Organic farming

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7019963/ is one, with a focus on health outcomes.

That's fair enough, I'm not trying to convince you, just offer another perspective. I also am interested in the scientific and effeciency elements but approach it from a biological perspective. There is lots to be learned from conventional/organic/regenerative agriculture to further refine production methods and see what works. As you say, this is always evolving.
you got there first

Not entirely conclusive, but surely reduced exposure to pesticides has to have a long term health benefit.

The fertility claim is an interesting one based on the below graph.

View attachment 128345

I agree we will never feed the global population we have solely on organic food. It's up to people exercise their own judgement on what they eat. General diets are all wrong today anyways. I eat my food as close to the ground as I can get it.

We also won't feed the world without Glyphosate, and it's use being extended lately was an exercise in the lesser of two evils I believe. I'm not convinced on it being good for human health long term.

Just reading through that paper and it’s far from conclusive.

It seems to have been compiled by those with Organic agriculture as their preference (which is fair enough if they’re trying to defend it).

The title could even give that away, to be impartial the word conventional could be placed before organic but it’s the other way around….

They admit in the conclusions that there’s not enough proof for a definitive statement.

They also go on about the dangerous OP chemicals, these haven’t been used in European agriculture for years.

IMG_2524.png

I couldn’t say that Glyphosate is good for the health but I can’t see any proof that it’s bad for it either.
People seem to be drawn to binary results - either something is “good” for you or “bad” for you. Too many people don’t consider that at acceptable levels perhaps something makes no difference to your health!

With regard to food, I think that over processing of food should be of much greater concern in terms of our health than whether it was produced organically or not.

I'll get stuck into the argument in a second but first I need to buckle up my organic leather sandals, tie up my organic dreadlocked hair with some fairtrade hemp and blow out the organic earwax candles at my Eamon Ryan shrine......

Conventional farmers who farm within the regulations feel put upon. They do their best to produce quality food despite continually increasing regulations and lowering margins. Then have the blow of being told they are a factor, in ever-increasing emissions, that are slowly cooking the planet alive.

" You did everything you were told, you did it as well as you could through huge effort, but it turns out you're the cause of all the problems because of it"

No wonder lads are p*ssed off.

Conventional farmers who farm within the regulations feel put upon. They do their best to produce quality food despite continually increasing regulations and lowering margins. Then have the blow of being told they are a factor, in ever-increasing emissions, that are slowly cooking the planet alive.

" You did everything you were told, you did it as well as you could through huge effort, but it turns out you're the cause of all the problems because of it"

No wonder lads are p*ssed off.
Funny how, if it's actually farming and rural housing that's leading to so-called global warming and climate change, the only actual warming they are finding is in cities. This has been shown by numerous scientists, National Oceanic Atmospheric and Administration (NOAA) in the US which is regarded as the gold standard in climate science, and a recently published scientific study which recorded warming separately in cities and rural areas. They found temperatures had increased by almost 1.5 degrees in cities worldwide, but there was only minimal warning in rural areas. Seems to me, it's all that steel, glass, tarmac, data centres, etc causing the most problems. And, rewilding will lead to far more fires in the future. The real cause of bush fires in Portugal and Greece isn't high temperatures, it's the abandonment of rural areas and farms which have been taken over by scrub.

I’m not aware of a single study that shows proven health benefits of organic food?

My area of interest goes beyond conventional agriculture (whatever that is as it’s always evolving). What I’m really interested in is science and efficiency in agriculture - organic goes against both scientific and efficiency logic as I see it. If organic actually convinced me of its real benefits then I’d happily spend my money on it, but it doesn’t.
Whilst clearly a strong argument can be made against organic from an efficiency/feed people point of view, what is the argument against organic from a scientific point of view??

Causation versus correlation.
Wealthy people live longer than poor people, therefore all choices made by wealthy people "cause" this longevity.
Ipso facto, foreign holidays are better for your health than working overtime.

Last edited:
I don’t know of any scientific argument against organic itself but the claims that organic is healthier for us is certainly not very credible scientifically.
I think in an Irish/EU scenario that is true but for other parts of the world??? I’m not so sure

I think in an Irish/EU scenario that is true but for other parts of the world??? I’m not so sure
I couldn’t say,

Perhaps in the underdeveloped areas where Dursban might still be sprayed aerially for mosquito control, organic food might be better for you (if you had a shop to buy it in).

I couldn’t say,

Perhaps in the underdeveloped areas where Dursban might still be sprayed aerially for mosquito control, organic food might be better for you (if you had a shop to buy it in).
Malaria kills 1320 children per day including Christmas Day . It is the leading cause of death in children .
We have a free range Turkey on Christmas Day but never had an organic Turkey .

Malaria kills 1320 children per day including Christmas Day . It is the leading cause of death in children .
We have a free range Turkey on Christmas Day but never had an organic Turkey .
I think New York was aerial sprayed too at some point?

Completely agree with your sentiment.

