What short term grass seed to sow

Sull

Just looking for some ideas here,

Have a neighbour with an old large garden approx. 4 acres bordering our place. He left a relative drop in 8 dry cows for the winter feeding them silage and meal so it was well cut up considering the weather we had, but has dried well as it is free draining ground.
He approached me today and offered me the use of this garden for free on the basis that I sow it back to grass to graze. I reckon it'll be torn up next winter again so only use of it for the season.
Question is what is best to sow as I don't want to spend too much, have machinery to do it all myself, its not suitable to cut, just graze and is easy to access with stock from my side.

TIA

I take your point but considering how its so accessible from my grazing block and the fact that every acre will be wanted this year to replenish winter stocks it's hard to look past!
I'm guessing that P & K levels of ground won't be too bad as stock have only ever been wintered here and heavily mealed ( never anything cut off it) so I am thinking a run of the one pass and simple post emergence spray. What I'm really wondering is would a hybrid grass mix be a runner considering I'll only graze it?? Work it hard with the cows, few bags of N, late grazing with the weanlings and walk away!!!!

Thanks again...

If you want cheap grass then Italians and establish as cheap as possible and keep the bagged p and k for your own ground. Just spread N on it

Put in a 50 50 mix with a hybred and good tetraploid variety. Give it a rub of a chain harrow or something similar spread seed with wag tail roll and maybe a bag or two of 10 10 20. How close is it to the palour it could be ready to graze after 25 days

Westerworld....would it be faster than Italian to grow? Any sense in laying a field out in it for 12 months and ploughing again next spring?? Or more importantly any money in it!?!

Westerworld....would it be faster than Italian to grow? Any sense in laying a field out in it for 12 months and ploughing again next spring?? Or more importantly any money in it!?!
Yes westerwolds for a 1 year job. Sow it ASAP, cut 10 weeks after that and then 7 and 7 (roughly). Decent bulk but once it heads out you must cut within a week. I like you idea and have discussed it with a few lately.

Back