Winter grazing cattle

rodders

How much grass is good to leave on silage fields over winter? I’ve got some calves that I could leave out another few weeks if I was to graze the silage fields.

Are you better to leave some grass or get it ate tight? Thanks.

How much grass is good to leave on silage fields over winter? I’ve got some calves that I could leave out another few weeks if I was to graze the silage fields.

Are you better to leave some grass or get it ate tight? Thanks.
A lot depends on how soon you're able or willing to let them out in the spring. Grass in spring is worth twice what grass now is worth. If you're able to let animals off early in spring then it's worthwhile in keeping some grass there for them but if you're only able to get out in March/April then you're better off getting it eaten down now and having a fresh sward for grazing in spring.

Grass now is getting lower in dry matter so the calves will be using energy to heat up the grass and water before passing it out again so they'll need a good bit of supplements if you're keeping them out.

A lot depends on how soon you're able or willing to let them out in the spring. Grass in spring is worth twice what grass now is worth. If you're able to let animals off early in spring then it's worthwhile in keeping some grass there for them but if you're only able to get out in March/April then you're better off getting it eaten down now and having a fresh sward for grazing in spring.

Grass now is getting lower in dry matter so the calves will be using energy to heat up the grass and water before passing it out again so they'll need a good bit of supplements if you're keeping them out.
It would be very rare for cattle to be let out here before the middle of April, but I know what your saying about spring grass being worth more.

Back