Mower choice

It's not a fingerbar mower though. Like comparing a drum mower to a topper. Cuts against a knife not a finger, there are actually no fingers on it at all.
Maybe stones are an issue, but the land I cut at home doesn't have stones.

I know the crops you mean and I haven't seen it cutting in that type of crop yet. Still if be interested to see what it could do before I'd rule it out. Can definitely cut in some conditions that would be impossible for a disc mower lol

do you reckon it would be a runner in your light crops?

The aul lad here would have your head examined for suggesting a finger bar, it used take him 3 days with a 35 to cut one particular field that a disc or drum mower would have done in a few hours, constantly getting down to clean the fingers was the biggest pain.

The aul lad here would have your head examined for suggesting a finger bar, it used take him 3 days with a 35 to cut one particular field that a disc or drum mower would have done in a few hours, constantly getting down to clean the fingers was the biggest pain.
There are no fingers on it

Those who suggest a fingerbar aren't old enough to have used them before
Its a re designed system. Both set of blades reciprocate and as @jcb411abuser says... no fingers!

Ive been told the horror stories of walking behind a finger bar with a rake in heavy crops. And not a gear low enough on the tractor!

These double knife mowers arnt new a firm called Aktif made them 40 odd years ago, great at the time but were left in the barn when the drum/discs came on the scene.

These double knife mowers arnt new a firm called Aktif made them 40 odd years ago, great at the time but were left in the barn when the drum/discs came on the scene.
You sure it wasn't just one knife but moved the fingers? You get old ones of those from decades ago. You also get a lot of people calling mowers with 2 drives to 2 half width knives calling those machines double knife bar mowers.

You sure it wasn't just one knife but moved the fingers? You get old ones of those from decades ago. You also get a lot of people calling mowers with 2 drives to 2 half width knives calling those machines double knife bar mowers.
let us know how you get on with it:wink:

Been thinking about this. To mow the acreage you're talking about and ted and row and to fit it in with the weather patterns now I can't see you doing it yourself with one mower and one tractor. You could keep your tractor for the raking or tedding and get a bigger tractor and put front and rear mowers on. Easy for me to spend someone else's money though :santa2:

Something like what this guy has for sale, a well shod 6490 it looks clean, the kv and he'll prob give you the front mower for luck. :whistle:

https://www.donedeal.ie/mowers-for-sale/kverneland-taarup-4332-lt-mower/17578752

Sent from my iPhone

@Reggie. it sounds like you are not wanting to take on all of this guys mowing work and just a portion of it. What mower is this man currently using and how many of them are existing customers to you. Would it not be better to team up with another one man band allowing you to focus on the tedding and raking operation and he can drop the grass.

@Reggie. it sounds like you are not wanting to take on all of this guys mowing work and just a portion of it. What mower is this man currently using and how many of them are existing customers to you. Would it not be better to team up with another one man band allowing you to focus on the tedding and raking operation and he can drop the grass.
He has another man that he can use with a trailed but he let him down before. I was thinking of suggesting to him that the other man do the main mowing and I'll do backup for him or mow for whoever needs to be tedded out.

My own custumors that I ted out for will probably look for me to mow if I get one as they mentioned this to me before. A one stop shop so to speak before the baler man

He has another man that he can use with a trailed but he let him down before. I was thinking of suggesting to him that the other man do the main mowing and I'll do backup for him or mow for whoever needs to be tedded out.

My own custumors that I ted out for will probably look for me to mow if I get one as they mentioned this to me before. A one stop shop so to speak before the baler man

You will end cutting the acre gardens and 3 acre plots up overgrown lanes.

You said early in the thread , that you didn't want to be working to make repayments. I cououldnt see it being any other way.
As you are working off farm , in a middling year it will not be possible to time time off to fit in the work. Then , the man who is available will get the work , and you will still have the repayments. How much an acre would you hope to have for repayments/profit after costs ? How many acres could you realistically fit in , as well as the raking , tedding and the day job ?

If you want to make money mowing grass , buy a decent ride on and cut lawns. You will have as much at the end of the day for small outlay.

I will get my coat now. And my tin hat.

I wouldnt just shoot the man down like that, he's building his business, and it seems in a steady sensible manner.

I am not shooting Reggie down. The best of luck to him. He has bought a brand new tractor and rake. Big money for the return he can expect. He is working off farm , so that has to be his 1st priority.
"This time next year we will be millionaires , Rodney. " and , How do you make s small fortune from farming . Start with a large fortune , both spring to mind.
Let him buy a millions worth of machinery if he wants. And I hope he makes 3 million from it.

The point @jf 850 makes is a good one if a bit blunt in the telling.
If we all had limitless time we could do lots of work and make plenty of money (maybe)
It's easier to spend money on machinery than make a return from it.
@Reggie. Has a complex question facing him and he is getting complex answers here.
There are so many variables particularly his full time job that there cannot be a simple answer.

Back