I’m not sure whether I should laugh at the naïve ideology or cry at the potential waste of more public money.
Surely, they would have been better off focusing on local food supplies that would actually put money back into Ireland if they were actually bothered about the Irish economy.
It sounds to me like it’ll be imported overpriced organic food.

Checking the calendar again here to see if it’s the 1st of April….

View attachment 128340
Of course the HSE, Prison Services and Schools have no issues that actually need attention. There is no way that the extra money would be better spent on reducing waiting lists, reducing over crowding or education in prisons, or extending the free meals in schools.
Greenwashing.

It's more a case of why would you feed people that have been imprisoned for crimes against the state and law abiding people of this country organic food?
A meat factory owner that is dead a few years had a contract for supplying the prison service with meat . He rang up the local Knacker yard and asked had he any animals that would be suitable to fill the contract .

Just reading through that paper and it’s far from conclusive.

It seems to have been compiled by those with Organic agriculture as their preference (which is fair enough if they’re trying to defend it).

The title could even give that away, to be impartial the word conventional could be placed before organic but it’s the other way around….

They admit in the conclusions that there’s not enough proof for a definitive statement.

They also go on about the dangerous OP chemicals, these haven’t been used in European agriculture for years.

View attachment 128346

I couldn’t say that Glyphosate is good for the health but I can’t see any proof that it’s bad for it either.
People seem to be drawn to binary results - either something is “good” for you or “bad” for you. Too many people don’t consider that at acceptable levels perhaps something makes no difference to your health!

With regard to food, I think that over processing of food should be of much greater concern in terms of our health than whether it was produced organically or not.

My grandfather ate organic food he grew himself and was very healthy. I haven't the time for that and make choices accordingly. I'm still healthy because I exercise 5 days a week due knowing I have to because I work at a desk.

You are right on the processing, more processing, more calories, more obesity. I hate to see red meat and dairy demonised, as it's an excellent source of protein. I looked at the ingredient in fake mince and it seemed to be soy and filler. There's an awful lot of shite being marketed as good at the minute because it has a "high in protein" written on the side. Most protein bars provide 1/3 the protein per calorie that lean meat does. The rest is filler.

You're also right on a lack of conclusive evidence for organic being better. I gave up on organic spuds because they were going out of date before I could eat them due to shorter shelf life.

The jury is out on glyphosate but the WHO is not enamoured with it. Statistically as a probable carcinogen, it will cause a number of cancer related deaths. The number of deaths it will cause is small enough that it is lower than deaths due to lack of food and political unrest we would see without it. I understand it's a necessary and very useful chemical in tillage farming. I still have mixed feelings on pre harvest dessication. That's just me.

The present generation are the children of people that used contraception . A woman takes oestrogen for ten years and decides to have children and expects them to be normal .
That thought has occurred to me and makes me question tapwater in cities

Of course the HSE, Prison Services and Schools have no issues that actually need attention. There is no way that the extra money would be better spent on reducing waiting lists, reducing over crowding or education in prisons, or extending the free meals in schools.
Greenwashing.
Given what is currently served in some hospitals, how the food is grown doesn’t make one jot of difference.

I had a hospital stay, and all the food is cooked offsite the previous day. The supplier has had closure order enforced by the FSA last year, but somehow manages to retain the government contract 🤦

I read the summary of a study the indicated that women on the pill, picked the wrong life partners while on it, as their hormones were all over the shop 🫣
Big hairy lads and no consequences. Then they become emotionally committed to unreliable players .

Big hairy lads and no consequences. Then they become emotionally committed to unreliable players .
This reminds me,

What is it with every guy under 50 wearing beards nowadays? It looks a bit ridiculous, a bit of an overdone trend.
I was in the service station place by Manorstone a couple of weeks ago. I was sitting having a (non-organic) chicken burger and chips and observing. I’d estimate that 90% of the men had some bit of a beard on them, I was almost expecting a few women and babies with beards to show up. I know it’s not just a Laois thing.

On Glyphosate, it is one of the safest chemicals I use in farming.
Here is a challenge to anyone who believes Glyphosate is dangerous.
I will sit down with you at a table, with neat Glyphosate spray in front of me and table salt in front of you. If you wish we can ingest our poisons till you die.
Or
I will sit down with you at a table, with dilute Glyphosate, at the standard strength sprayed on most farms, in front of me, and Sea water in front of you, and again, if you wish, we can drink till you die.

On Glyphosate, it is one of the safest chemicals I use in farming.
Here is a challenge to anyone who believes Glyphosate is dangerous.
I will sit down with you at a table, with neat Glyphosate spray in front of me and table salt in front of you. If you wish we can ingest our poisons till you die.
Or
I will sit down with you at a table, with dilute Glyphosate, at the standard strength sprayed on most farms, in front of me, and Sea water in front of you, and again, if you wish, we can drink till you die.
I'll be having a glass of the finest organic wine thanks, you can keep your other shite :wink:

Back