At the mart...

@muckymanor
I'd read that, 580kg €2.58/kg a great price, that's a good gross margin at first glance, however considering there was a a few weeks of a winter in spring 17, a summer, a winter and a few weeks on grass in 2018.
The good would be gone out of the profit, it would be interesting to do it with a bigger number of bought in weanlings there's definitely a great market for a good forward store.

@muckymanor
I'd read that, 580kg €2.58/kg a great price, that's a good gross margin at first glance, however considering there was a a few weeks of a winter in spring 17, a summer, a winter and a few weeks on grass in 2018.
The good would be gone out of the profit, it would be interesting to do it with a bigger number of bought in weanlings there's definitely a great market for a good forward store.

I think I did ok. I got 9 ch bullocks off at €2.50/kg in february before the pinch for fodder really came. They were around the 600kg mark - well that's the weight I got paid for anyway. In 2017 I had them all off to grass in the first week of march. Even this year I was working ahead of myself and the few that I was left with had 7 weeks of grass before selling.

I think I did ok. I got 9 ch bullocks off at €2.50/kg in february before the pinch for fodder really came. They were around the 600kg mark - well that's the weight I got paid for anyway. In 2017 I had them all off to grass in the first week of march. Even this year I was working ahead of myself and the few that I was left with had 7 weeks of grass before selling.

That's great money €600 gross for carrying a weanling for a year.
If you can do that at scale, give up the job and the sucklers.
Lighter cattle on the ground, easier life.
TB would be the biggest threat, selling isn't a problem, not being able to buy is a massive problem.

That's great money €600 gross for carrying a weanling for a year.
If you can do that at scale, give up the job and the sucklers.
Lighter cattle on the ground, easier life.
TB would be the biggest threat, selling isn't a problem, not being able to buy is a massive problem.

This was an exceptional year for prices for those types. One swallow never made a summer as they say. As with our weanlings last week, prices could be down €100 or more per head this time next year.

I wouldn't have the quality of land to up the scale. You need dry land to be able to push cattle on like that and be letting them out on march 1st and not housing until mid November. We have a few acres of dry land in galway but its at its capacity with whats on it now. The auld 7 month winter that we get in Leitrim could see a man handing out CVS very fast again if he gave up his job.

This are a few prices from yesterday the ones i where there to sell were for an elderly women who i go with to sell 2 every yr
Both wh one was dairy born and cow double suckled
685 kgs e1410
635 kgs e1360
Anything 500 kgs plus was getting up to e2 a kg.
Are small cattle down as lads dont know what way feeding is going to be next winter. Met a lad who told me he reckons theres a lot of big buyers missing as there grass is soldScreenshot_20180515-091955.jpg

This are a few prices from yesterday the ones i where there to sell were for an elderly women who i go with to sell 2 every yr
Both wh one was dairy born and cow double suckled
685 kgs e1410
635 kgs e1360
Anything 500 kgs plus was getting up to e2 a kg.
Are small cattle down as lads dont know what way feeding is going to be next winter. Met a lad who told me he reckons theres a lot of big buyers missing as there grass is soldView attachment 54221

Posted this in wrong section can @nashmach or someone move it to mart report's

Sold 5 early may 17 born angus heifers, they were the runts of the litter really and weighed 250-270 and made 450-480. That was a waste of time but either way they had to go. Late calves are a disaster as they always come off milk too early and never get the same Tlc as the main group as they become a nusance in June. Sold 6 ccows straight out of the parlour, they made €1.50 a kg on average which was nice

Over 200 dry cows in mohill today. Unprecedented number for this time of year.

Is there going to be a big exodus from sucklers ? There seems to be quite a few people who have culled a large percentage of older cows , and haven't replaced them , but are rearing dairy bred calves instead. The good prices that a cull cow is making is helping lads make up their minds . Also , the boom is back , and there is nothing as disheartening as returning home tired after a hard day , anf facing a dead or sick calf.

