6 cylinder fordson major

If you're fitting a 380 engine(a 360T is a better engine but harder to find),you'll find the sump holes don't line up with the bell housing.The block bolts all line up ok. As the sump is aluminium anyway there isn't a big loss in strength without the bolts but it does no harm to add a couple of strengtheners to the chassis rails where they are bolted on to the bell housing. If I can remember I'll add a picture of mine. Depending on which oil filter/housing you use,the chassis rail may need adapted to fit around it too. I've a standard Major canister filter on mine and the straight rail just touches it but does go past it without modification.You'll need to make front mountings and of course the a-frame underneath will need modified.
The live drive clutch is said not to like the extra power of the big 6 engines as the pressure plate housing is aluminium. The ''experts'' prefer to use non live tractors for their conversions but I think with sensible use it'll be ok.
Mine's a live drive Power Major with a 360T (no turbo for it yet) and an ongoing project but who knows when I'll get back to it! No tin work for it and a lot of temporary fixes just to make it go and be drivable.

Last edited:
If you're fitting a 380 engine(a 360T is a better engine but harder to find),you'll find the sump holes don't line up with the bell housing.The block bolts all line up ok. As the sump is aluminium anyway there isn't a big loss in strength without the bolts but it does no harm to add a couple of strengthers to the chassis rails where they are bolted on to the bell housing. If I can remember I'll add a picture of mine. Depending on which oil filter/housing you use,the chassis rail may need adapted to fit around it too. I've a standard Major canister filter on mine and the straight rail just touches it but does go past it without modification.You'll need to make front mountings and of course the a-frame underneath will need modified.
The live drive clutch is said not to like the extra power of the big 6 engines as the pressure plate housing is aluminium. The ''experts'' prefer to use non live tractors for their conversions but I think with sensible use it'll be ok.
Mine's a live drive Power Major with a 360T (no turbo for it yet) and an ongoing project but who knows when I'll get back to it! No tin work for it and a lot of temporary fixes just to make it go and be drivable.

Pictures would be great how did you fair out with the radiator?
Yeah will need different chassis I had heard about the sump.
I know a guy that has done a few of them and he's telling me to mod the sump and put a cross bar underneath it to get in the bottom bolts and keep the axle facing the same way around

Just a standard Major radiator in mine but the bottom outlet is on the wrong side. There's room to have a couple of hose elbows and a steel pipe between the engine and bottom of the radiator to get joined up from the other side.
Mine had a 6d engine in it when I got it. It lay outside for 40 years with the head off it so it was well stuffed. The a-frame was modified and turned around but it just looks so wrong. I have it chopped and temporarily welded and refitted the right way and it looks so much better.

Last edited:
As far as I know all power majors had the three spoke wheels, same as the supers.

Some of the very early Power Majors had four spokes to use up the Diesel ones but you are right that most were three spokes.

Basically that's a Super with a Diesel Major bonnet with the hole in the bonnet for a loader. That was an optional extra.

Pictures would be great how did you fair out with the radiator?
Yeah will need different chassis I had heard about the sump.
I know a guy that has done a few of them and he's telling me to mod the sump and put a cross bar underneath it to get in the bottom bolts and keep the axle facing the same way around

You'd be as well off welding two four cylinder sumps together and leaving the rear axle mounting point where it was. Some would have used combine radiators around here.

Some of the very early Power Majors had four spokes to use up the Diesel ones but you are right that most were three spokes.

Basically that's a Super with a Diesel Major bonnet with the hole in the bonnet for a loader. That was an optional extra.

You'd be as well off welding two four cylinder sumps together and leaving the rear axle mounting point where it was. Some would have used combine radiators around here.
Wonder do you have to change the nose cone if you change the rad.
I'll see on the engine front there's a few options really as the guy I mentioned has several engines.
We were thinking of a 6354

You'd be as well off welding two four cylinder sumps together and leaving the rear axle mounting point where it was. Some would have used combine radiators around here

Can only do that when using the 6d Trader engine.
The later 2700 series (380 etc) have aluminium sumps and are the wrong shape underneath and wouldn't have the strength to carry the a-frame anyway.

Why not go all out and fit a powerstar?

They still used the same bolt pattern didn't they?

Would certainly be different

Can only do that when using the 6d Trader engine.
The later 2700 series (380 etc) have aluminium sumps and are the wrong shape underneath and wouldn't have the strength to carry the a-frame anyway.

I should have added two four cylinder Major sumps not the industrial sumps which are aluminium

I'll see on the engine front there's a few options really as the guy I mentioned has several engines.

I know wetherhill shovels had Perkins 6.354 engines fitted to major back ends so sourcing a bell housing would be hard.

I should have added two four cylinder Major sumps not the industrial sumps which are aluminium

Still no use nash. The 4d and 6d sumps are not compatable with the 2700 series engines. There's a piece of the block and sump that juts out on the older engines to accommodate the oil pump. Later engines don't have this.

6 cylinder Deutz And No need to worry about a radiator :Whistle2:

You seem to be forgetting the Ford 3600 ?
Or as your brother told me ye affectionately call it "Daddys heap of sh#te " .
Its given 40 years of service.

I might be able to get a picture of a 1954 Diesel Major that was converted 40 years ago in the next few days . It's no beauty though.

I told ye it was no beauty. Actually the 2nd 6 cylinder engine that was put in it . It's original 4 cylinder engine seized , driving a UG 48" trailed offset silage harvester.
I cant get much of a picture , as it's near a wall. Hasn't moved for about 3 years.
20191030_132503.jpg 20191030_132537.jpg

Deutz engine here, 5 cylinder block, presumably the same as a DX90

https://machinerysales.cheffins.co..../?url=/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/745/?page=2

802039_0.jpg

Is that some sort of vineyard spec or are they all that narrow at the back.

The wings seem very close together

Back