milk prices

As an outsider, don't know what Glanbia are at with this messing:

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/glanbia-milk-price-bonus-fully-justified/

Are they trying to hedge their bets or something :confused3:
they are pulling themselves up to mid table in the kpmg milk league for 2017, the accountants would have a fair idea how much behind the other co ops they were so they are just doing enough to languish mid table either that or they weren,t paying enough for milk all year and they can,t sleep at night:cowboy:

they are pulling themselves up to mid table in the kpmg milk league for 2017, the accountants would have a fair idea how much behind the other co ops they were so they are just doing enough to languish mid table either that or they weren,t paying enough for milk all year and they can,t sleep at night:cowboy:

Oh I get all of that,.but why not just pay a decent price all year instead of all this messing.

But then Glanbia seem to like complication going on this trading bonus mallarkey as well.

Oh I get all of that,.but why not just pay a decent price all year instead of all this messing.

But then Glanbia seem to like complication going on this trading bonus mallarkey as well.
I wonder are processing costs starting to become an issue, majority of suppliers were already coop shareholders so had to pay zero towards them and a few new entrants or lads that had no shares bought them at €10000 and nothing else. It was 10k for a guy with 50 cows or 500 cows which doesn't really make sense to me, is all the rapid expansion and hiccups in belview costing a lot more to them that initially envisaged or maybe they are not as good at selling and marketing product as other processors.

I wonder are processing costs starting to become an issue, majority of suppliers were already coop shareholders so had to pay zero towards them and a few new entrants or lads that had no shares bought them at €10000 and nothing else. It was 10k for a guy with 50 cows or 500 cows which doesn't really make sense to me, is all the rapid expansion and hiccups in belview costing a lot more to them that initially envisaged or maybe they are not as good at selling and marketing product as other processors.

Could never totally understand the logic of that myself either.

Did I not read somewhere that GIIL are in the process of applying for planning in the south east for another plant? Maybe that's why they are being cautious.....

Bill O'Keefe got in a few digs at them today on the price in the Journal too :laugh:

Is the milk bubble going to burst. I think after the last year or so some lads will sit down and have a serious chat with themselves. With the craziness of land rent prices. Silage shortage is a big issue with cows going up and the acreage of silage ground suffering because of this something is going to give you can't milk a starved cow!!!

Its only 2 years ago since the last milk price trough. It'll drop. I don't know of any dairy farmer who doesn't believe it will. It'll also rise again after it drops. Its simple supply and demand economics. Its something we have to get used to.
Up Corn Down Horn . It could get stuck in a marginally profitable trough like has happened with cereals . That would be the worst thing to happen as everybody else would happily maintain their margins and not enough would exit to lift profitability . This happens when governments intervene and buy up stocks and release them when price rises .

Up Corn Down Horn . It could get stuck in a marginally profitable trough like has happened with cereals . That would be the worst thing to happen as everybody else would happily maintain their margins and not enough would exit to lift profitability . This happens when governments intervene and buy up stocks and release them when price rises .

To my mind this dumping of milk powder on the market at present is not helping either. But I think I read somewhere that it is practically out of date?

I think a few of us should get together and make a series called "White Gold Rush" , we could possibly knock a few seasons out of it and live off the royalties.:unsure:
it could end up like those dramas about the US in vietnam, young teenagers full of gung ho at the start realising that its really a never ending slog with no rainbow at the end of it, slowly losing their minds while the generals at the top are off having a good time:woot:

it could end up like those dramas about the US in vietnam, young teenagers full of gung ho at the start realising that its really a never ending slog with no rainbow at the end of it, slowly losing their minds while the generals at the top are off having a good time:woot:

Milk MASH!!

Back