I had 5 cattle in Roscrea Mart last Friday. Huge sale . 46 pens of bullocks. A better sale than the previous week. More sold.
I had 2 square Lm bullocks out of Fr cows , March 17 , 417 kg made €800. They'd have made 100 more last year , but that's irrelevant. 3 x nice Red Lm sucked . 476 kg €1140.

Other prices I saw.
Super square Fr bullock 3/17, 530 not sold in ri g @ €1100. 2 x AS 4/17 540 kg €1030. 1 x CH 470 kg 10/16€965. 3 x aax 375kg not sold @€735.
3 x slx 6/17 366 kg€880. Fancy. Minky Sl 4/17 445 kg €965. 480 kg red lm with white face 3/17 €1070.

I had 5 cattle in Roscrea Mart last Friday. Huge sale . 46 pens of bullocks. A better sale than the previous week. More sold.
I had 2 square Lm bullocks out of Fr cows , March 17 , 417 kg made €800. They'd have made 100 more last year , but that's irrelevant. 3 x nice Red Lm sucked . 476 kg €1140.

Other prices I saw.
Super square Fr bullock 3/17, 530 not sold in ri g @ €1100. 2 x AS 4/17 540 kg €1030. 1 x CH 470 kg 10/16€965. 3 x aax 375kg not sold @€735.
3 x slx 6/17 366 kg€880. Fancy. Minky Sl 4/17 445 kg €965. 480 kg red lm with white face 3/17 €1070.
a fr bulock not sold at 1100 for a 530kg animal :woot:

a fr bulock not sold at 1100 for a 530kg animal :woot:

He was as nice a Friesan as I have seen in years.

Another man showed least 30 Ho and a few Aa and a few He out of Go cows. All March April 17 stock . Some only bid to €400. I think €500 for a couple of the Hexx.
If he had taken €50 for them as a calf , he would have been 10 times better off. If they had died as sucks he would be a lot wealthier today.

Another man showed least 30 Ho and a few Aa and a few He out of Go cows. All March April 17 stock . Some only bid to €400. I think €500 for a couple of the Hexx.
If he had taken €50 for them as a calf , he would have been 10 times better off. If they had died as sucks he would be a lot wealthier today.
some BBs out of freisians come marked like the dam, i,ve one of them milking here :blushing:

some BBs out of freisians come marked like the dam, i,ve one of them milking here :blushing:

Fr was on the screen. I presume he would have been registered as a BB if there was any hint of it in his pedigree. He wasn't any way double muscled , just very square.

What weights did he have?
The friesans were p grade I'm presuming?

What weights did he have?
The friesans were p grade I'm presuming?

370 380 an odd barely 400 kg. They seen a lot more dinnertimes than dinners . And all bred by seller. P grade .. Is there an E grade ? EUROPE? They would put any man in bad form looking at , not to mention that sort of money.
That Fr I commented on above was the same age.

370 380 an odd barely 400 kg. They seen a lot more dinnertimes than dinners . And all bred by seller. P grade .. Is there an E grade ? EUROPE? They would put any man in bad form looking at , not to mention that sort of money.
That Fr I commented on above was the same age.

We probably need a grade under P- for some of the cattle that are out there nowadays

We probably need a grade under P- for some of the cattle that are out there nowadays

I must take some pictures of the calves that a lad beside us is feeding (or not feeding as the case may be). I asked him what he paid for them and he wouldn't tell me. I didn't want to insult him by suggesting that he might have got them for nothing. They are in a big stripe of bog, covered in ragworth and you wouldn't put a fat pony onto it to cure her from lamenitis. He was looking at a couple o mine that I hope to factory at the back end and he said that his should be in as good of shape by this time next year. Honestly, they have lost condition in the last 2 months since they came off the bucket. They haven't seen a dust of meal. Jex, feb and march born. Most are Jersey colour. I can't understand why someone would put time into animals and not give them enough to eat.

Back