Combines

gEsYWub.jpg

A little Sampo Rosenlew combine for trial plots I presume

@Bog Man @laoisfarmer, I changed the blower/fan belt on the 4060 Sunday, the one running vertical not horizontal as it was badly cracked. It worked away fine just running it idle and the fan was going up and down as normal. Went cutting today and the fan will not go up or down, took off the electric motor that drives it and when wired up and with pressure on it with your hand even it makes an attempt to move but feels like it is very weak or slipping or somthing. Did Ye ever have an issue with that motor before or anyone else on here with a similar deutz. Is it worth bringing to an auto electrician type guy to open up or is it goosed, any opinions lads? Thanks

Mine has a different system on it . Can you split the pulley to allow the motor to work .? That is what I do for the reel speed when I want to slow it .

Mine has a different system on it . Can you split the pulley to allow the motor to work .? That is what I do for the reel speed when I want to slow it .
Sorry I don't fully get what you mean by split the pulley to allow it work? I had the motor taken off and i had it held, when we pushed the button in the cab it tried to work but just kind of kicked a little in my hand but didint move.

@Bog Man @laoisfarmer, I changed the blower/fan belt on the 4060 Sunday, the one running vertical not horizontal as it was badly cracked. It worked away fine just running it idle and the fan was going up and down as normal. Went cutting today and the fan will not go up or down, took off the electric motor that drives it and when wired up and with pressure on it with your hand even it makes an attempt to move but feels like it is very weak or slipping or somthing. Did Ye ever have an issue with that motor before or anyone else on here with a similar deutz. Is it worth bringing to an auto electrician type guy to open up or is it goosed, any opinions lads? Thanks
That gave trouble on ours too. "Tapping" it with a bar was not the answer! Luckily we got a second hand one because they are expensive new.
Is yours stuck fully in or fully out? Seen it happen before.
Did you try wiring it straight to a battery to see if its a power problem?

That gave trouble on ours too. "Tapping" it with a bar was not the answer! Luckily we got a second hand one because they are expensive new.
Is yours stuck fully in or fully out? Seen it happen before.
Did you try wiring it straight to a battery to see if its a power problem?
Nope I will try that in the morning, it was stuck fully open but we were cutting a poor crop of wheat full of small grains that had bydv so I wasn't concerned about blowing it hard but when we took off the motor and ran the machine to see would it turn the bloody pulley opened out to the last so now the fan is stuck down to the last now. I might be able to make up some sort of a threaded bar to manually adjust it to get me out of a hole. Did you get someone to look at it for you or just got another 1?

Sorry I don't fully get what you mean by split the pulley to allow it work? I had the motor taken off and i had it held, when we pushed the button in the cab it tried to work but just kind of kicked a little in my hand but didint move.

I have a Lazy motor on the reel speed and the motor needs to tighten the pulley to slow the reel down . On the pulley without the motor on it there is a treaded hole that I can screw a big bolt into and it expands the pulley making the belt slack . I then operate the motor to tighten the top pulley in which will slow the reel speed . This is all done with the combine stopped but ignition on . Those motors are only meant to be operated when the pulley is turning but the way I do it I can do it when all is stopped .

I have a Lazy motor on the reel speed and the motor needs to tighten the pulley to slow the reel down . On the pulley without the motor on it there is a treaded hole that I can screw a big bolt into and it expands the pulley making the belt slack . I then operate the motor to tighten the top pulley in which will slow the reel speed . This is all done with the combine stopped but ignition on . Those motors are only meant to be operated when the pulley is turning but the way I do it I can do it when all is stopped .
I know what your saying but as you well know you are constantly changing the fan during the day so I really need it working right. I suppose a phone call to the lads in Wexford is on the cards

Same as tm155 says it's stuck open , had an issue once but can't remember the solution , I know I had it apart , not to big a job , some of those electric motors have a set resistance and if it gets stuck on way or the other it won't move , try working it and tapping it and if that doesn't work take it apart .

Nope I will try that in the morning, it was stuck fully open but we were cutting a poor crop of wheat full of small grains that had bydv so I wasn't concerned about blowing it hard but when we took off the motor and ran the machine to see would it turn the bloody pulley opened out to the last so now the fan is stuck down to the last now. I might be able to make up some sort of a threaded bar to manually adjust it to get me out of a hole. Did you get someone to look at it for you or just got another 1?
Did u give the ram a twist in case its just stuck in?
U can screw it out manaully anyway so u might be able to set it that way.
Come to think of it ours wouldnt extend out one time because the bolts were too tight (the one on the end of the ram i think).
Ours couldnt be fixed because the magnets in the motor were broken from "tapping" it

Same as tm155 says it's stuck open , had an issue once but can't remember the solution , I know I had it apart , not to big a job , some of those electric motors have a set resistance and if it gets stuck on way or the other it won't move , try working it and tapping it and if that doesn't work take it apart .
It seems like this got stuck open after I put on the new belt, il hook it up to a battery first, failing that the local auto electrician lad that does motors and starters etc will be the next stop. Moisture in the wheat was a bit high so no harm I stopped, it might calm me down in the morning.

Did u give the ram a twist in case its just stuck in?
U can screw it out manaully anyway so u might be able to set it that way.
Come to think of it ours wouldnt extend out one time because the bolts were too tight (the one on the end of the ram i think).
Ours couldnt be fixed because the magnets in the motor were broken from "tapping" it
Highly possible the bolts are very tight. I didint tap it, ours is the reverse it will not extend in so the pulley split and dropped the fan

Happy memories using our one many moons ago, a 780 Special with a Perkins L4 engine, ran on the smell of red diesel at the time, that one looks in decent condition considering its age. Ours came here around 1962. Still have a radiator here belong to it...
Not expensive for a collector seeing that there's around €600 of tyres on the front.
Would love to see one working at a harvest day out.
MF30

Blackwater boy I had to replace the two fan belts last week on my 4065 and there are a couple of different length belts, depending on year of combine. Also make sure the right size fuse is in it's place, got caught out with that before. JF center Tullamore has all the electric ram motors new for combines at a fraction of the price of new ones and lastly make sure belt tensioner on lower fan belt is good and free, if it's seized it will feck that lower belt up.

Blackwater boy I had to replace the two fan belts last week on my 4065 and there are a couple of different length belts, depending on year of combine. Also make sure the right size fuse is in it's place, got caught out with that before. JF center Tullamore has all the electric ram motors new for combines at a fraction of the price of new ones and lastly make sure belt tensioner on lower fan belt is good and free, if it's seized it will feck that lower belt up.
I got sorted, it was just stuck out. I got right belt as I could get the number off it.
Just a word of caution to anyone with the same type joystick in out 1996 4060, when you push the lever to move their is a heavy spring in the joystick that catches the cog which in turn catches the cable, the spring shattered and fell out just as I came to the headland and the combine just kept driving and the only was of stopping it was turn off the engine, no big deal as I had plenty room to swing away from the ditch but if I was heading for a Ditch or esb pole it could have been a disaster. Just check some wet day that all is well within the joystick

Back