Cover Crops 3.0

No magic yet but happy enough with it sowed 26th July and unfortunately put that date on fodder inventive form:curse:. Luckily only for that field. A few misses as I sowed oats straight off combine and it blocked spouts- another lesson learned.
At what point would you consider it suitable for zero grazing.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    466.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 44
Can I just ask a question and I would like to clarify that I am a fan of cover crops and don’t doubt they benefit the soil but has anyone ever done a cost analysis of cover crops? By that I mean basically, if it costs €70 an acre to establish a cover crop do you get €70 extra in the following cereal crop?? (Figures are only plucked from the sky!!!)

Can I just ask a question and I would like to clarify that I am a fan of cover crops and don’t doubt they benefit the soil but has anyone ever done a cost analysis of cover crops? By that I mean basically, if it costs €70 an acre to establish a cover crop do you get €70 extra in the following cereal crop?? (Figures are only plucked from the sky!!!)
Graze with sheep to recoup establishment and seed costs. Add some N to build bulk above and below ground. 50% of the bulk will be walked into the ground returning a similar amount of organic matter as an ungrazed and unfertilised crop. The bulk which is grazed will be returned through the back end of the sheep, it will be high N and aid in the breakdown of residues

Who cares,there in fashion at the moment!

Introducing livestock back onto tillage farms is the biggest advantage of cover-cropping.
I don't think that intensive chemical lead tillage farming is the way to go, but I also doubt growing 2 crops every year and only getting paid for 1 is economically the best option.

I think keeping the soil in good friable condition makes it easier to get a seedbed which has long term payback . Will you have money out of it next year and the answer is probably not .

Introducing livestock back onto tillage farms is the biggest advantage of cover-cropping.
I don't think that intensive chemical lead tillage farming is the way to go, but I also doubt growing 2 crops every year and only getting paid for 1 is economically the best option.
Extensively grown CC Surley return money?
Turnip and forage rape seed here is £3 a kilo
2kg a acre sown as cheap as possible and a roll then have tack sheep in in the winter :undecided:sheep shitting over your field for a few weeks and the regrowth drying the soil then getting incorporated in the spring:scratchhead:

Back