1st time beet grower

Had you much boron on for the crown root? Yeilds pretty okay I assume given the year
Yes boron in the compound and two applications of solubor. Couldn’t even guesstimate yield yet, it’s too early, root size is not massive but trailers are filling quick enough.

Yes boron in the compound and two applications of solubor. Couldn’t even guesstimate yield yet, it’s too early, root size is not massive but trailers are filling quick enough.
I'm miss growing beet, was always like a school child counting the trailers and working out the yeild. I assume 40T is the new 30T

Do the Cattle justify 1000 bales of straw for bedding . We used to have cattle and part of me misses them but I was talking to a man and he has a dose of pneumonia going through his and is taking all their temperatures daily and I thought I have better things to be doing on a Saturday evening .
No cattle in this year?

Great to see the ground conditions holding up well for the lifting, even after all the rain this past 6-8 weeks.

We used to have cattle and part of me misses them but I was talking to a man and he has a dose of pneumonia going through his and is taking all their temperatures daily and I thought I have better things to be doing on a Saturday evening .

Does that man you mentioned carry out a full vaccination programme such as Bovillis/ Rispoval??? Somthing serious a miss there...
Also is sheds well ventilated or a good air flow through the shed.
Nothing better to spread pneumonia than a stale damp muggy shed..

Do the Cattle justify 1000 bales of straw for bedding . We used to have cattle and part of me misses them but I was talking to a man and he has a dose of pneumonia going through his and is taking all their temperatures daily and I thought I have better things to be doing on a Saturday evening .
They would get more than 1000 but that includes pea haulm, oat straw etc. Most years it’s justifiable, the value of FYM returned to the land shouldn’t be underestimated. Cattle can be frustrating when things aren’t going to plan but I would hate the thoughts of our yard without livestock during the winter.

Im
Does that man you mentioned carry out a full vaccination programme such as Bovillis/ Rispoval??? Somthing serious a miss there...

Vaccinations are not worth their salt for pneumonia, years of experience has taught us better and even a vet here recently said the exact same. Lots of issues on beef farms this year with overcrowding due to slaughtering issues

Im

Vaccinations are not worth their salt for pneumonia, years of experience has taught us better and even a vet here recently said the exact same. Lots of issues on beef farms this year with overcrowding due to slaughtering issues
I would totally agree with you on vaccinations for pneumonia, I have found the to be next to useless.

I would totally agree with you on vaccinations for pneumonia, I have found the to be next to useless.
I recently looked at one of the boxes of a certain vaccine, and it said the vaccine offered 95% cover. Handy 5% get out clause for the company when there is a breakdown. I had issue a few years ago with old calves. Many died in quick succession in the middle of summer out doors from strain they were supposed to be covered for. When you dig a bit you quickly realise, maybe a blessing by the local priest might be money better spent

Great to see the ground conditions holding up well for the lifting, even after all the rain this past 6-8 weeks.

He would keep things fairly right . These are big cattle and some of them had problems as young calves he bought late in the season .

I recently looked at one of the boxes of a certain vaccine, and it said the vaccine offered 95% cover. Handy 5% get out clause for the company when there is a breakdown. I had issue a few years ago with old calves. Many died in quick succession in the middle of summer out doors from strain they were supposed to be covered for. When you dig a bit you quickly realise, maybe a blessing by the local priest might be money better spent
It’s calves up to about four months old that I have the problem with. I have tried all the vaccines and none of them were any good. My vet told me lately that there at least two strains that no vaccine will control, I suspect there’s a lot more than two.

It’s calves up to about four months old that I have the problem with. I have tried all the vaccines and none of them were any good. My vet told me lately that there at least two strains that no vaccine will control, I suspect there’s a lot more than two.

there are 18 strains last time I researched, you can vaccinate for 5 at a reasonable price. I happened to be in Grange about 5 yrs ago for the beef day and there were some researchers from Trinity college about a novel nano yoke that could detect the exact strain there and then. They had a chart done up showing which strains were attacking a sample of animals, and each of the 18, had close to 5% of the pie.

Pulled trial of Alisha vs Magnum yesterday, weighed it this morning there's a free stump of sugar beet for anyone that guesses what the Alisha did as a % of the Magnum..... Side by side in a uniform piece of a field, same fert, sprays etc

Pulled trial of Alisha vs Magnum yesterday, weighed it this morning there's a free stump of sugar beet for anyone that guesses what the Alisha did as a % of the Magnum..... Side by side in a uniform piece of a field, same fert, sprays etc

105%?

Alisha did 10% more fresh tonnes per acre

No unfortunately your both a bit optimistic, Magnum in the plot (not the average yield across the field) did 38T/AC Alisha did 97% so just shy of 37. Given it should have a higher DM ( haven't tested it yet) there is a good DM yield increase.
19%V23 I think or thereabout

Yeah thats the book value all right, I might. Do a bit of microwaving tonight and see what I come up with..

That’s quite a difference in DM yield.

will a microwave get all the moisture out? You’ll have a funny smelling kitchen!!!

No unfortunately your both a bit optimistic, Magnum in the plot (not the average yield across the field) did 38T/AC Alisha did 97% so just shy of 37. Given it should have a higher DM ( haven't tested it yet) there is a good DM yield increase.

Interesting findings there @WestCorkBoy ...
Keep us updated on the dry matter test if it works out:Thumbp2:.

Back