6 cylinder fordson major

The engine bits would be crazy money,the rest is all the same.

im not so sure on that, we get the parts for the man and a pressure switch had to be ordered, and another part was three times the price, cant think what it was. also his 298 lost the lift and that is when we were told inside is slightly different too, something about the pto set up or something but im not sure on that, I do like the tractor it pulls like a train and I would have nought a 2wd one until these things came up and they aren't that common, about 4 locally here though and all 4wd.

im not so sure on that, we get the parts for the man and a pressure switch had to be ordered, and another part was three times the price, cant think what it was. also his 298 lost the lift and that is when we were told inside is slightly different too, something about the pto set up or something but im not sure on that, I do like the tractor it pulls like a train and I would have nought a 2wd one until these things came up and they aren't that common, about 4 locally here though and all 4wd.

The 1080 and 595 had an odd pto but as far as I’m aware the 298s were just the 318.2 engines fitted,I know the 698 and 398 were identical back ends as others in the range.

The 1080 and 595 had an odd pto but as far as I’m aware the 298s were just the 318.2 engines fitted,I know the 698 and 398 were identical back ends as others in the range.

you could be right, wasnrt there two 698, a long and short wheel base version, short being the more sought after.

we had and sort of have a 6 cylinder Leyland conversion, but would like to do a 185 or similar to a six perkins, turbo

you could be right, wasnrt there two 698, a long and short wheel base version, short being the more sought after.

we had and sort of have a 6 cylinder Leyland conversion, but would like to do a 185 or similar to a six perkins, turbo

Yes Lwb 698 had a front axle similar to the 595’s,swb was still available with the 318.2 though,I had one with the same front axle as a 699.

More or less a 2wd 7810 forerunner. Should be a good job.
McGees of Ardee used to sell a 7400 in the mid 70s , from memory. I think a 7000 with a 6 cylinder.

There is an MF 185 with a 6/354 fitted to it , about 4 miles away. I always thought Massey should have done it themselves , instead of making the pieces of cr#p known as a 1080 and 595. A lovely tractor , if it had a quieter cab.

There was a 7400 at the Ford day a month ago, some of the lads might have a photo.

McGees of Ardee brought them in or else bought the parts from Eva to make their own. I can't remember exactly which way it was.

The 8100 was a County design built by Ford whereas the 8200 was County design and County built for Ford.

Yea, the Ransomes combine had a major engine. The only difference between the major and trader engines was the trader engine was much higher reviving about 2800 RPM I think, other wise they were basically the same engine.

@Mid cork, I was asking Dad about this again yesterday. He reckons the 4D lorry engine he got was one of the last of them and was similar to the blue/grey Super Major. He thinks there were some differences in these engines compared to the earlier Diesel Major's. I do know that official power ratings increased anyway so I think he's correct on that.

The one that was converted here was a late Diesel Major with live drive so just before they introduced the Power Major. It had a special badge on the grille too.

Here's a more retro one.
https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/fordson-e27n/23225031

NjNjNTQyNjEyNTc1ODMyZDhiMjQ5NDEyODQyMjg3OTi_Pb_Jh3HlAd4DQlfspA1jaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQ0MDIwMzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

@Mid cork, I was asking Dad about this again yesterday. He reckons the 4D lorry engine he got was one of the last of them and was similar to the blue/grey Super Major. He thinks there were some differences in these engines compared to the earlier Diesel Major's. I do know that official power ratings increased anyway so I think he's correct on that.

The one that was converted here was a late Diesel Major with live drive so just before they introduced the Power Major. It had a special badge on the grille too.
The injector pump was changed in the super major about a year before the blue/ grey ones came out. It was changed from a Simms with a vacuum governor to a Minimec with a mechanical governor. There was an increase in power but I think it was very small.

If the engine was out of a Thames trader it would be the same as a major engine. Was it out of a D series ford lorry?
I know the whereabouts of a major with a non standard engine sadly in a scapheap, it was used to load beet many moons ago, must enquire as to what it is fitted with, whatever it is it was a step up from standard but a bit of a pig with a front loader and no power steering, enough space and minimal steering input was a must.

I know the whereabouts of a major with a non standard engine sadly in a scapheap, it was used to load beet many moons ago, must enquire as to what it is fitted with, whatever it is it was a step up from standard but a bit of a pig with a front loader and no power steering, enough space and minimal steering input was a must.
My father had a super major loading beet back in the sixties and early seventies. It had a sky hi loader on it and as you said it was the most awkward ,stupid and heavy thing that was ever made. The loader never came off it and the clutch was burned out of every year or so.

When men were men

Super, Power or Diesel?

Diesel front wheels, Super grilles and seat.

Looks rot free which is always a good start!
The front wheels could be there for ballast, there's some weight in them. 12 stone if I remember rightly :eek3:

Back