At the mart...

Very little been shown, and they are poor quality, and the price is well out of kilter.

Do you think they are there to be shown?

Our townland which has about 6 or 7 farms on it has 50% less weanlings born on it this year compared to 10 years ago (even compared to 5 years ago). The biggest farm has changed from suckling to all herford beef from bucket fed calves, another is just buying a few weanlings and selling stores, another has planted half of his land, others have just cut numbers of cows. We are the only ones that have kept our numbers steady.

any one sell any weanlings yet what way are they going? I have a man looking to buy some feb march born chx/six/lmx bulls on the land, weights from 320 to 380 kgs, what would a fair price per kg dropped in his yard be?

any one sell any weanlings yet what way are they going? I have a man looking to buy some feb march born chx/six/lmx bulls on the land, weights from 320 to 380 kgs, what would a fair price per kg dropped in his yard be?

Didnt sell any ourselves yet but was in the mart in Dowra last Sat , below is a few that i took down on the phone. Hoping to go to a special sale this saturday with spring born W.bulls. Prices a bit down i would think. As for price to land bulls in another mans yard yard i wouldnt be able to tell ya. Other lads might be able to give ya some advice there.

W. Bulls
Ch 305 kg 750eur
Lim 360 kg 900 eur
Ch 340 kg 770 eur
Ch 365kg 700 eur
Ch 310 845 eur
Sim 440 kg 830
Sim 460 kg 950

W.heifers
Ch 340 700 eur
Ch 290 670 eur
Si 265 600 eur
Lm 240 540 eur

Can't comment on price per kg for them. I haven't been in a mart since June and no great rush to go anytime soon. On transport if it's reasonably close then a tenner a head. Unless he's up against you then the price would be less.

Awful rush on cows in the local marts this week. Drumshanbo had more cows than weanlings last night. Mohill had a big wad of them today and only 150 weanlings on Wednesday night when any other year by now they'd be pushing 400.

Its going to keep beef prices low well into spring.

was in enniscorthy yesterday and it was the biggest sale of the year and i was at the end of it, it wasn,t looking good as the numbers round the ring started to get smaller but then a strange thing happened a few of the dealers went outside to take phone calls and low and behold the prices started to rise according to farmers that had been there all day, i sold my cattle and i was talking to one of the dealers after the sale and he said cattle rose 50 euroes a head from early on , my question is were the factory feedlots trying to get the price of stores down by not buying and when it wasn,t happening the call was made or have i a fertile imagination :confused3:

was in enniscorthy yesterday and it was the biggest sale of the year and i was at the end of it, it wasn,t looking good as the numbers round the ring started to get smaller but then a strange thing happened a few of the dealers went outside to take phone calls and low and behold the prices started to rise according to farmers that had been there all day, i sold my cattle and i was talking to one of the dealers after the sale and he said cattle rose 50 euroes a head from early on , my question is were the factory feedlots trying to get the price of stores down by not buying and when it wasn,t happening the call was made or have i a fertile imagination :confused3:

Hard to say . Usually not great to be at the end of a sale .

Any weights/prices ? Doesn't have to be your own , if youd sooner not.

Hard to say . Usually not great to be at the end of a sale .

Any weights/prices ? Doesn't have to be your own , if youd sooner not.
i,d 7 AA bullocks 2 x 590 kgs 990 euro, 3x 487 kgs 780 euro, 2x 532 kgs 890 , wasn,t many fr bullocks out but some made 170 along with the euro but others only 60 , good charlois cattle were selling very well but 600 with the kilo would be tops , didn,t see the cows selling but i think they were a tough enough trade

i,d 7 AA bullocks 2 x 590 kgs 990 euro, 3x 487 kgs 780 euro, 2x 532 kgs 890 , wasn,t many fr bullocks out but some made 170 along with the euro but others only 60 , good charlois cattle were selling very well but 600 with the kilo would be tops , didn,t see the cows selling but i think they were a tough enough trade

Thanks for that. From the few AA bullocks I sold in June and 1 in August , I think I will chance going back to bulling the Fr heifers with the Lm bull . Money back a lot from my LMx cattle.

Were they all 18 birthdays? Were they squarish?

Good weight in them. I’d say you were a little unlucky as there might of been a another score in them but you couldn’t take em at it home either.
Were cattle back much on account of big sale?

Good weight in them. I’d say you were a little unlucky as there might of been a another score in them but you couldn’t take em at it home either.
Were cattle back much on account of big sale?
lads say they were up on the week before especially by the end of the sale which isn,t normal for a big sale, the big rush is over i think as lads moved cattle earlier this year because of the brexit job, then i could be wrong :scratchhead:

the big rush is over i think as lads moved cattle earlier this year because of the brexit job, then i could be wrong :scratchhead:

I hope you're right. Big sales were few and far between around here. It means that there's less cattle. I believe that I saw figures that there has been a drop of almost 100k suckler cows from 2018

Buying cattle in ones would drive you nuts :sweat::sad:
It's hard to get the kind of cattle you want in bunches. There's usually a middling one included. I've often seem a bunch of 3 come in with 2 been smashing cattle and one screw. The catch there is your bidding on the good ones but paying the same price for the poorer one. It can go the other way to sometimes and the poor lad will drag down the price of the bunch but usually not.

It's hard to get the kind of cattle you want in bunches. There's usually a middling one included. I've often seem a bunch of 3 come in with 2 been smashing cattle and one screw. The catch there is your bidding on the good ones but paying the same price for the poorer one. It can go the other way to sometimes and the poor lad will drag down the price of the bunch but usually not.
if they try that here all the buyers shout up and pull the poor 1 out separate

Back