Daily weather forecast update

Im not up on storage matters but a dairy farmer told me yesterday that those who currently don’t have enough storage cannot apply for a storage grant.

Perhaps I took this up wrong but is it a case that those with inadequate storage don’t want to apply for a grant for fear of being found out?

Please correct me if I’m wrong.
I don't know the answer to that.

Im not up on storage matters but a dairy farmer told me yesterday that those who currently don’t have enough storage cannot apply for a storage grant.

Perhaps I took this up wrong but is it a case that those with inadequate storage don’t want to apply for a grant for fear of being found out?

I'd say your right. You have to have the storage for what you have before you can apply again.
Had an inspection here with the department last year. Inspector was saying that slurry storage is the biggest failure on farms.

I don't know the answer to that.
From what I can see it's all about maximizing grants it seems some profitable farms don't do anything to protect their businesses future unless there's a grant, if the tax payers/general public knew the level of money being claimed by some of these farms and the negative impact what they are building is having on the environment I'd say those grants would be stopped.

There is a way around it if you can show you've been renting a tank with adequate storage for a number of years, I think 2.

Theres a basic principle in most of the department grants that they're supposed to improve how you do your operations, not be there to help you grow your business.

A lot of the grants this concept is unenforceable but slurry storage capacity is a basic function of herd size.

You should be able to get a grant to replace an old store alright but not for extra capacity per se.

You should be able to get a grant to replace an old store alright but not for extra capacity per se.
I see someone locally that built a shed with a tank that's twice the size it needs to be for the size of the shed built on the 'sons' farm, 60% grant for the shed, they are currently moving slurry from the home dairy farm to the shed, the size of the shed should never of got a grant for the amount of acres in the farm.

I can tell you we put up a parlour and not one person knew what size of a tank to put in to accommodate the dairy washings. The co co where out before we ever started to check on things and they never mentioned on tank size either. The guys in Holland are about 5years ahead of us when it comes to slurry usage. They have fields mapped and flow meters on injection systems linked to a gps and know exactly what is going out. In 10 years trailing shoes will be a thing of the past.

Totally.

It'll be injection only soon enough, storage requirements increased and derogations gone.

And It'll be no ones fault but our own :sad:

Maybe they will also look at calender farming as part of that as well then. :unsure:

It seems crazy that in less than two weeks, it will be open season again and it might be after spilling rain for a week and by the rules it would be okay to go spreading.:rolleyes2:

Maybe they will also look at calender farming as part of that as well then. :unsure:

It seems crazy that in less than two weeks, it will be open season again and it might be after spilling rain for a week and by the rules it would be okay to go spreading.:rolleyes2:
Agree. And I think this is where a lot of the water issues lie. Before the closed period came in lads and tankers were flat out and as soon as the ban will be lifted all hell will break loose again be it fine or not. I have some ground I could get a load to the ac of slurry out on now but I have to wait. Now tanks are getting full and it will have to go some where

Back