Domed caps for bale lifter?

The Man

Good afternoon to the people.
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a place that sells curved caps to go on the end of 88mm diameter piping?:weld:
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Could you make them out of pipe cut in half and beaten around a bit or some plate and dress it up with the grinder?

Would be alot of messing cutting and dressing the ends that way. I did a search on google and can find them for sale in england but not in ireland.

A disk cut out then put in a press with a piece of tube to allow it to dome?

Might not work but does in my imagination,

Does anyone know on the mckenna or flemin lifters is the pin half ways up the pipe just welded to the outside of the pipe or is it put fully through the pipe?

Does anyone know on the mckenna or flemin lifters is the pin half ways up the pipe just welded to the outside of the pipe or is it put fully through the pipe?

pin it recessed into pipe and welded only on what u see, also dont copy them as they are not strong enough, for us anyway, need heavier pipe, think they work 5mm and it bends too easy, i have seen mckenna making all there stuff and that is the only problem i have.

pin it recessed into pipe and welded only on what u see, also dont copy them as they are not strong enough, for us anyway, need heavier pipe, think they work 5mm and it bends too easy, i have seen mckenna making all there stuff and that is the only problem i have.

Sorry if im being overly nosey but you mean that the pin does not go through the pipe its just welded to the outside?

Sorry if im being overly nosey but you mean that the pin does not go through the pipe its just welded to the outside?

nono, be nosey, its the only way to find out, we get steel of them and buy what he makes if we need it, cant make much cheaper than buying of him. yes they burn a slot for it to recess into the pipe so it sits flush with the base of the pipe, pin it only halfway accross/into pipe, it is then only welbed around the burn and pin joint as the pin doesnt reach other side of pipe, it is a strong job.

They have drilled a hole and put the pin in but its only welded on the outside,

Edit: question already answered

on the flemming they drill the hole straight through the pipe and weld the pin on both sides.
they do grind it down on the inside of the pipe then to hide it.
Bingo thats exactly what i want.:thumbup2:
you sound like a man who is going making his own lifter?

I made a couple of them last year and sold them. And Im gonna try and refine the thing this year and make them with grease able bushings and ram trip. I want to do the thing right.
What wall thickness is the main beam in the flemin or mckenna? If anyone knows

I made a couple of them last year and sold them. And Im gonna try and refine the thing this year and make them with grease able bushings and ram trip. I want to do the thing right.
What wall thickness is the main beam in the flemin or mckenna? If anyone knows

Make em good and thick! As far as I'm concerned people are too worried about the weight of them, most people shifting bales in any serious way has a decent loader too boot, so a few extra kg's in making them stronger won't affect them!

We have a flemming here, one add on i would do is make the legs shorter, or have the brackets down a bit somehow, would be able to lift just that liiittlle bit higher to stack four high a bit easier, and would be more practical for straw with the sleeves off (I know I know 4 high is too high..... blah blah)

Also talking straw, make some kind of receivers to hold vertical pipes (maybe even the removed sleeves) to make handling more than two straw hesstons safer!

Make em good and thick! As far as I'm concerned people are too worried about the weight of them, most people shifting bales in any serious way has a decent loader too boot, so a few extra kg's in making them stronger won't affect them!

We have a flemming here, one add on i would do is make the legs shorter, or have the brackets down a bit somehow, would be able to lift just that liiittlle bit higher to stack four high a bit easier, and would be more practical for straw with the sleeves off (I know I know 4 high is too high..... blah blah)

Also talking straw, make some kind of receivers to hold vertical pipes (maybe even the removed sleeves) to make handling more than two straw hesstons safer!

Think its a bale lifter he's making not the stacker type your referring too?

Double trip type bale lifters is the plan.
I work full time as a fabricator welder and am trying to get me own business up an running. I have a new workshop built and am trying to get started.

I work full time as a fabricator welder and am trying to get me own business up an running. I have a new workshop built and am trying to get started.

Well when you advance to bale stackers....

best of luck with the venture neway.

you asked about the thickness of the frame, i know on the single one in a flemming its no more than 4mm, id doubt its 5 tbh, might be tho.
still, whatever it is, its too light.

the only problem is, if ya make it bomb proof, it ill be too dear, if ya make it too light, it ill close you.

best of luck with the venture neway.

you asked about the thickness of the frame, i know on the single one in a flemming its no more than 4mm, id doubt its 5 tbh, might be tho.
still, whatever it is, its too light.

the only problem is, if ya make it bomb proof, it ill be too dear, if ya make it too light, it ill close you.

I was thinkin for the double lifter the main beam out of 120x120x8 and the rest of 100x100x5

I suppose the question is, are the fleming etc frames actually breaking or are they fine for the job?

Back