with fibreglass and are in front of radiator. However they are disintegrating and the fibreglass is being sucked into radiator.

Attachments

• 3292EAD2-7F83-44E9-8E39-2313A22F6A5E.jpeg
    3292EAD2-7F83-44E9-8E39-2313A22F6A5E.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 77
Anyone know what the purpose of these sections are on the volvo loader? They seem to be filled with fibreglass and are in front of radiator. However they are disintegrating and the fibreglass is being sucked into radiator.
Someone just put steel bars into the l50b here

Had bottle jack on it was pressing the frame apart hammered opposite side of pin to shock it.
Did you take out the whole ram? Did you have much trouble with the cyclinder end?
I never took the rams off the main frame,took the pins out of the top of the lift rams,re-sealed them in situ.
Had a thermo start fail on a 6.354 it was like the excess fuel button sticking in,was the best it ever started 🤣
Cav pump,I doubt it would be off a scania.

I never took the rams off the main frame,took the pins out of the top of the lift rams,re-sealed them in situ.

Had a thermo start fail on a 6.354 it was like the excess fuel button sticking in,was the best it ever started 🤣

Cav pump,I doubt it would be off a scania.
That's what I tried telling him. The more I ask about it the more confused I get. I think looking at it in person is going to be the only way to determine the problem.

Back