Ford/New Holland

It's very rare now to see an 8210 or a tw working you'd see far more 50 series deeres or fergusons.
You'd see more fiat's even.
Soft in the way you could pull the lift arms out of the back end.
The way the engines were shite.
They were alcoholics and they rotted.
There a nice looking tractor that is about it
The rot I will agree with, but there is a reason that a rusty 7810 will make more than a tidy 3050 :Whistle2:

:scratchhead::rolleyes2:, might be time to get the blinkers off a bit.

At least Ford's have a simple hydraulic system compared to the JD system.
The John deere system was far ahead of its time what made shite of the John deeres was tipping trailers that needed alot of oil flow the header tank wasn't big enough.
There was a few around here with an extra tank fitted.
Ford's gave plenty of hydraulic trouble too and you couldn't stop them leaking

The rot I will agree with, but there is a reason that a rusty 7810 will make more than a tidy 3050 :Whistle2:
Your a Ford man at heart I won't win.
In 1989 if you had two tractors on demo the John deere would be far superior to the Ford.
The 7810 and the tw15 are the benchmarkers in ford's.
A 3650 is worth more than a tw 20 for example.
Lads are afraid of 50 series over the hydraulic system.

It's very rare now to see an 8210 or a tw working you'd see far more 50 series deeres or fergusons.
You'd see more fiat's even.
Soft in the way you could pull the lift arms out of the back end.
The way the engines were shite.
They were alcoholics and they rotted.
There a nice looking tractor that is about it
Without arguing the merits of either brand, the comment about not seeing TW's working is pure bullshit. I can be fairly certain there are more TW's still working than any other brand of tractor in that horsepower bracket

Without arguing the merits of either brand, the comment about not seeing TW's working is pure bullshit. I can be fairly certain there are more TW's still working than any other brand of tractor in that horsepower bracket
I can only comment on what I see and I only see one tw working and that's with us so to say my comment is bullshit is fairly stupid.
No different then you might see plenty of them working it's rare to see one working in this part of the world.
Just for instance there's 3 2680
Masseys working locally here.
You probably haven't seen one in years

I can only comment on what I see and I only see one tw working and that's with us so to say my comment is bullshit is fairly stupid.
No different then you might see plenty of them working it's rare to see one working in this part of the world.
Just for instance there's 3 2680
Masseys working locally here.
You probably haven't seen one in years
Look on Donedeal, theres always TWs and 30 series for sale. How many 2680s would you see? That would tell me there are still lots out there working. I know of a few older Deeres around, likewise TW's. If you think there are more Masseys of that vintage and horsepower bracket as the TW's working then you haven't a clue.

Last edited:
Look on Donedeal, theres always TWs and 30 series for sale. How many 2680s would you see? That would tell me there are still lots out there working. I know of a few older Dearer around, likewise TW's. If you think there are more Masseys of that vintage and horsepower bracket as the TW's working then you haven't a clue.
Like I said in the above post what's working in my area and your area is totally different obviously.
Ive only ever seen one 30 working there used be a few tw 20s about but there all rotten and gone porous now.
Just because of what you see in your patch doesn't mean it's repeated all over.
The west would traditionally be a big massey area anyway.
I done a bit of thinking I had said there was 3 but there's a contractor I forgot had two and one farmerand within 3 Square miles there's 6 2680s working.
Theres 1 tw

Like I said in the above post what's working in my area and your area is totally different obviously.
Ive only ever seen one 30 working there used be a few tw 20s about but there all rotten and gone porous now.
Just because of what you see in your patch doesn't mean it's repeated all over.
The west would traditionally be a big massey area anyway.
I done a bit of thinking I had said there was 3 but there's a contractor I forgot had two and one farmerand within 3 Square miles there's 6 2680s working.
Theres 1 tw
The country is bigger than Kerry or Wexford. You're statement originally was that you wouldn't see any 8210s or TW's still working. Venture outside of Kerry and into Cork, indeed any other County. If you don't see TW's working then you must have your eyes closed. Like I said several times before, Fords of this generation certainly had their faults, but so did all other brands. TW's might not have been the most refined machine, but they were good workhorses and generally very reliable if given even a tiny bit of maintenance. The amount of TW's brought into this Country by the likes of Pat Timmins, Paddy Lacey and others would astonish you.

We had a 2wd 8100 converted to an 8210 engine. 120hp down the shaft without a turbo, 40km/h road speed and an animal to pull. Only ever had to drop the dual power around here with up to 18 ton of wheat. I wouldn't have counted it as soft, far from it. It wasn't a TW though, so maybe a lot of lads abused them thinking they were the same tractor.
Much nicer gearbox than the TW though, could shift up and down gears on the move easily despite being a constant mesh.

Anyways before we are all indoctrinated into thinking that every farmer in the country who doesn't run a Deere is mad in the head and there's no TW's working anymore etc and Ford's are rubbish despite having a market share outweighing JD for years and years....

@Skimmer, there was a lad in Classic Tractor either this month or last month asking about a similar tractor to your old one. Is it her? No cast frame like on the 8100's and had a TW type bonnet.

If Ford's are so bad, how come the local mechanic has a range of 7810s putting out anywhere from 120hp up to 160hp ish. All still in work too I think.

Anyways before we are all indoctrinated into thinking that every farmer in the country who doesn't run a Deere is mad in the head and there's no TW's working anymore etc and Ford's are rubbish despite having a market share outweighing JD for years and years....

@Skimmer, there was a lad in Classic Tractor either this month or last month asking about a similar tractor to your old one. Is it her? No cast frame like on the 8100's and had a TW type bonnet.

If Ford's are so bad, how come the local mechanic has a range of 7810s putting out anywhere from 120hp up to 160hp ish. All still in work too I think.

