Mower choice

There's lads all over that know of every make that are breaking up/not good enough never even seen a kv to comment on them but of everything else I have seen nothing matches the lely
We ran a lely against a fella last year and the fella put the grass out cleaner than the lely. Only saying from my experience. Not a fan of the hooked tine myself.

The man that had the lely changed to a krone for next year actually.

My neighbour who used make all second cut in bales reckons pit silage is better for milking cow because with precision chop cows eat more of it compared to bales so they milk more!!!!
Idk we get good enough yields. Fresh calvers on ad lib silage I milked a few in a jar and measured out with a jug, 2nd calvers doing 12 in the evening so should do 14 in the morning is say, 3rd and 4th one did 14 in the evening another did 16, all back nearly 2ltrs now in the evening on this drier silage. Seems to make a bigger difference to fresh calvers as the herd average didn't drop as much. The fresher cows are getting 4kgs of meal and the rest get 2kgs.

Pottinger do a mower that conditioner can be removed when not needed, weather you can buy the mower alone and then purchase the conditioner at a later date if need be. Other brands may do like wise

Have a 3 year old 10ft pottinger here changing to front and back mounted for more output and to use the horse power we have.i wouldn't touch a mounted mower with that size tractor seen three mowers with conditioners break the lift arms in different places all on sub 130hp tractors.weight is another problem when turning you will have to crawl to avoid turning over. You would tip along with a trailed mower and still get over decent amount of ground.my Potteniger is for sale if you want to have a look.

Remember starting with a 5 feet.6 Fahr 4 drum mower on a 35x multi power in 1966 , a revelation after a ferguson "octopus" reaper think I,l pass on the finger bar mower.

That never going to cut a heavy wet crop that's growing along the ground
I know the crops you mean and I haven't seen it cutting in that type of crop yet. Still if be interested to see what it could do before I'd rule it out. Can definitely cut in some conditions that would be impossible for a disc mower lol

Reactions: AYF
I know the crops you mean and I haven't seen it cutting in that type of crop yet. Still if be interested to see what it could do before I'd rule it out. Can definitely cut in some conditions that would be impossible for a disc mower lol

Some fairly hard going in bits of that vid!
Would like to see how it deals with stones mind you.

Tis kinda hard to argue with the work its doing in the wet alright
Tbh the fact that its wet shouldn't affect a finger bar. Would stop a disk mower dead alright. Finger bar would literally cut the water. The stuff is big there mind!
The crop at 54 seconds in is fair impressive.

Their website is a bit sparce. But I see what is a breakback the same as normal mowers on the side mowers.
Blade changing is another concern. Blades seem to be old skool riveted on. Whole section or nothing I suppose?!

Tbh the fact that its wet shouldn't affect a finger bar. Would stop a disk mower dead alright. Finger bar would literally cut the water. The stuff is big there mind!
The crop at 54 seconds in is fair impressive.

Their website is a bit sparce. But I see what is a breakback the same as normal mowers on the side mowers.
Blade changing is another concern. Blades seem to be old skool riveted on. Whole section or nothing I suppose?!
They sell an auto sharpener but could be expensive

Reactions: AYF
Nice dirty looking crop there. Closest I think you'll find to Irish conditions still not the same though, id just like to see a double knife mower in action be nice to mow 30ft with a 30 or 40hp tractor.

Alright guys. Just looking for advice here.

No mower at present but was asked to take over the mowing side of things of another contractor as he is winding down. Approx 1300 acres of his with about 400 of my own.

Not too fond of a trailed mower so thinking of a 9ft mounted mower. Probably have to go with the centre pivot ones.

Don't think I could take all the acrage so roughly 1000 per year but more realisticly possibly 600 to 700 to start due to my own contracting commitments.

I'm running a landini 5-115H. 110 horses to play with.

Cheers in advance

Been thinking about this. To mow the acreage you're talking about and ted and row and to fit it in with the weather patterns now I can't see you doing it yourself with one mower and one tractor. You could keep your tractor for the raking or tedding and get a bigger tractor and put front and rear mowers on. Easy for me to spend someone else's money though :santa2:

Nice dirty looking crop there. Closest I think you'll find to Irish conditions still not the same though, id just like to see a double knife mower in action be nice to mow 30ft with a 30 or 40hp tractor.
Close to Irish conditions ?? You no get wind and rain over there any more . Fairly sure if you were to buy a modern day finger bar mower you would be looking to replace it before the end of the season

If finger bar mowers were that good they never would have went out of fashion.

Stones were there biggest downfall, the least tip and the edge was gone off them or they broke.

A character here said to my father when he was down for the tenth time in a three acre field one day, "you are not paid for cuttin' stones" :eek3::lol:

Back