Factory Prices General thread

There up more than five, but Really only back where we started before the corona. I reckon 4 euros a kg will be got yet.
They are along way back still from where they were before Corona. At that price lads were losing hand over fist. So I'm not getting too excited just yet.

They are along way back still from where they were before Corona. At that price lads were losing hand over fist. So I'm not getting too excited just yet.

The way I look at the cattle trade lately Is if I can get a middling price in the summer early autumn and forget about trying to finish cattle in spring I'm better off.

Im thinking keep less stock but keep them a bit longer and let the grass do the work. Instead of buying meal for them.

Im tempted to jump on the band wagon and go all dairy and get the calves out the gate ASAP. But the father loves the cattle end of things. And I'm not sure if I want to calve more cows.

The way I look at the cattle trade lately Is if I can get a middling price in the summer early autumn and forget about trying to finish cattle in spring I'm better off.

Im thinking keep less stock but keep them a bit longer and let the grass do the work. Instead of buying meal for them.

Im tempted to jump on the band wagon and go all dairy and get the calves out the gate ASAP. But the father loves the cattle end of things. And I'm not sure if I want to calve more cows.

100% agree with your thinking. Beef needs to rise 10c a month between 1st of January and 1st of June. Otherwise the trick cant be played.

I assume everyone is going the above direction. I'm winter finishing about 20% the number I used too. 20% too much still. Whatever price you have to take September to December is always better than spring price. Most finishers just cant afford to get off the treadmill.

Could you grow more tillage?

Not tillage land. The bit that's dry would be rocky. Nobody around here has tillage anymore

I'm noticing more and more people around us in Galway with tillage. Some of the lads that always had it are putting in more acres and some that haven't had it in my time around there are putting it in. It can be hard to justify it when tillage prices are so low, but keeping less animals and growing most of the feed that you need to finish them must be giving some return albeit small?

I'm noticing more and more people around us in Galway with tillage. Some of the lads that always had it are putting in more acres and some that haven't had it in my time around there are putting it in. It can be hard to justify it when tillage prices are so low, but keeping less animals and growing most of the feed that you need to finish them must be giving some return albeit small?
You have the straw as well and can rotate it with reseeding as well.

Gets odder and odder. 3 suppliers had 700 cattle between them. Anyone selling that amount of cattle regularly will nearly be feedlot status (locked herd not suitable for export) as there is constantly animals coming back with lesions at slaughter, our else they would run a to beef herd for domestic market and another herd for exporting to over come such problems. Something else going on here between the lines, whether the exporter is been hindered by outside forces or the exporter is struggling to attain the animals for whatever reason

Any update with quotes since yesterday's paper? I am told there is more to be got than is being quoted but it's hard got if that makes sense.

I don't know anything about bulls but that doesn't seem a great price them. Cattle are getting that.

U bull price is usually around cattle base price nowadays, long time when we used to take a premium for bulls. A U bull used be worth maybe 10p over a U bullock. A bull premium of €180 and a suckler cow premium (???). those were the days :cry:

I don't know anything about bulls but that doesn't seem a great price them. Cattle are getting that.
If they're under the 16 months it was €3.50 base on the grid last week. You get the 12c on top of that which you don't if over. It's a bloody pity to be selling cattle at that, prices were shaping up to be 30c higher were it not for the plague. Haven't heard a price this week.

Back