I'll have to have a look at that issue, the brother gets it every month so he should have it in his house. The one we had had folded side rails that were only cosmetic, they hid any hydraulic piping, hoses and wiring. Put together by Bob White!!

I'll have to have a look at that issue, the brother gets it every month so he should have it in his house. The one we had had folded side rails that were only cosmetic, they hid any hydraulic piping, hoses and wiring. Put together by Bob White!!

It's in the Ask the Experts section. Sure it could only have been Bob, the Ford six cylinder guru! And Hesston harvesters as Peter knows :Thumbp2:

The country is bigger than Kerry or Wexford. You're statement originally was that you wouldn't see any 8210s or TW's still working. Venture outside of Kerry and into Cork, indeed any other County. If you don't see TW's working then you must have your eyes closed. Like I said several times before, Fords of this generation certainly had their faults, but so did all other brands. TW's might not have been the most refined machine, but they were good workhorses and generally very reliable if given even a tiny bit of maintenance. The amount of TW's brought into this Country by the likes of Pat Timmins, Paddy Lacey and others would astonish you.
Your on about tillage Country I'm on about grass country and put a tw at any grass related job and it's awkward and slow and just not nice to use.
They suited pulling the likes of a disk harrow something to get the revs down and keep them lugging but that was it.
I'd have a 50 series any day of the week anyway

No one said anyone was mad you seem to be seriously bothered by my comments about them not being good.
If you don't agree with it move on there's no need to trow the toys out of the pram over 30 year old tractors

No one said anyone was mad you seem to be seriously bothered by my comments about them not being good.
If you don't agree with it move on there's no need to trow the toys out of the pram over 30 year old tractors

Me seriously bothered :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If all I had to worry about was tractors I'd be grand.

Me seriously bothered :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If all I had to worry about was tractors I'd be grand.
First paragraph there shows that it has.
I was simply pointing out the fact that there not held in a high regard by ourselves or lads I know that have owned them.
If you were a design engineer in Ford in the 80s id understand your frustration at my comments.

First paragraph there shows that it has.
I was simply pointing out the fact that there not held in a high regard by ourselves or lads I know that have owned them.
If you were a design engineer in Ford in the 80s id understand your frustration at my comments.

Cop on, that was tongue in cheek.

No tractor or any machine is perfect not even your beloved Deeres.

Cop on, that was tongue in cheek.

No tractor or any machine is perfect not even your beloved Deeres.

You'd want to get down off your high horse
What's my "beloved" deeres supposed to mean?
I'd be the first one to say if I thought something was a heap of shite

Your on about tillage Country I'm on about grass country and put a tw at any grass related job and it's awkward and slow and just not nice to use.
They suited pulling the likes of a disk harrow something to get the revs down and keep them lugging but that was it.
What fords have you owned? Or have you spent any time driving them? You obviously have never driven a TW, or you wouldn't suggest "getting the revs down and keep them lugging". It's the exact opposite of what you do with a short stroke engine like in the TW'S. My problem with you is your generalizing of the whole ford tractor brand, and insinuating that they all smoke, all their engines go porous, lift arms fall off etc etc. Realistically, I think you have little to no first hand experience of operating or running a ford from that generation. We have had countless amounts of them here, my father drove some of his first home from the factory in Cork. We never had an engine failure, never lost a lift arm. Never replaced a hydraulic pump. Never had a porous block. Need I go on?
And to suggest that TW's were not used in grass based farming really does show how blinkered you are. Many silage harvesters were driven by TW's in all parts of the country, even in your county too I'd imagine. Crazy, eh? I suppose you'll say that there is no grassland in Cork next.
So, just what is your experience of running ford tractors seeing as you know so much of their failings? Or is it a case of " my neighbours uncle's daughters husband had one and he said their shite"?

You mustn’t have drove to many Massey 2680s , Jesus give me any ford over them . Let it be at grass or tillage.

What fords have you owned? Or have you spent any time driving them? You obviously have never driven a TW, or you wouldn't suggest "getting the revs down and keep them lugging". It's the exact opposite of what you do with a short stroke engine like in the TW'S. My problem with you is your generalizing of the whole ford tractor brand, and insinuating that they all smoke, all their engines go porous, lift arms fall off etc etc. Realistically, I think you have little to no first hand experience of operating or running a ford from that generation. We have had countless amounts of them here, my father drove some of his first home from the factory in Cork. We never had an engine failure, never lost a lift arm. Never replaced a hydraulic pump. Never had a porous block. Need I go on?
And to suggest that TW's were not used in grass based farming really does show how blinkered you are. Many silage harvesters were driven by TW's in all parts of the country, even in your county too I'd imagine. Crazy, eh? I suppose you'll say that there is no grassland in Cork next.
So, just what is your experience of running ford tractors seeing as you know so much of their failings? Or is it a case of " my neighbours uncle's daughters husband had one and he said their shite"?
Friend has a tw that does be with us.
Might have worded my post wrong sorry if that caused offence.
What I ment is that the likes of disking or such is where its happiest the grunt doesn't seem to be there at the very top in the two I do drive its Down a bit.
Ive driven several ford's my father was driving 10 series ford's for nearly 15 years we have owned ford's and new hollands.Driving a harvester is a fairly simple task tbh.
And like I have said numerous times it was nearly all 2680s in harvesters around here.

You mustn’t have drove to many Massey 2680s , Jesus give me any ford over them . Let it be at grass or tillage.
You musnt have driven many ford's so.
It's all subjective if we all liked the same thing and had the same experience of them then we would all have the same brand.
Just because we never got on with ford's doesn't mean I'm automatically wrong because someone else likes them.
It's the same as you saying to me I like ploughing and I saying to you well your wrong because I don't use a plough and mines better than yours

Back