Brexit

Its quite an interesting thread to read where some of the irish members say how it was a mistake to leave for the uk even though the majority of lads in uk want to go.
Imo, if there was an election tomorrow i couldnt see any more than 54-55% to the winner. Which side that would be i dont know. Kinda feels like eu is making it extra hard for the uk to leave.

They are elected though, they're all democratically elected MEP's. A group is just a voting bloc, their's no "ruling party" in the parliament, and at least 25% of the member states must be represented in each individual group. The president of the parliament is democratically elected by the members. The only Irish party affiliated to the ALDE group is Fianna Fáil, if you don't like what they stand for then don't vote for a Fianna Fáil MEP in the next election. Is that not how democracy works?
Did you see that speech being reported anywhere? What have FF to say about it then?
The MEP's and the parliament have zero executive power. That lies with the council and the commission who are not elected. Look at the Roundup issue. The parliament don't want it banned yet the commission are pushing ahead.
This European Army is a long term plan to rescue the Euro by printing more money for defence contracts.
Read 1984 by George Orwell. That future had three world superpowers constantly at war and monitoring their populations every move.

But hey we get the subsidies!

Kinda feels like eu is making it extra hard for the uk to leave.

That's exactly what they are doing. But for a number of reasons.
- The direct investment that the EU has made into the uk through grants and subsidies etc.
- The financial gain that Britain has had through free trade within the EU and from EU agreements with other countries since Britain joined the EU.

Britain want to leave - but they don't want to have to repay any of the investment. Who would blame them.
Yet they want to continue to trade with eu countries as they did before - As Irish, we depend on this continuity of trade because we are a nett exporter to Britain, but many other EU countries are nett importers from Britain.

There are some EU countries who couldn't care less if Britain leave with no agreement. That's why they are making it hard for the uk to leave. But Ireland, we need for trade with Britain to continue as it was and we need the British pound to be strong so that they can buy our exports at a good price. And Britain themselves need a set up where they can have free trade with their neighboring countries (ie the rest of the eu)

And that wouldnt happen with you..​

I'm no legal eagle but I'm fairly sure it was not a EU law that dictated that ruling but the UK's own bureaucracy and I'm implying that in or out of the EU there will still be a long bureaucracy process, even more so for importing and exporting farm products therefore dispelling the myth that leaving the EU will result in less red tape.

As for your question it could well happen but I'm fairly sure my young lad would burn out a lot of electric motors on scooters driving on the public roads around our place before he would have 6 points on his phantom licence

They need to grow some balls and tell eu to fuck off
They will make a deal that no one is happy with
I would be very surprised if the current deal is accepted. It seems to be a soft soft soft brexit!
Would you be happier at this stage with a crash out option than what's on the table @headcase ?

Better no deal than a bad deal
More worrying is if tresemme gets kicked out the Tories are at odds with each other . They get a new unelected leader there will be a push for a general election and an increased likelihood that waist if space Corbyn could end up prime minister then were all going to get bone,ed

Better no deal than a bad deal
More worrying is if tresemme gets kicked out the Tories are at odds with each other . They get a new unelected leader there will be a push for a general election and an increased likelihood that waist if space Corbyn could end up prime minister then were all going to get bone,ed
Its a terribly tricky situation now, tories are split more surely than the country is so could any new leader hold them together any more than Mrs . May? Does anyone, even his own party want corbyn negotiating this thing?! I doubt it.

You must need some kind of mental imbalance to want to be a politician.

Iv just sold a car to Theresa May, had it priced at £6000 but she said the deal wasnt right, after some tough negotiatons I had to accept £7000, and retained ownership of the car also agreed she wouldn't be able to drive it without my permission, and it was only a few months ago she told me she would rather walk than buy car from me!

Is the Irish border issue a big deal to the ordinary person on the street in England, Wales & Scotland ? Do they feel it's important to maintain the same rules and regulations for Northern Ireland as the rest of the UK, or would it bother them if the border was the Irish Sea? It's the main issue in the news headlines over here, I'd be interested to hear the point of view over there.

Its a terribly tricky situation now, tories are split more surely than the country is so could any new leader hold them together any more than Mrs . May? Does anyone, even his own party want corbyn negotiating this thing?! I doubt it.

You must need some kind of mental imbalance to want to be a politician.
I heard someone suggest if mog was PM and Farage went back to UKIP and the former a coalition government .......

Iv just sold a car to Theresa May, had it priced at £6000 but she said the deal wasnt right, after some tough negotiatons I had to accept £7000, and retained ownership of the car also agreed she wouldn't be able to drive it without my permission, and it was only a few months ago she told me she would rather walk than buy car from me!
Many miles on the car? How were the tyres?

Is the Irish border issue a big deal to the ordinary person on the street in England, Wales & Scotland ? Do they feel it's important to maintain the same rules and regulations for Northern Ireland as the rest of the UK, or would it bother them if the border was the Irish Sea? It's the main issue in the news headlines over here, I'd be interested to hear the point of view over there.
The biggest issue with a lot wouldn't be the rules and regs it would be losing NI all together .

I heard someone suggest if mog was PM and Farage went back to UKIP and the former a coalition government .......
Hmmmm!

On a slightly unrelated topic, are there any conservative politicians in the UK who don't have an Eton and oxbridge education?

Your politicians always seem so far removed from the everyday man on the street you meet in the UK!

I was recently told, there are so many export reliefs and subsidies on dairy products processed in France, exported to UK, then shipped to Northern Ireland and exported to Ireland. Same truck loads up with our yogurt, cheese etc and does same long route back to France. Seemingly more to be made burning diesel and collecting subsidies than from the end product. It’s no wonder borders and trade is such an issue.
I’d say anyone into shares and currency fluctuations is making a killing?

Back